Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,467 of 8,764
Has anyone ever had this happen to them. This arrived at my office yesterday morning from Amazon Fulfillment in Lexington, Kentucky. The bottle was wrapped in a Target plastic bag and taped to the inside of the display case.
I called Amazon. The rep told me they would investigate and get back to me on Tuesday.

y.

Here's what happened with the case of the missing HD 800s. I received a call yesterday morning from the same Amazon rep that I spoke to last week.

Amzn Rep: Hello, this is C - from Amazon customer support. How are you this morning? (I could tell by her nervous tone that she was going to tell me something I didn't want to hear.) I'm getting some push back from my supervisors. They want to see the police report.

(Silence.)

Amzn Rep: Hello? Are you there?

Me: What police report?

Amzn Rep: The police report that you filed when you realized the headphones were stolen.

Me: Why am I filing a police report? They weren't stolen from me.

Amzn Rep: I'm sorry but that is Amazon policy. You can often file a police report on-line by ---

Me: Can I speak with a supervisor please?

Amzn Rep: Certainly! (Happy to be rid of me.)

Amzn Sup: Hello this is H -. I understand that you are asking why we are requesting a police report? When a high value item is stolen we request that a police report is filed.

Me: Why am I filing it. I never received the headphones. They were either stolen in transit, so UPS should be filing the report or, they were stolen from the Amazon warehouse, so Amazon should be filing the report. Since I never received the headphones I'm not going to file the report. (I don't what the law is in cases like this but I was getting the impression that Amazon wanted to distance themselves from the theft by having the customer file a report stating that the item has been stolen from the customer and not from Amazon.)

Amzn Sup: I understand sir. Let me further review your account and I will get back to you. Will that be acceptable?

Me: Yeah, fine.

Amzn Sup: Just a moment please. (I thought he was going to say he would call me back in a day or two but instead he put me on hold and then came back on the line about 20 seconds later.) How would you like this matter resolved? Would you like to have the funds credited back to your credit card?

Me: I just want the headphones.

Amzn Sup: Yes sir. I can have them shipped out to you today.

He double checked my address and told me they would arrive the next day.

Amzn Sup: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: No.

Amzn Sup: Thank you for being a valuable Amazon customer.

Me: Your welcome.

Amazon Sup: Goodbye.

After hanging up the phone I wondered what would happen if I opened the second package and the headphones were missing. But when the package was delivered this morning the box contained a shiny new HD 800S. Case closed. Except I think they could make their customers lives a little easier by not making them negotiate an obstacle course.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,468 of 8,764
Hi guys. I just wanted to get your opinion on the HD 800S. I currently have HD 650's, Crackatwoa, and Modi Multibit. Although I love the sound, I still have this craving for more that has never really been satisfied. I want a headphone that will just wow me in every category and be done with it. I understand the HD 800S's are not known for bass but if everything else is THAT good I don't mind sacrificing some bass. Are these the headphones that will send me to nirvana?
Not too sure wow would be the right word as "wows" can get to be fatiguing after a while but after two years with the 800S I could never go back to the 650s...I would say the 800S just sounds correct to my ears and a phone I could live with and have for a long (er) time. : )

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #3,469 of 8,764
As I said...
May depend on ones purchasing history.

Here's what happened with the case of the missing HD 800s.

Amzn Sup: I understand sir. Let me further review your account and I will get back to you. Will that be acceptable?

Me: I just want the headphones.
Amzn Sup: Yes sir. I can have them shipped out to you today.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #3,470 of 8,764
Hi guys. I just wanted to get your opinion on the HD 800S. I currently have HD 650's, Crackatwoa, and Modi Multibit. Although I love the sound, I still have this craving for more that has never really been satisfied. I want a headphone that will just wow me in every category and be done with it. I understand the HD 800S's are not known for bass but if everything else is THAT good I don't mind sacrificing some bass. Are these the headphones that will send me to nirvana?
800S is a massive upgrade from 650 but only with similar gear upgrade. With mimby for eg, 650 and 800S are not that far apart.

