Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 30, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,471 of 8,728
  I heard some at my local audio store. I REALLY loved Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles on the HD800S on a Chord DAVE amp. Not sure of the source, probably CD streaming. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the HD800S. What sort of amp should I be aiming for? I'd prefer to stay under $800 for the amp or a dacamp if that's the best option. I have a bottlehead crack/speedball for my HD650, a schiit magni modi 2 ubers. I listen to everything, but have enjoyed recent/modern popular genres and electronic things on the crack/650 for a while. Thanks fellas :)

Your bottlehead crack should be a  very very good amp for your incoming HD800S :wink: . No need to invest more for now. Enjoy your combo, You'll need to save money for a real upgrade :wink: 

if you're into DIY , ECP torpedo III or Bottlehead Mainline are options to consider :) 

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,472 of 8,728

Your bottlehead crack should be a  very very good amp for your incoming HD800S :wink: . No need to invest more for now. Enjoy your combo, You'll need to save money for a real upgrade :wink: 

if you're into DIY , ECP torpedo III or Bottlehead Mainline are options to consider :) 

I've hoped to use it with my bottlehead crack but I definitely need some new tubes for it first.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,473 of 8,728
@chuckwheat : just resist to buy anything before to get your HD800S. I now the itch is there but be strong and wait. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,475 of 8,728
  Hi,

If someone has heard the Hd800s and HD650, could you please offer a few words on comparing the two headphones? 

I have heard the Hd650 and Hd800 and l really like the hd650.  The Hd800 wasn't my cup of tea.  But here in NZ not many places have Hd800s. 

I am using a WA22 amp and Metrum Musette Dac.  I listen to mostly Jazz, Classic Rock, and some house music/dicso.  

Thank you.

I recently built a bottlehead crack, and took it to local hifi store about a week ago to listen to 800S and 650s.  (after reading the great match of these with the crack).

I had compared 800 and LCD-X about a year ago, and ended up going with the LCD-X, due to the peak on the 800 with ringing in my ears.  Comparing the 800S and 650, I couldn't decide between them on the crack, so ended with both :D  (and happily say 800S dont have the same ringing as the 800 did)

As EvenR mentioned, 650 are great, and for sound vs $ I'm not sure they could be beaten, but they aren't as transparent as the 800S.  It really is a good sound though, and I'd happily listen to them for hours.  When i switched back and forth with the 800S, it was like it was more pure / clear, with the 650 being quite a bit darker.

I've not had many hours through either of them yet, and doing a bit of tube rolling too, so this was really based on an hour or two demo'ing (in quiet room).  Music genre's are mainly electronic & alternative.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,476 of 8,728
  My setup is now T&A DAC 8 using Roon-->HQPlayer upsampling all to DSD512 -->Cavalli Liquid Gold (just took delivery, replacing my Liquid Carbon)-->HD800s & LCD-X.

The new LAu is barely broken in but I have to say I have never heard a more revealing, detailed, natural sounding system with such accurate timbre and amazing transparency as the HD800s with the LAu even with the LAu fresh out of the box.  I understand this is an expensive system out of reach of many but it also demonstrates how much latitude there is with the HD800s to transmit a signal like few other cans are capable of.  I was in awe of the liquid carbon but this is truly on another level.  I can't ever go back to the LCD-X which sound great but the HD800s is in a totally different league, much larger now with the LAu than before.  The HD800s are truly a window to your equipment and the better it is the better the HD800s perform.  

While I do most of my listening on my "main system", which I love, composed of Nola Concert Grands/ARC GS150/REF10/MSB Diamond DAC V with Vahalla 2 cabling (listed as a reference not to brag), nothing has knocked me off my feet as much as the current can setup I have in terms of transparency.  Pretty startling headphones.  Also let me say, I am not a detail freak that needs to hear a mouse fart in the recording hall and in many cases such detail is unnatural to say the least and many systems are sold just on such detail, yet the HD800s provide such accurate and honest level of detail it is hard to express in words.  Having had some of the best speakers ever made over the last 30 years, I have never heard this level of accuracy in my life.  Kudos to Sennheiser.  I can't wait for the LAu to full break in.  

