Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #9,436 of 9,653
Yep...#4....don't ask....but now I can do direct comparisons with the HD660S2. : )
IMG_8409.JPG

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #9,437 of 9,653
No thanks...:)

Are they that bad? XD

I did really like the vintage Sennheiser like hd250, 540, 560. I wish to revisit them and tinker/tweak...especially that 250!

Yeah that's true though I do think the HD 650 feels the nicest and best built in the hands of all the HD 6xx series.

I appreciate the HD 660S, but how much I am attached to them depends on the system. Some I don't really care for them and others I am quite fond of them.

Ah, maybe I won the driver lottery with this one as I don't recall the other HD 660S's I've had sounding as wide and expansive. I found it quite good at doing the out of head effect whereas the HD 600, HD 650 and HD 660S2 sounded more in the head.

You could have gotten a unicorn one, who knows. B/C clearly, there were a few who had multiple pairs and liked one more than another. And I believe they were made in 2 different plants, so that wouldn't be so surprising.

Besides the Sennheiser, I've had some time with a local head-fi'er and his th900 Lawton, which made me get a pair (but for a Denon), and with the larger chamber and reverberations; spatially anyway, was "big"

Words like expansive and wide or "big" are sometimes difficult to express as it's all relative. Like an AKG K1k or sony mdr-f1 is quite "wide" and open, whereas in a closed back Lawton it seems wide and expansive yet in some sort of different way as it has more subbass with that omnidirectional characteristic mixed with the reverberations off the wood.

Open backs like my Sennheiser or Ad1000X it seems to just float out and then the ear also picks up sound from the other earcup which leaks. I forget the terminology. It is much more evident in something like AKG K1k or mdr-f1 though. Like that "bleed" of the opposite channel.

So they are all different experiences. Hope some of it makes sense...

Sep 1, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #9,438 of 9,653
Are they that bad? XD

I did really like the vintage Sennheiser like hd250, 540, 560. I wish to revisit them and tinker/tweak...especially that 250!

You could have gotten a unicorn one, who knows. B/C clearly, there were a few who had multiple pairs and liked one more than another. And I believe they were made in 2 different plants, so that wouldn't be so surprising.

Besides the Sennheiser, I've had some time with a local head-fi'er and his th900 Lawton, which made me get a pair (but for a Denon), and with the larger chamber and reverberations; spatially anyway, was "big"

Words like expansive and wide or "big" are sometimes difficult to express as it's all relative. Like an AKG K1k or sony mdr-f1 is quite "wide" and open, whereas in a closed back Lawton it seems wide and expansive yet in some sort of different way as it has more subbass with that omnidirectional characteristic mixed with the reverberations off the wood.

Open backs like my Sennheiser or Ad1000X it seems to just float out and then the ear also picks up sound from the other earcup which leaks. I forget the terminology. It is much more evident in something like AKG K1k or mdr-f1 though. Like that "bleed" of the opposite channel.

So they are all different experiences. Hope some of it makes sense...
I’ve heard 4 different pairs all were a bit different. All pairs I’ve heard we’re Ireland pairs (Romanian pairs were in the middle of the their life before swapping back to Ireland). First two were very similar to each other and I would argue more musical but they also fatigued me. They were both very early/release pairs from one of the first batches. The other 2 were very recent models, with the second one (what I have now) having a wider soundstage and a somewhat larger sense of scale.

Both of the new HD 660S’s found a bit more neutral and flat in their presentation, this does bother me a bit as the musicality of the old pairs to my ears is what made me fall in love with the HD 660S in the past despite its drawbacks and fatigue. I still enjoy the HD 660S, but it’s not the same.

Honestly it is interesting how different the spatial presentation of different headphones can be. Also spatial performance may vary a lot person to person as well. Some headphones reported as having large soundstages may simply sound narrow to some people.

It’s what happened with the HD 560S/400 Pro to my ears, I found them narrower than any of the Hd 6xx series yet many say they are notably wider. In fact the HD 560S (the HD 400 Pro wasn’t quite as narrow to my ears but still narrow) was the narrowest open back I’ve ever heard to my ears, it was like a small ball of sound in the middle of my head, strange experience. I didn’t find the HD 598 or HD 555 narrow which uses the same housing design as the HD 560S/400 Pro so it seems more driver related to my ears.

