Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,456 of 8,727
I don't get the ringing thing, but hey maybe it's just me

Perhaps it is just my setup 
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,457 of 8,727
Well it's Mahler, I'd probably have my head back, eyes closed, and tiny spittle coming out the lower side of my mouth by that point of the piece.
tongue.gif

LOL. Well, we all have different ways of listening to music.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,458 of 8,727
Hi,

If someone has heard the Hd800s and HD650, could you please offer a few words on comparing the two headphones? 

I have heard the Hd650 and Hd800 and l really like the hd650.  The Hd800 wasn't my cup of tea.  But here in NZ not many places have Hd800s. 

I am using a WA22 amp and Metrum Musette Dac.  I listen to mostly Jazz, Classic Rock, and some house music/dicso.  

Thank you.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,459 of 8,727
  Hi,

If someone has heard the Hd800s and HD650, could you please offer a few words on comparing the two headphones? 

I have heard the Hd650 and Hd800 and l really like the hd650.  The Hd800 wasn't my cup of tea.  But here in NZ not many places have Hd800s. 

I am using a WA22 amp and Metrum Musette Dac.  I listen to mostly Jazz, Classic Rock, and some house music/dicso.  

Thank you.

If you didn't like the HD800 at all but you really loved the HD650, then based off of reviews and what people have been saying, i'd be more interested in the Focal Elear. It's been called the HD650 on steroids. 

I've had both HD650 and currently HD800S and i think both are awesome at presenting the recording honestly while getting so many things right at the same time. The HD800S offers a more transparent and live feel, with the mids and highs being slightly more noticeable. The HD650 is more smooth and laid back, while being more focused on the mids and lows with the highs being a bit recessed in comparison.

If you want higher resolution, soundstage and honesty above all you go for the HD800S. It's the most balanced and truthfully revealing headphone i've heard, whereas the HD800 was just as revealing but with a more cold and metallic tone to the overall sound. The HD800S is clearly the most natural of the two.

If you're a die hard fan of the smooth presentation of the HD650, and want something you can listen to for days in a very relaxed manner, perhaps while working on the computer, then i'd go for the less damanding sound of the HD650.

What i mean by demanding, is that the HD800S, is a headphone that doesn't just offer up the sound to you, and you go "yeah, that sounds pretty good". They require your full attention in return, and with that, they'll absolutely wow you. I have a much better time when i listen to them at night in a quiet room, where i can really zone in and receive all the information that other headphones are missing.

This became a way longer answer than i initially planned, but in conclusion
biggrin.gif
:

i'd say that the HD650 is the best value headphone that i've ever bought, and if i wanted something like it, but in an upgraded version, i'd start looking at what people are writing about the Elear and maybe go try those.

If you feel like HD650's are "holding you back" and you desire the full transparency of your music, but while still sounding natural and like they were intended for humans, i'd say the HD800S is a very solid choice. Especially when glancing back up at your preferred genres, which take very kindly to an adequately expansive soundstage.

deadhorse.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,460 of 8,727
EvenR thank you so much for that detailed response.  

I had the LCD-X before and I really enjoyed those.  Then the hd800s came out and after reading reviews, I sold the LCD-X.  I was planning on getting the HD800s but then I heard the Hd650.  From a price point the HD650 are fantastic value.  

Focal Elear are definitely on my cards now, now that you have mentioned it.  Will probably wait till I hear them before I decide.  

Thank you once again.  

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,461 of 8,727
  EvenR thank you so much for that detailed response.  

I had the LCD-X before and I really enjoyed those.  Then the hd800s came out and after reading reviews, I sold the LCD-X.  I was planning on getting the HD800s but then I heard the Hd650.  From a price point the HD650 are fantastic value.  

Focal Elear are definitely on my cards now, now that you have mentioned it.  Will probably wait till I hear them before I decide.  

Thank you once again.  

No problem. They're rarely intended, they just turn out like that for some reason. 
biggrin.gif

HD650's certainly are a great value. With your WA22 and Musette though, i'd say it makes a lot of sense to make the jump to high end headphones.

The WA22 has been among the most recited and preferred amps for flagship Sennheiser headphones for a long time. With the Musette, it should make for a nice, smooth and slightly warm presentation.

I have to point that out, as I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you'll love the HD800S. You have just about a perfect matching taste and setup for them already.