Looks like you know what you're talking about! Impressive setup. 
I'm a bit surprised you find the HD800S that good though. Sure these are fine headphones but the more time I spend with mine, the more I find the bass to be ... not so good. I recently bought Earsonics Velvet IEM and wow, it became clear what I was missing with the HD800S. In comparison, the bass is slow, poorly defined and totally lacks physical impact (T1.2 or Audeze cans are better at this too). The rest is top notch but for a reference level headphone, it is underwhelming. Maybe they are just not for me and I would be better off with the new Focal Elear or maybe it's my setup but I doubt it. While not crazy high end, it's not slouch either. Yggy + Taurus MK2 fed by Audirvana in USB. Balanced obviously. Thoughts?

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,477 of 8,728
I have owned both McIntosh and Audeze headphones.  I was not thrilled with either.  I absolutely love my Sennheiser HD800S headphones.  In my opinion they both sound better, clearer, smoother, better head imagining; and what is even more important to me is they are vastly more comfortable to me.  If I can't wear a headphone for whatever length of time I want then they are not usable to me.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,478 of 8,728

Looks like you know what you're talking about! Impressive setup. 
I'm a bit surprised you find the HD800S that good though. Sure these are fine headphones but the more time I spend with mine, the more I find the bass to be ... not so good. I recently bought Earsonics Velvet IEM and wow, it became clear what I was missing with the HD800S. In comparison, the bass is slow, poorly defined and totally lacks physical impact (T1.2 or Audeze cans are better at this too). The rest is top notch but for a reference level headphone, it is underwhelming. Maybe they are just not for me and I would be better off with the new Focal Elear or maybe it's my setup but I doubt it. While not crazy high end, it's not slouch either. Yggy + Taurus MK2 fed by Audirvana in USB. Balanced obviously. Thoughts?

I understand your point, trust me.  I also have the LCD-X and am likely going to part with them. I have nothing against them and find them superb, however, just about every headphone (and big system for that matter) is somewhat of a compromise of priorities.  Anyone who tells you different, IMHO, is full of it.  Usually what I like to do is be honest, understand nothing is perfect, no matter how much money you throw at it.  My first priority is accuracy (a somewhat broad term with many meanings to all which I won't delve into here as to my meaning) and second is sound stage and the ability to transport you to the event, whether the studio or performance.  It is rare to find a speaker, headphone and more importantly a system that can do both.  That is why I finally settled on the Nola Concert Grands in my big system and have it so dialed in (of course big systems are totally room dependent and too few people understand that and throw big bucks at equipment that can never overcome room shortfalls and why so many churn and are never happy) that when people hear it they leave amazed.  Is it "perfect", of course not, despite the huge cash I have into my system; however little has changed in my big system for the last 4 years as it is just that good.  I don't think I could do better, at least given my preferences, as well as those who hear it.

Back to the HD800s.  I was no fan of the HD800 and found the LCD-X preferable to the HD800.  I can't just blame the headphone as back in the day when I first got into cans, I was driving both with a HUGO, while good, didn't really do the HD800 justice but was more than adequate and quite good on the LCD-X.  Then came the HD800s with the hyperbole of "what was fixed" so I got them on a 60 day money back guarantee from Crutchfield (after first being sent a used pair from Amazon).  I was lucky enough to have taken delivery of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon prior to the time (with the guarantee of an upgrade to the Lau if I wanted) and a long demo of the iFi Pro Can amp.  I was literally blown away by both.  Yes the HD800s lacked the low end definition of the LCD-X BUT when trying the HD800s with these new amps I knew I was listening to something very very special that I have rarely experienced before except in my big system.  Having said the above, I was truly enjoying both cans.  Along comes the Lau and it is in another league.  Is the bass of the HD800s "perfect"?  No.  Does it have amazing articulation and a sense of being there when driven by the Lau, absolutely.  A total transformation and illustration of how good these headphones can be when the Lau showed up.  They are more than capable of producing excellent and very accurate bass with the right equipment, maybe just not with the punch of some of the others, which I personally do not miss when the whole picture is considered as the sum of the parts is just so much better than any one aspect of these headphones.  I was in this business back in the 80s and have been into this stuff since, although headphones only in the last 4 years, but I know when I have a system dialed in to my liking and with the HD800s, T&A DAC DSD/Mojo and Cavalli Lau I got it.  

