Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #421 of 8,761
Oh yes, I will read the review also. Tyll is a true professional and his reviews are always worth reading. In fact if I had to choose one reviewer only and base my purchase solely on their recommendation it would most likely be him.

On the other hand these are not small amounts of money (well at least for me) and so I am going to want to be very sure that I am getting the best I can afford according to my own listening. Therefore, I don't suggest anyone takes any of my recommendations as a rationale to spend their money.

I think it is true to say that the majority of people who read reviews and adverts for specific products are already owners of these products or at least that brand of product.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #422 of 8,761
Agree - Tyll is an expert and I generally agree with him, but he too has his biases and preferences. Remember Tyll has a few tracks that he uses to measure potential weaknesses. For me, I just play my favorite music and if a weakness surfaces, then I take note. I'm not specifically looking for weaknesses. Having said all this, there are so many variables. Looking forward to his assessment.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #423 of 8,761
Jeez maybe I should have waited? :tongue:

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #424 of 8,761
I can guarantee that whatever Tyll writes will be interesting, factual, witty and informative. What it wont do is choose my next pair of headphones for me. No disrespect intended.

none taken. however, you might want to add controversial in this instance. :wink:

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #425 of 8,761
How's the stock balanced cable? Is it good or is a cable upgrade recommended? I'm thinking for balanced, the cable doesn't matter as much. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #426 of 8,761
  How's the stock balanced cable? Is it good or is a cable upgrade recommended? I'm thinking for balanced, the cable doesn't matter as much. 

Long and heavy but sounds good (compared to a Norse Audio cable I have from my first gen HD800s). I think ergonomics would be the main reason to upgrade.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #427 of 8,761

Long and heavy but sounds good (compared to a Norse Audio cable I have from my first gen HD800s). I think ergonomics would be the main reason to upgrade.

Thanks. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #428 of 8,761
I got my HD800S yesterday and have put around 5-6 hours of listening on them so far.  For context, my system is NAD M51 > HDVA600 > headphones, listening to a mix of source files from my Windows 10 machine in either 256-320 kbps compressed formats or lossless 16/44.1.

My initial impressions are very positive, but having owned and enjoyed the HD800 over the past few months (and on a couple other occasions a few years ago), this didn't really come as much of a surprise.  I agree with most of what has been said about the HD800S versus the HD800.  The HD800S does have a tamer response around that infamous 6kHz mark, but I think it still is very much a bright, airy headphone.  I would say that it has a neutral sound signature, but I still think it rides on the brighter side of neutral when compared to, say, the HD600, which sets the benchmark for mid/treble neutrality for me.  I haven't really noticed any meaningful difference in the bass response between the HD800 and HD800S.  Both of them provide a pleasing amount of bass quantity for my tastes, and the bass is tight, impactful, and very well extended.

So what are the implications of that reduction in the 6kHz peak?  I think there are both positives and negatives.  At first blush, I find the HD800 to be the more immediately engaging headphone, exhibiting a slightly larger soundstage with a touch more air and slightly sharper imaging.  It also provides a sense of energy to the attack of percussion strikes and string plucks that is ever-so-slightly diminished on the HD800S.  However, I also have to say that I found the HD800S less fatiguing, even though I never thought the HD800 too fatiguing.  This is noticeable on rock recordings, where the HD800S handles electric guitar in a gentler fashion.  It was especially obvious on Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun," where Steven Tyler's vocal harmonics can be piercing on the HD800 but are better tamed on the HD800S.

Obviously, it all comes down to personal preference, YMMV, etc.  The best way I can sum it up is that I found the HD800 to have that immediate "wow" factor that makes them special, whereas the HD800S was a bit more even-handed and able to handle a wider variety of source material with grace.  I like both headphones very much, but I don't think they are different enough to warrant keeping both -- and because these are going to be my primary headphones, I think I will be keeping the HD800S for its more forgiving nature.