So, if you're low on patience or can't audition the Elear at home or anywhere as i can't, you at least have my wholehearted recommendation to go by.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,462 of 8,727

these i think are separate issues. Sibilance pertaining to the upper K spike is not an issue with S. The resonance, or phasey sound of the hd800S is attractive to some and accentuates the wide stage feel. this can be counterd by cross feed ( this is available on the TT and chord products, sorry if your dac does not) this will transfer some of the separation which is troubling ones brain by moving some of the channel fr to the other side. Otherwise the concept of a left channel in your left ear right in your right etc produces this effect. now certain genres i feel the need for more cross feed than others. Modern classical with a large sound i feel needs some cross feed. But this is personal and one has to play with it. Now i can turn off the feed and don't mind the phasey separation effect, its also kinda cool, or tighten up the sound stage as it were. 
By the way all head phones have this issue or effect. The wide stage of hd800S just makes it a tad more noticeable.

After many frustrating hours of listening, the resonance issue was still bothering me and causing fatigue. Though one idea came to me based on your feedback and comment. My dac/amp does not have a crossfeed option like you mentioned, but (I know it is not optimal) I decided to take one album in FLAC convert it to WAV (the Marantz only takes wav files) and using Foobar for conversion using the Meier Crossfeed. To my astonishment the resonance was significantly decreased if not completely gone. I could not believe it! On top of that the sound was not fatiguing at all. Thank you good sir! Seems like my issue is fixed! cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,464 of 8,727
 I don't think the HD800S will change your mind :wink: .

Yeah the Hd800 were too analytical sounding and cold.  In saying that they were plugged into a V200 amp and the source was an iPhone 5!  So maybe I am being harsh on them. 

As EvenR said before, the Focal Elears are like Hd650 on roids.  That pretty much sealed the deal to be honest.  I will order them from online and should be here in New Zealand within a week. 

Thanks again. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,465 of 8,727

Yeah the Hd800 were too analytical sounding and cold.  In saying that they were plugged into a V200 amp and the source was an iPhone 5!  So maybe I am being harsh on them. 

As EvenR said before, the Focal Elears are like Hd650 on roids.  That pretty much sealed the deal to be honest.  I will order them from online and should be here in New Zealand within a week. 

Thanks again. 

I'm just parroting what i've read tbh, so do your own research. I hope i made that clear from my first reply to you. 

But i assume that you've made the purchase already, so i look forward to your comparison with the HD650. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,466 of 8,727
My setup is now T&A DAC 8 using Roon-->HQPlayer upsampling all to DSD512 -->Cavalli Liquid Gold (just took delivery, replacing my Liquid Carbon)-->HD800s & LCD-X.

The new LAu is barely broken in but I have to say I have never heard a more revealing, detailed, natural sounding system with such accurate timbre and amazing transparency as the HD800s with the LAu even with the LAu fresh out of the box.  I understand this is an expensive system out of reach of many but it also demonstrates how much latitude there is with the HD800s to transmit a signal like few other cans are capable of.  I was in awe of the liquid carbon but this is truly on another level.  I can't ever go back to the LCD-X which sound great but the HD800s is in a totally different league, much larger now with the LAu than before.  The HD800s are truly a window to your equipment and the better it is the better the HD800s perform.  

While I do most of my listening on my "main system", which I love, composed of Nola Concert Grands/ARC GS150/REF10/MSB Diamond DAC V with Vahalla 2 cabling (listed as a reference not to brag), nothing has knocked me off my feet as much as the current can setup I have in terms of transparency.  Pretty startling headphones.  Also let me say, I am not a detail freak that needs to hear a mouse fart in the recording hall and in many cases such detail is unnatural to say the least and many systems are sold just on such detail, yet the HD800s provide such accurate and honest level of detail it is hard to express in words.  Having had some of the best speakers ever made over the last 30 years, I have never heard this level of accuracy in my life.  Kudos to Sennheiser.  I can't wait for the LAu to full break in.  

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,467 of 8,727
I heard some at my local audio store. I REALLY loved Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles on the HD800S on a Chord DAVE amp. Not sure of the source, probably CD streaming. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the HD800S. What sort of amp should I be aiming for? I'd prefer to stay under $800 for the amp or a dacamp if that's the best option. I have a bottlehead crack/speedball for my HD650, a schiit magni modi 2 ubers. I listen to everything, but have enjoyed recent/modern popular genres and electronic things on the crack/650 for a while. Thanks fellas :)

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,468 of 8,727
  I heard some at my local audio store. I REALLY loved Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles on the HD800S on a Chord DAVE amp. Not sure of the source, probably CD streaming. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the HD800S. What sort of amp should I be aiming for? I'd prefer to stay under $800 for the amp or a dacamp if that's the best option. I have a bottlehead crack/speedball for my HD650, a schiit magni modi 2 ubers. I listen to everything, but have enjoyed recent/modern popular genres and electronic things on the crack/650 for a while. Thanks fellas :)

Hi , take a look on the AUDIO GD NFB 28 , very good DAC - PREAMP - AMP ! It is full Balanced , you can use with the XLR cable of the HD 800S . Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back