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #3,471 of 8,764
Not too sure wow would be the right word as "wows" can get to be fatiguing after a while but after two years with the 800S I could never go back to the 650s...I would say the 800S just sounds correct to my ears and a phone I could live with and have for a long (er) time. : )

After almost two years with the HD800S, I still have a wow effect, especially if going back to the 800S after using a different headphone for some hours, or after returning from holidays. My wow effect is that I forget I have a headphone and seem to immerse in 3D-sound. I hear the sound from so many directions that it is certainly not playing in the head. Sometimes I still look around me and put off the headphone to see whether the sound I heard came from somewhere else in the room. And unlike the T1 I owned before, there is absolutely no fatigue.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,472 of 8,764
That was very stupid of the Amazon Supervisor and whatever he tried to pull. You are correct on your arguments

1/ no item was stolen from you, how could you file police report ? It came out of the box that way, either amazon or shipping people are responsible
2/ they are bothering the heck out of you for trying to pull this off and needed you to debate it with them

I never got anything this valuable stolen from me and the only thing I got stolen was that SSD which is only $285 by the time. Luckily they didn’t pull it off the way they did to you. I am starting to see how and where Amazon would be going down. Their shipping speed are much slower compared to years ago, and their stolen items are happening much more often.

Anyways, let’s get back on track about 800S. It is a very lovely headphones, and I do like it a lot

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #3,473 of 8,764
That was very stupid of the Amazon Supervisor and whatever he tried to pull. You are correct on your arguments

1/ no item was stolen from you, how could you file police report ? It came out of the box that way, either amazon or shipping people are responsible
2/ they are bothering the heck out of you for trying to pull this off and needed you to debate it with them

I never got anything this valuable stolen from me and the only thing I got stolen was that SSD which is only $285 by the time. Luckily they didn’t pull it off the way they did to you. I am starting to see how and where Amazon would be going down. Their shipping speed are much slower compared to years ago, and their stolen items are happening much more often.

Anyways, let’s get back on track about 800S. It is a very lovely headphones, and I do like it a lot

I considered buying it at a Sennheiser pop up store in San Francisco which is where I originally heard it. But they sell everything at full retail. (They're still selling the HD650 for $499.95.) Amazon had the HD 800s for $125 less than retail which is the only reason I bought it from them. Anyway, all's well that ends well. And you're right! It's a sweet, sweet sounding HP! I listened to it last night plugged into a Woo WA2. I also have a WA7 to use with it. Life's good! :L3000:

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,474 of 8,764
If you can get to an audio show that Sennheiser is set up at, they usually sell everything at 20% off and no sales tax. I got my current pair at Axpona for $1360.00.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #3,476 of 8,764
I can’t listen to the 650 anymore, the sound stage is sooooo narrow, I really don’t know how I previously liked them.
My Hd800s are good, with mojo, but teamed with hugo2, the bass is really great, it’s a whole new vivid layer on songs - like Radiohead !

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,477 of 8,764

This might sound like heresy but my HD580's still get a lot of use despite owning the HD800S. I started with them about 20 years ago and for a long time they were enough. I went through side-grades with HD600, HD650, and various other phones. I later got the Elear and HD800S (thinking that each would be the 'end game'), but nowadays I'll cycle through the HD580's, Elear, and HD800S for a few weeks each at a time.

Crazy as it may sound, I think the HD580/600/650 phones have amazing sound (when driven by the right gear of course) and higher-end phones may technically be better and have a different frequency response, but they're not necessarily more enjoyable.

BTW, I'm use a few different Schiit amps (Jotunheim, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 3) with a Bimby.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #3,478 of 8,764
The better the dac with a good solid amp the better your hd800S experience. These pups scale so for me I noticed improvement from hpa8 to Hugo to TT to adding gsx mk2. Sodont be scared, open your wallets and shoot for the moon with these cans. Add a music server too. Or not it’s all goodish.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #3,479 of 8,764
The better the dac with a good solid amp the better your hd800S experience. These pups scale so for me I noticed improvement from hpa8 to Hugo to TT to adding gsx mk2. Sodont be scared, open your wallets and shoot for the moon with these cans. Add a music server too. Or not it’s all goodish.
How important is the RCA connecting the DAC to the Amp? Tonight will be the first night I’m trying out my HD800S with my Grace M9XX + Audio Cavalli CTH. Hopefully it’s a good combination & complements the HD800S well.

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #3,480 of 8,764
How important is the RCA connecting the DAC to the Amp? Tonight will be the first night I’m trying out my HD800S with my Grace M9XX + Audio Cavalli CTH. Hopefully it’s a good combination & complements the HD800S well.
Don’t know this system, don’t use rca as I’m balanced out from the dac to hp. However I am a cable guy in general, but no experience with rca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back