On another couple of points -- I like the black finish on the HD800S; hopefully it will hold up better than the silver on the HD800, or at the very least scratches / chips should be much less visible.  I always liked the stock HD800 cable, and the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S is much the same.  It's a medium-weight, fabric-wrapped cable that seems durable and has good ergonomics.  I couldn't comment on the sound quality of the cable versus aftermarket options -- I've never been a big believer in sonic differences between cables and I'm really only interested in balanced insofar as trying to squeeze the maximum possible performance from my DAC and amplifier.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #429 of 8,761

Spending some time with the HD800S. Tried the HD600 and they sounded distant and small. Never thought I would say that about my beloved HDs. Enjoying getting to know the HD800S.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #431 of 8,761
I have listen to some tracks piano or horns waiting for the shrill. Never happened ..Just crystal clear, realistic sound. Really loving these

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #432 of 8,761
  I got my HD800S yesterday and have put around 5-6 hours of listening on them so far.  For context, my system is NAD M51 > HDVA600 > headphones, listening to a mix of source files from my Windows 10 machine in either 256-320 kbps compressed formats or lossless 16/44.1.

My initial impressions are very positive, but having owned and enjoyed the HD800 over the past few months (and on a couple other occasions a few years ago), this didn't really come as much of a surprise.  I agree with most of what has been said about the HD800S versus the HD800.  The HD800S does have a tamer response around that infamous 6kHz mark, but I think it still is very much a bright, airy headphone.  I would say that it has a neutral sound signature, but I still think it rides on the brighter side of neutral when compared to, say, the HD600, which sets the benchmark for mid/treble neutrality for me.  I haven't really noticed any meaningful difference in the bass response between the HD800 and HD800S.  Both of them provide a pleasing amount of bass quantity for my tastes, and the bass is tight, impactful, and very well extended.

So what are the implications of that reduction in the 6kHz peak?  I think there are both positives and negatives.  At first blush, I find the HD800 to be the more immediately engaging headphone, exhibiting a slightly larger soundstage with a touch more air and slightly sharper imaging.  It also provides a sense of energy to the attack of percussion strikes and string plucks that is ever-so-slightly diminished on the HD800S.  However, I also have to say that I found the HD800S less fatiguing, even though I never thought the HD800 too fatiguing.  This is noticeable on rock recordings, where the HD800S handles electric guitar in a gentler fashion.  It was especially obvious on Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun," where Steven Tyler's vocal harmonics can be piercing on the HD800 but are better tamed on the HD800S.

Obviously, it all comes down to personal preference, YMMV, etc.  The best way I can sum it up is that I found the HD800 to have that immediate "wow" factor that makes them special, whereas the HD800S was a bit more even-handed and able to handle a wider variety of source material with grace.  I like both headphones very much, but I don't think they are different enough to warrant keeping both -- and because these are going to be my primary headphones, I think I will be keeping the HD800S for its more forgiving nature.

On another couple of points -- I like the black finish on the HD800S; hopefully it will hold up better than the silver on the HD800, or at the very least scratches / chips should be much less visible.  I always liked the stock HD800 cable, and the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S is much the same.  It's a medium-weight, fabric-wrapped cable that seems durable and has good ergonomics.  I couldn't comment on the sound quality of the cable versus aftermarket options -- I've never been a big believer in sonic differences between cables and I'm really only interested in balanced insofar as trying to squeeze the maximum possible performance from my DAC and amplifier.

Thank You!
Nicely 'balanced' impression.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #434 of 8,761
For the price asked for HD600. :)
Don't get me wrong this was not meant to be a knock against the 600. I have always and still love them. I was just surprised to go back to them after listening to the 800S. They didn't have that wow factor. Just sounded good.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #435 of 8,761
Don't get me wrong this was not meant to be a knock against the 600. I have always and still love them. I was just surprised to go back to them after listening to the 800S. They didn't have that wow factor. Just sounded good.

No, I understood You well... I just mentioned the very good price point for HD600 non-fatiguing, well-balanced sound-signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back