Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 4, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,366 of 8,785

Yep they are excellent headphones but you only read the sequel, you need to start here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled   only 348 pages.
biggrin.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   :)...  So is that the thread where current "talking abut the HD 800 S" is.  I guess this would lead me to ask, why are there two threads anyway.  Shouldn't this really be combined into one?

well if you read the first page of impressions thread, this forum. One can see its supposed to be for impressions. the unveiling thread was first for the launch before folks received the product and could be the forum for comments about the 800S without having an impression. Much like your post. Now I'm not trying to be trite but obviously the threads have blurred and lost their original focus somewhat. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,367 of 8,785

Yep they are excellent headphones but you only read the sequel, you need to start here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled   only 348 pages. :D  

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   :)...  So is that the thread where current "talking abut the HD 800 S" is.  I guess this would lead me to ask, why are there two threads anyway.  Shouldn't this really be combined into one?

well if you read the first page of impressions thread, this forum. One can see its supposed to be for impressions. the unveiling thread was first for the launch before folks received the product and could be the forum for comments about the 800S without having an impression. Much like your post. Now I'm not trying to be trite but obviously the threads have blurred and lost their original focus somewhat. 

:confused_face_2:

(just kidding)

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,369 of 8,785
My only defense is I am a noob to this forum so I am learning the ways and hows and how various threads work :bigsmile_face: ...

Shoot, dude. Welcome to head-fi. May your wallet forgive you...

:)

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,370 of 8,785

smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you sir....  been on other audio forums but just getting into high end headphones and liking what I see here.  And, dam that is a lot of pages on the HD 800 S cans.... I can only assume that I picked me some good ones 
gs1000.gif

Oh, my impressions of the HD 800 S so far are 
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,371 of 8,785

:)

Thank you sir....  been on other audio forums but just getting into high end headphones and liking what I see here.  And, dam that is a lot of pages on the HD 800 S cans.... I can only assume that I picked me some good ones :gs1000smile: ...

Oh, my impressions of the HD 800 S so far are :L3000:  

So, your STARTING with the HD 800 S's?

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,373 of 8,785
How good are the HD 800S not just for music, but for movies and video games as well vs over the regular HD 800. I want to know because I'll be purchasing them in the next 2 weeks. My current DAC/AMP is the Sound Blaster X7. Also I'll be using them on my Casio Privia PX 160 digital piano.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,374 of 8,785
I am seriously enjoying the HD800S with my copper Moon Audio Black Dragons, but does anyone have any experience using them with silver cables? I received a recommendation to not use silver, but I typically enjoy treble sparkle with gobs of detail.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,375 of 8,785
I am seriously enjoying the HD800S with my copper Moon Audio Black Dragons, but does anyone have any experience using them with silver cables? I received a recommendation to not use silver, but I typically enjoy treble sparkle with gobs of detail.

I use double helix compliment 4 pure silver type 4 litz and it opened the stage and brought it in closer. The idea that silver does this or that is a misnomer IMO. My cable is transparent and produces wonderful sub bass and bass frequency. I also use pure 22 awg cryogenic copper by Jenna labs in my modded th900 and a true fusion type 4 litz copper on my 846. I'm not sure other than enhanced soundstage and closer sound that there is any difference in tone, but maybe the litz is more transparent.
My opinion is always go for the best cable possible, regardless.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,376 of 8,785
I use double helix compliment 4 pure silver type 4 litz and it opened the stage and brought it in closer. The idea that silver does this or that is a misnomer IMO. My cable is transparent and produces wonderful sub bass and bass frequency. I also use pure 22 awg cryogenic copper by Jenna labs in my modded th900 and a true fusion type 4 litz copper on my 846. I'm not sure other than enhanced soundstage and closer sound that there is any difference in tone, but maybe the litz is more transparent.
My opinion is always go for the best cable possible, regardless.

I appreciate the feedback.  I have independently come to the same conclusion; however, just like headphones, the price-to-performance ratio is not linear.  In fact, the latest DHC Prion4 cable is far more expensive than the headphone itself and even more so depending on the length.  Still, Peter makes some fantastic cables that are hard to beat physically, aesthetically, and sonically.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,377 of 8,785
Hey guys I have an HD 800 S and Iam driving it with a burson SL 9018 with my source being tidal flac streams. Keeping in mind I don't ever plan to change my source from computer flac or flac streaming what would be a great upgrade to the amp and dac under 5000?

I love the way they sound now but I have a feeling I can take them further with a better dac and amp.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,378 of 8,785
Hey guys I have an HD 800 S and Iam driving it with a burson SL 9018 with my source being tidal flac streams. Keeping in mind I don't ever plan to change my source from computer flac or flac streaming what would be a great upgrade to the amp and dac under 5000?

I love the way they sound now but I have a feeling I can take them further with a better dac and amp.

Thanks!

I have read many times that the HD800 pairs well with a tube amp. I even read at Headphone.Guru that it seems like the ALO Studio Six tube amp was made with the HD800 in mind. I assume they will work equally as well on the HD800S.

I am personally using a Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson - a hybrid tube amp - and it adds a touch of warmth to the overall tone that I find sublime.

I also use a Chord Hugo as the DAC, which is on the neutral side and has a nice synergy with a warmer amp. I think the main key is to change only one system component at a time to evaluate the overall impact.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,379 of 8,785

Thanks!

Hi,

Kindly read this..
Thx

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-s/reviews/16639

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,380 of 8,785
Hello everyone, I recently got a pair of HD800s (upgrading from HD650). It sounds good with my O2 ODAC but I guess I need a better amplifier. I am now looking for a better desktop amplifier to go with it. My budget is probably around GBP550/USD700. What would be suitable around this price? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back