Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,896 of 8,818
Good day,
I recently auditioned the HD800S at a local head-fi shop.  I was simply blown away, and I believe I whispered oh my god to myself a couple of times while listening to tracks that I thought I knew inside and out (in terms of sound).  It is safe to say that I now want to upgrade to Sennheiser's flagship headphone.  However, I did notice that at some points while listening to the HD800S that the bass seemed a tad bloated, as if a mini-earthquake took over the sound of anything else within the track, like a rumble with intense vibrations, reverberation.  So, I began to look at the HD800, which I unfortunately have not had the chance to audition. 

Basically, I have a $1700 budget.  My thoughts are divided as follows:

1. Buy an HD800S and stick with my iFi Micro iCAN SE amplifier setup

2. Buy an HD800, have around $500 (if I am able to sell my AKG K712 Pro headphones) to spend on an amp, and implement the SD mod.

For one, I am all for a tight, articulate bass (my ER-4PT IEM has this type of bass, where nothing is bloated, yet just right).  I truly feel that the bass has a vital factor in changing how the overall tonality of a headphone sounds.  Then again, I wonder .. is there any possibility to counteract the bass of the HD800S to make the bass more similar to that of the HD800?  Finally, which option sounds better to ya'll?

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,897 of 8,818
A different dac amp combo will create a different feel. For example chord TT and gsx mk2 the bass is tight yet full and textured. A real treat.
Then i want fun its la900 but i digress.
Concerning mod or not, you might as well stick to the S

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,898 of 8,818
Personally I would rather buy a super cheap HD800 and stick a super dupont resonator inside it.
You save a good $300-400 that way, money that can be spent on better gear.

The only thing you really lose is that that 1dB or so decrease to the 6kHz peak and about 5% worth of warmth signature the HD800S brings. However, one ends up gaining better bass articulation. Throw in a copper cable to combat the stock silver plated ofc, there's your warmth. EQ the 6kHz treble down slightly and increase the bass a little and voila. This is all coming from a guy who's owned both the HD800 & HD800S (at the same time). Did many A/B comparison. It's not worth it. Want more warmth? Throw in some tubes if you don't want to EQ. You're done.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,899 of 8,818
  Personally I would rather buy a super cheap HD800S and stick a super dupont resonator inside it.

Do you mean do the SDR mod with a HD800? I'm pretty sure the HD800S already has something similar built in.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,900 of 8,818
  Personally I would rather buy a super cheap HD800S and stick a super dupont resonator inside it.

The only thing you really lose is that that 1dB or so decrease to the 6kHz peak and about 5% worth of warmth signature the HD800S brings. However, one ends up gaining better bass articulation. Throw in a copper cable to combat the stock silver plated ofc, there's your warmth. EQ the 6kHz treble down slightly and increase the bass a little and voila. This is all coming from a guy who's owned both the HD800 & HD800S (at the same time). Did many A/B comparison. It's not worth it. Want more warmth? Throw in some tubes if you don't want to EQ. You're done.

I haven't had much luck recently with finding a super cheap HD800S.  I will be auditioning the HD800 tomorrow though!  I hope this will narrow down my mindset on which HD version to buy. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,901 of 8,818
  Do you mean do the SDR mod with a HD800? I'm pretty sure the HD800S already has something similar built in.

I stand corrected. I meant the HD800. Sorry.

I haven't had much luck recently with finding a super cheap HD800S.  I will be auditioning the HD800 tomorrow though!  I hope this will narrow down my mindset on which HD version to buy. 

I meant to say the HD800. I think there are some available in the sale section for around $700ish. You can probably low ball it to $650-700.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,902 of 8,818
  Good day,
I recently auditioned the HD800S at a local head-fi shop.  I was simply blown away, and I believe I whispered oh my god to myself a couple of times while listening to tracks that I thought I knew inside and out (in terms of sound).  It is safe to say that I now want to upgrade to Sennheiser's flagship headphone.  However, I did notice that at some points while listening to the HD800S that the bass seemed a tad bloated, as if a mini-earthquake took over the sound of anything else within the track, like a rumble with intense vibrations, reverberation.  So, I began to look at the HD800, which I unfortunately have not had the chance to audition. 

Basically, I have a $1700 budget.  My thoughts are divided as follows:

1. Buy an HD800S and stick with my iFi Micro iCAN SE amplifier setup

2. Buy an HD800, have around $500 (if I am able to sell my AKG K712 Pro headphones) to spend on an amp, and implement the SD mod.

For one, I am all for a tight, articulate bass (my ER-4PT IEM has this type of bass, where nothing is bloated, yet just right).  I truly feel that the bass has a vital factor in changing how the overall tonality of a headphone sounds.  Then again, I wonder .. is there any possibility to counteract the bass of the HD800S to make the bass more similar to that of the HD800?  Finally, which option sounds better to ya'll?

If you like the etymotic then you will prefer the HD800 as they are both close to neutral.

You can add the Superdupont mod to reduce the spike but it was still bright to my ears, especially with my Mjolnir 2 LISST, it was almost piercing my ears on some songs, with tubes it was alright though.

In the end, I prefered the HD800S because it was more musical also keeping most of the sound stage and detail retrieval. 

=> Its all in the brain, you have been used to the etymotics which are dead neutral and so is the HD800. If you keep listening to the HD800S for some days, I'm sure you will get used to it and like it too, same with any other headphone :)

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,903 of 8,818
@sorrodge, the inventor of the super dupont mod has stated that if you are starting from scratch, you're better off just buying 800S. However, if you already have the 800 and you are annoyed by the treble peak, implement the dupont mod. Is that still your position @ sorrodge?

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,904 of 8,818
I imagine you're thinking to this conclusion (from http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary/240#post_12350999 ) 

1. For someone who already hates the HD800, it is doubtful that the HD800S will drastically change their opinion. The HD800S is still a HD800 in that it is bright-ish, on the cold side and somewhat analytical… it still offers a kind of  "austere" or cerebral listening experience.
  2. For the original HD800's diehard fans, I can imagine some disappointment. They'll probably miss the special excitement provided by the HD800 treble and instrument separation. Switching to the more “normal” HD800S would probably be like asking a cocaine addict to live only with clear water. I really think that people who already enjoy their HD800 with classical music only have no urge to buy a HD800S except if they are after more tonal accuracy and better timbres. I personally prefer the 800S but YMMV.
  3. For people who already liked the HD800 but still struggled with its treble and cold tone/weak mids, I highly encourage them to give the HD800S a listen. The new sibling could be a winner for them.
  4. For HD800 owners who don't want to lose money due to a low resale price but want to benefit from HD800S qualities, EQ and/or mods are probably the way to go. But, if you asked me what my advice is between a new HD800 and a new HD800 S, I'd honestly say that you should take the 800S.

I still somewhat stick to that opinion but prices changed a bit and nowadays a brand new HD800 costs the same as a used one a year ago.

Moreover , i can understand people making different choices. the HD800SD is a kind of halfway between HD800 and HD800S. Some people could prefer that option.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #1,905 of 8,818
I added prion 4 dhc silver type 6 litz cable to hd800S to get even more detail, increase soundstage, and proximity. As opposed to trying to add warmth to hd800. I still stand by hd800S as the better can,unless your bottom line is bottom line

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back