The MA-900 (successor to the F1) didn’t sound all that wide, open, or big to my ears either despite its 70mm driver and very open design. Whereas say the K612 and to a lesser extent the DT 990 has a very wide and open sound to me.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #9,440 of 9,653
Hey Guys...not that it'll make a difference one way or another, just reference, but this used pair that I've just recently acquired was missing the outer sleeve and there are, as far I can see, no indications of the country of origin on the headphones themselves, or am I missing something. :thinking:
It is a more recent pair, I'm thinking Romania, but my S2 clearly have Ireland on the lower inside of the headband.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #9,441 of 9,653
Hey Guys...not that it'll make a difference one way or another, just reference, but this used pair that I've just recently acquired was missing the outer sleeve and there are, as far I can see, no indications of the country of origin on the headphones themselves, or am I missing something. :thinking:
It is a more recent pair, I'm thinking Romania, but my S2 clearly have Ireland on the lower inside of the headband.
Mine doesn’t have the country of origin listed on it. Same with the HD 650. Mine are both made in Ireland. Have to check the box. They did bring back the Made in Ireland logo on the S2. I bought both new this year. If it’s made in the past couple years it’s probably made in Ireland.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #9,442 of 9,653
I've demod a few different pairs as well and I could tell there was a bit of a sound stage difference.
I’ve heard 4 different pairs all were a bit different. All pairs I’ve heard we’re Ireland pairs (Romanian pairs were in the middle of the their life before swapping back to Ireland). First two were very similar to each other and I would argue more musical but they also fatigued me. They were both very early/release pairs from one of the first batches. The other 2 were very recent models, with the second one (what I have now) having a wider soundstage and a somewhat larger sense of scale.

Both of the new HD 660S’s found a bit more neutral and flat in their presentation, this does bother me a bit as the musicality of the old pairs to my ears is what made me fall in love with the HD 660S in the past despite its drawbacks and fatigue. I still enjoy the HD 660S, but it’s not the same.

Honestly it is interesting how different the spatial presentation of different headphones can be. Also spatial performance may vary a lot person to person as well. Some headphones reported as having large soundstages may simply sound narrow to some people.

It’s what happened with the HD 560S/400 Pro to my ears, I found them narrower than any of the Hd 6xx series yet many say they are notably wider. In fact the HD 560S (the HD 400 Pro wasn’t quite as narrow to my ears but still narrow) was the narrowest open back I’ve ever heard to my ears, it was like a small ball of sound in the middle of my head, strange experience. I didn’t find the HD 598 or HD 555 narrow which uses the same housing design as the HD 560S/400 Pro so it seems more driver related to my ears.

The MA-900 (successor to the F1) didn’t sound all that wide, open, or big to my ears either despite its 70mm driver and very open design. Whereas say the K612 and to a lesser extent the DT 990 has a very wide and open sound to me.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #9,443 of 9,653

The one thing that has been bugging me is trying to assess the 660S midrange. I don't have golden ears; nor silver. They are a rusted bronze.
B/C the mids grew on me over time. I didn't find them particularly amazing all across the spectrum in every category.

In saying that, they are such an easy listen, and there is a certain musicality with the drivers I have. So, I may have gotten lucky as well. B/C with the initial 660S hate, i was expecting mediocrity. I took my chances at 299 bones for a Romanian pair I believe. I think they were marked down once they started making them in Ireland again.

I was split 50/50 on the good ole 580 (early version) and the 660S, like it was 51/49, and vice versa on other days.

So I just combined them into one for to retain any sanity.

The paticular type of soundfield I like most is with my stax sigma.

1693598103038.jpeg

They don't fire into the eardrum. Very 3d and "big" and yet the vocals are intimate. Smoothest and most relaxed listen. And very comfortable lay down on a pillow believe it or not.

I don't get that from the Sennheisers as much, and it's a bit smaller of a soundfield. Yet, it has the same type of easy listen, so it's become my primary over ear anyway.

I did use a dt880 for 4 years as a primary in my journey as well.

When I am travelling, I use the t5p.II w/ 1770 coolmax pads. But their angled driver is not as magical as I would have thought. I like it, but its also annoying at times.

So it seems all these wonderful headphones have their little quirks and moments of greatness.

In a few years, the reviews will balance themselves out just like with the other 6 series variants.

I don't have any paticular urge to acquire the 560/400 /599 etc. as the design doesn't appeal to me as much as the 6 series.

Have you any experience with hd250? I know you did some experiments with the 545/565 and 660 IIRC

My comment was based merely in two facts. Firstly, I personally find it a bit stressful to change drivers, rings are OK but I would do it only if I had a second pair.

Secondly I had a 560s in the past and I did not like it at all and this experience influenced me a lot.

Fair enough XD . That vintage german sound which can electrocute your spine with the spikes is not for everyone.