There is no right or wrong answer just a matter of taste of the individual.  There are no absolutes.  If the HD800s doesn't meet your needs with the system you have or anticipating on getting don't waste your time with my or others' preferences and opinions.  I also live by the tenet that I am never married to anything and hence when I give an opinion, it is not a justification or rationalization of my purchases, just an honest opinion as I never buy anything that I am afraid to walk away from if I don't like it. I really find the HD800s in my current setup kind of ephemeral like my big system that just allows me to lose myself in the venue.  When your system allows you to do that it is a special system.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,479 of 8,728
Hd800S has sufficient bass depending on what music you listen to. Take downbeat, funk, electronic that has a slower driving tempo with sub bass, even jazz where the percussion and bass are extended, is balanced and fine. Well that's through TT as I'm still waiting for my dhc interconnects for my mk2 and prion 4 balanced cable, which I'm sure will take these fine cans to even better places. Of course if I'm feeling bass headish I go to la900 and maybe you need to explore different cans. I will not comment on igg tauraus set up as I only have second hand heresay on that.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,480 of 8,728
Has anyone tried this from a Vali 2 amp yet? Can anyone tell me how it sounds? I'm running a DacMini CX as well , and I think I might switch to the Mimby, on the basis that it has a smaller footprint than my current setup. Would that work well with the HD800S's?

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #1,481 of 8,728
I picked up a VALI 2 last week to have a second amp option with some tube flavor. I currently use my HD800S with the Sennheiser amp. Although I haven't had enough time to form a final impression my initial one is, the VALI has plenty of power and the 2 have very good synergy.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,482 of 8,728
So I am gutted. I have wanted HD800's for a long time, but "settled" for HD650's which I love, then the T1's which I also loved. 
The thing that put me off the HD800 the first time was that they seemed quite sibilant which is something I am sensitive despite enjoying female vocalists like Celine Dion etc. 

When the HD800S were annouced, I'd read they had addressed a lack of bass, and that Sibilance wasn't so much an issue. 
I couldn't justify the cost, but recently was offered a pair at an impossible to refuse price. 

I got them today, connected it to my Schiit Bifrost and Crack Amp (With Speedball) and I am GUTTED. They sound terrible!
Not in a faulty (I don't think) way, but music I've listened to on lots of different systems seem all wrong. 

One example is that Alanis Morrisette - Empathy sounds head filling, warm and the drums are very present, but in the HD800S the drums have no "impact". I can hear them, and Alanis sounds fine, but her voice overpowers the music, when this doesn't happen when I listen with other devices. 

I have only listened for an hour, but music that usually gives me joy and causes the hair on my neck to stand by, is just ... meh. 

I am praying maybe something is wrong in my setup, but I am not sure how. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,483 of 8,728
  So I am gutted. ........

Not in a faulty (I don't think) way, but music I've listened to on lots of different systems seem all wrong. 

Hate to say…but you may not be a candidate for the 800s...they are a radical departure from the HD6XX series…you're not going to experience “sounds head filling, warm” …that’s not what the 800s are all about. But if one has a hankering for technical precision, sound stage and image separation they’re hard to beat…as for the base I’ve been listening to Simon Posford’s Shpongle  albums which are a treat on the HD800S and the lower end comes across with plenty of depth, body and impact.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,484 of 8,728
Emmmm.... Alanis sounds spectacular on my HD800S.  The best I have ever heard her.  Wondering if there is an issue some where else.  By the way, the 800S are pure accuracy, as is most of my equipment.  I want my headphones to have the sound (or similar) sound signature as my speakers, which the HD800S do.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,485 of 8,728
"I was offered a pair at an impossible to refuse price" made me double take right there. Cant speak for your system, or alanis, but don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back