Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #181 of 8,730
I've not ,they are on my radar as something I would like . I really wanted the latest HiFiMan HE400 to be better because I was going to make that my entry to Planars. My next purchases will be an entry planar , followed by an entry stat and at some point a decent tube amp for my Senns. I'm all about solid state and accuracy but I really want to see what the fuss is about with tubes, plus they look cool! The icon audio is on my radar , they are based in my original hometown of Leicester .

Not bad at all... new planars are coming, new stat's L500/700 are already discussed in head-fi and glowing tubes endless rolling... and music rules...

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #182 of 8,730
From reading some of the impression in this thread, I keep asking myself: Is it worth spending another 1.5 grand for the new HD800 where a bit of tweaking of your EQ sliders will do the same job just fine provided all your front end is not limiting the original HD800? 

I think I know the answer. 

Sennheiser certainly learned a thing or two from high end audio world on how to milk people. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there would love to be milked. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #183 of 8,730
From reading some of the impression in this thread, I keep asking myself: Is it worth spending another 1.5 grand for the new HD800 where a bit of tweaking of your EQ sliders will do the same job just fine provided all your front end is not limiting the original HD800? 

I think I know the answer. 

Sennheiser certainly learned a thing or two from high end audio world on how to milk people. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there would love to be milked. 

I can't but think you are right. Allthough you might have some resale value of the old HD800. Plus now I can finally drive it balanced. And that absorber might do something more than just EQ'ing... might :)

On the other hand, I have no experience at all EQ'ing, and it can probably be bothersome to find the right spot. Laziness costs heaps of money too in live :)

Also, I suspect that there is no way to software EQ my Auralic Aries-Vega-Taurus mk2 chain. If there is, please let me know. Might actually be fun to toy around with.

Another advantage: EQ is immediately right whenever I plug my HD800 S in a different system, so it adds to a plug-and-play experience across multiple devices.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #185 of 8,730
Seriously though is the bass not improved on the HD800S? I have heard such mixed reviews, I guess it would depend on what equipment you are using however, It shouldn't vary that much. On a scale from 1 - 10 10 being way to bassy, what would you guys say it would be at?

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #186 of 8,730
I like frothed milk in my cap in the morning, so bring on the S

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #187 of 8,730
Seriously though is the bass not improved on the HD800S? I have heard such mixed reviews, I guess it would depend on what equipment you are using however, It shouldn't vary that much. On a scale from 1 - 10 10 being way to bassy, what would you guys say it would be at?

I think there is a slight increase to the extension of the bass response, but far more noticeable is the elimination of the treble peak. I'm not familiar enough with the original 800, but unlike the treble difference, the difference in bass response is more subtle, to my mind. The equipment you're pairing it with has a bearing but it's not like Sennheiser have gone and created a bass monster with the S!

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #188 of 8,730

I think there is a slight increase to the extension of the bass response, but far more noticeable is the elimination of the treble peak. I'm not familiar enough with the original 800, but unlike the treble difference, the difference in bass response is more subtle, to my mind. The equipment you're pairing it with has a bearing but it's not like Sennheiser have gone and created a bass monster with the S!

+1

I would not change a single word, and I have both original and new.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #189 of 8,730
I can't but think you are right. Allthough you might have some resale value of the old HD800. Plus now I can finally drive it balanced. And that absorber might do something more than just EQ'ing... might :)

On the other hand, I have no experience at all EQ'ing, and it can probably be bothersome to find the right spot. Laziness costs heaps of money too in live :)

Also, I suspect that there is no way to software EQ my Auralic Aries-Vega-Taurus mk2 chain. If there is, please let me know. Might actually be fun to toy around with.

Another advantage: EQ is immediately right whenever I plug my HD800 S in a different system, so it adds to a plug-and-play experience across multiple devices.

Perfectly valid points. I'm only speaking from using the HD800 as a PC/Mac based system. If you don't have the ability to EQ, I can certainly see the appeal of the S. It took me a while to tame my own HD800 to get it just how I like it.

Plus I think with the S, it's like adding salt to your soup, once you add too much, you can't go back to "bland" anymore if you know what I'm saying.

Some people might actually want the full revealing nature of the original. All I'm saying is, for the S flavor, I don't think I can justify another 1.5k out of my pocket. The original has its quirks, but once you do manage to tame it, you'll love it. If you only own the S version, how do you know you don't prefer the original in the first place? Just saying :D 

The milking comment is probably not called for but it is definitely not targeted to anyone who's buying the S. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #190 of 8,730

The bass quality is just as excellent as the HD800, but add about 3dB for a more realistic/neutral presentation comparatively speaking.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #191 of 8,730

The bass sounds neutral. But if you are looking for bass, best is to look at planar headphones in my opinion.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #192 of 8,730
  The bass quality is just as excellent as the HD800, but add about 3dB for a more realistic/neutral presentation comparatively speaking.

I'm somewhat confused by this. I know the exact meaning of descriptive adjectives when applied to sound is sometimes unclear, but I always thought the 'neutral' in this context meant not emphasised in any way, but that 'natural' can often mean that the sound is slightly altered in some way to be more 'realistic' (the adjective you used) or 'musical'.

The classic example of this which almost everyone understands is the HD600, which is more 'neutral' (flat and not emphasised anywhere), and the HD650, which is more 'natural' (emphasised bass response to make it more 'realistic and musical').

I'm not trying to be critical here, I'm just trying to understand your experience of the bass on the HD800S as I think I have read you describe it as more 'neutral' before.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #193 of 8,730
  If you only own the S version, how do you know you don't prefer the original in the first place? Just saying :D 

It makes comparison hard, because it's out of memory... but I owned a classic for over a year. I just feel I much more enjoy music with the S now, because I'm really sensitive apparently to the highs cutting through my eardrums with the classic. That alone makes me happy for blindly taking the plunge.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #194 of 8,730

I'm somewhat confused by this. I know the exact meaning of descriptive adjectives when applied to sound is sometimes unclear, but I always thought the 'neutral' in this context meant not emphasised in any way, but that 'natural' can often mean that the sound is slightly altered in some way to be more 'realistic' (the adjective you used) or 'musical'.

The classic example of this which almost everyone understands is the HD600, which is more 'neutral' (flat and not emphasised anywhere), and the HD650, which is more 'natural' (emphasised bass response to make it more 'realistic and musical').

I'm not trying to be critical here, I'm just trying to understand your experience of the bass on the HD800S as I think I have read you describe it as more 'neutral' before.

​I'd say this as well. In the sense that HD800 classic is even less neutral... It's all a matter of the right perspective:

I'd rank them like this: 

DARKER                                                                       NEUTRAL                                                                               BRIGHTER
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
                                                        HD650      HD600                                            HD800 S                    HD800

So HD800 S to me is both darker and more neutral, while still being a bit bright. Don't quote me on the exact positions and distances. I'm only trying to visualize the relative references :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #195 of 8,730

The bass sounds neutral. But if you are looking for bass, best is to look at planar headphones in my opinion.

Looking for bass go to th900 the good thing is it's not artificial just extended and slamming if your amp and tunes calls for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back