Sennheiser HD700->HD800S or Denon 9200
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Avean

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the Sennheiser HD700 for many many years. I've tried changing them with many other headphones, even selling them and by the end of the week i have bought HD700 back again :D They really have been my go to headphones and i feel they are almost perfect. Super comfortable but the sound could be more "fun". I am primarily using them for gaming but i also listen to music a bit.

I've listened to HD800S and wasn't blown away by them but they are amazingly comfortable just as HD700 is. Then i got to try the Denon 9200 after seeing a reviewer on youtube got emotional after listening to them. I was blown away as well cause its closed back but it feels open back and is very comfortable. Even the sales guy in the store used them as his primary driver. But the Denon 9200 is either loved or hated when i check forums about them. I guess the HD800s is the safest upgrade but want to hear opinions from the rest. Could very well be i am using the endgame of headphones with the HD700's, i don't know.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 8
The Denon D9200 is a special headphone and one of my favorites.

I've heard it off a few different sources including a DAP, and in some cases, it's just ok. More reflective of the neutral reviews.

I have an R2R DAC and iFi Pro iCan and, in my setup, the D9200 is simply amazing.

The HD800S I've owned twice--once a long time ago and then again when I wanted to hear it on my current chain. It was just ok both times.

The HD800, however, on the right setup is one surprising headphone.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 8
I've had the Sennheiser HD700 for many many years. I've tried changing them with many other headphones, even selling them and by the end of the week i have bought HD700 back again :D They really have been my go to headphones and i feel they are almost perfect. Super comfortable but the sound could be more "fun". I am primarily using them for gaming but i also listen to music a bit.

I've listened to HD800S and wasn't blown away by them but they are amazingly comfortable just as HD700 is. Then i got to try the Denon 9200 after seeing a reviewer on youtube got emotional after listening to them. I was blown away as well cause its closed back but it feels open back and is very comfortable. Even the sales guy in the store used them as his primary driver. But the Denon 9200 is either loved or hated when i check forums about them. I guess the HD800s is the safest upgrade but want to hear opinions from the rest. Could very well be i am using the endgame of headphones with the HD700's, i don't know.
I won't argue with you, this is what my work table looks like currently :) You can get replacement pads from Sennheiser, all of the aftermarket ones sound terrible (I've tried every one). If you sign up for the Sennheiser newsletter it gets 10 percent off first purchase, but they're $80, stacking cashback on a credit card will take the price down a little.

PXL_20240120_213314944.jpg

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Hard to say, the HD 700 is unique. I've never seen another headphone with a similar frequency response, not even from Sennheiser. No one can know if there's something you'll like more, but as far as comfort goes, indeed other Sennheisers are the most similar.

If you've never listened to the HD 6XX and HD 560S, give them a try. They cost less but aren't technically worse - if anything, over the years the HD 6XX (600/650) have shown to have the most widely agreeable tuning of all the Sennheisers, and the 560S tops that by being very similar but with less bass deficiency (all of these Sennheisers are weak below 100 Hz) and lower bass distortion than not only the 600s but also 700 and 800s.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry, but to me the 6xx is a dead end in comparison. 580 is superior (to my ears) to the 6xx. Both are below the HD700 in sound quality. In the Sennheiser world next up are the 800's.
My experience. My personal data point. (I'd happily sell you my 6xx....)

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I would go for the Sennheiser HD800 or S.

As you said, the comfort is very nice due to the headphones weight and large earcups. Both have a phantastic soundstage and very clean sound. I had both for sone time. The S has i little up in the midbass area, so the sound to me is a little bit fuller. For classical i would go for the HD800 og.

Greetings.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8
And now the HD 490 Pro has been announced. It looks very promising so far but I look forward to reviews, especially to see if that infamous bass distortion from this lineup has finally been mostly overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back