As I'm getting older, I notice I don't like music as loud or boomy.

I never thought i'd say the words "turn it down" , but I now do ... *hangs head down in shame*

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #9,444 of 9,653
Sep 1, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #9,447 of 9,653
Dynaudio Special 25s.

1693602462916.jpeg

Me and my untrained eyes. I can now see the differences, but it was my first thought.

Which of your Sennheiser would be closest to your speaker? Or is it just another whole different animal?

I have some small speakers in the living room, but also a loud barking bulldog, so... headphones it is for now...

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #9,448 of 9,653
Which of your Sennheiser would be closest to your speaker? Or is it just another whole different animal?
The HD700s were probably the closest in tonality...

From 2014
As I’ve been working in my new HD700 drivers I cannot imagine needing more bass, as I mentioned in my first impressions back in January the HD700 emulate very well my Dynaudio Special 25 augmented with my 15” Velodyne SPL1500R.

.....the Harbeth always remind me of the HD650. : )

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #9,449 of 9,653
The one thing that has been bugging me is trying to assess the 660S midrange. I don't have golden ears; nor silver. They are a rusted bronze.
B/C the mids grew on me over time. I didn't find them particularly amazing all across the spectrum in every category.

In saying that, they are such an easy listen, and there is a certain musicality with the drivers I have. So, I may have gotten lucky as well. B/C with the initial 660S hate, i was expecting mediocrity. I took my chances at 299 bones for a Romanian pair I believe. I think they were marked down once they started making them in Ireland again.

I was split 50/50 on the good ole 580 (early version) and the 660S, like it was 51/49, and vice versa on other days.

So I just combined them into one for to retain any sanity.

The paticular type of soundfield I like most is with my stax sigma.

They don't fire into the eardrum. Very 3d and "big" and yet the vocals are intimate. Smoothest and most relaxed listen. And very comfortable lay down on a pillow believe it or not.

I don't get that from the Sennheisers as much, and it's a bit smaller of a soundfield. Yet, it has the same type of easy listen, so it's become my primary over ear anyway.

I did use a dt880 for 4 years as a primary in my journey as well.

When I am travelling, I use the t5p.II w/ 1770 coolmax pads. But their angled driver is not as magical as I would have thought. I like it, but its also annoying at times.

So it seems all these wonderful headphones have their little quirks and moments of greatness.

In a few years, the reviews will balance themselves out just like with the other 6 series variants.

I don't have any paticular urge to acquire the 560/400 /599 etc. as the design doesn't appeal to me as much as the 6 series.

Have you any experience with hd250? I know you did some experiments with the 545/565 and 660 IIRC

Fair enough XD . That vintage german sound which can electrocute your spine with the spikes is not for everyone.

As I'm getting older, I notice I don't like music as loud or boomy.

I never thought i'd say the words "turn it down" , but I now do ... *hangs head down in shame*
I found the mids on the HD 660S kind of interesting, I change my mind on them a lot, sometimes I like them a lot and othertimes less so. Plan on getting a Lake People G111 MKII or a LP G108 sometime soon, will be curious how all my headphones will sound on it and which I would prefer of them. Sometimes a new amp can change things up.

Honestly it's the T1 that's magical to my ears not the T5 imho, I think the closed back nature and the steep angle strangles the driver some. I'll take a T1.3, T1.2, and the Amiron Home over the HD 6xx series as my main headphone (need more time with the S2 to determine it's placement fully for me). The DT 1990 is a little too hyper and doesn't have the more relaxed nature of those three but I do like them. The T1.3 is my favorite open back I've ever owned and has been my main headphone for 3 years now and the T1.2 was my main before that and the Amiron Home before it. The open Tesla Beyers just do something special musically for me and sound oddly correct to my ears. Don't feel quite the same about the closed ones. Though honestly my DT 480 has ruined me on other closed backs.

The HD 6xx line is probably my favorite line of open-backs outside the open Tesla's. I'm just not sure which of the Senns is my favorite. I need to properly evaluate the HD 660S2 sometime.

The thing about the open Tesla’s I can only really own one, some reason they clash with each other for me. I end up preferring one and ignoring the others. With the HD 6xx line I can own multiple different ones within the family without issue as I don’t feel they make the other pairs redundant to my ears.

I have heard a lot about the HD 250 but sadly never got the chane to hear one. Yeah I had an HD 545 in the past, it's pads were so worn it was quite dark from it, then I swapped new pads and it was very bright.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #9,450 of 9,653
Ireland 🇮🇪 on the inside of the headband for both s1 and s2. Mine I believe is the last iteration of production from Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back