Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 7, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #9,047 of 9,653
Naim unity atom he + Sennheiser hd660. Completely in love. Everything I play just sounds so right!
Yeah, I have a lot of headphones I like, in fact for the longest time I felt the K712 Pro and HD 800 were especially strong in the areas I appreciated the most, still love my HD 800, but I can just play my HD 660S for hours on shuffle and just be happy and content.

I will say, I have a dream of this driver with this tuning (a touch of a lift in the sub bass... but I guess that's within EQ reach just fine) but angled and placed a bit forward in the enclosure housing, to help with the spatial/soundstage presentation a little bit. I also think the HD 700 enclosure looked wicked awesome, but apparently that had an effect on the tuning, so as much as I liked the aesthetics of the older brother I would sacrifice that for a more open enclosure if needed (or something entirely new!). The HD 700's 2.5mm headphone cable connectors were nice for cable makers to create aftermarket cables, too. But, like... I'm still happy and satisfied to come back to the HD 660S!

Jan 7, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #9,048 of 9,653
8E9178C5-8C8C-485E-B15E-17D7883E2FF8.jpeg

Jan 7, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #9,052 of 9,653
Anyone think drop will make an HD 66X?
Well, not in the plans right now, but never say never! @Rob80b is right though, DROP is an authorized US dealer, and the audiophile products are for sale there.

Hey, maybe now that I’m at Drop, I can pitch my idea 😁

Jan 7, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #9,053 of 9,653
Well, not in the plans right now, but never say never! @Rob80b is right though, DROP is an authorized US dealer, and the audiophile products are for sale there.

Hey, maybe now that I’m at Drop, I can pitch my idea 😁
Drop us a line about how you do 🤣🤣🤣!

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #9,056 of 9,653
While Senns has nice tonality, I suspect most people wanting high end/reference quality-sound has switched to Planars by now. Distorsion is so much lower compared to dynamic cans it can't be ignored, if you are serious with your audio. This chunks away a large portion of the "expensive Senns" demographic. They have to come down in price if they still wants to sell.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #9,057 of 9,653
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #9,058 of 9,653
While Senns has nice tonality, I suspect most people wanting high end/reference quality-sound has switched to Planars by now. Distorsion is so much lower compared to dynamic cans it can't be ignored, if you are serious with your audio. This chunks away a large portion of the "expensive Senns" demographic. They have to come down in price if they still wants to sell.
Ok but Sennheiser is still asking for over 500 bucks for the 650. The 650 is probably the most veiled version of the 600 series.
Btw planars have their own problems with regard to dynamics. Many lack the punch and projection of a good dynamic.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #9,059 of 9,653
Tonality is king.
And going by your signature, it seems you still have many dynamics you hold on to! There are a few planars I like or would like to pick up (and estats!), but each driver tech has its own strengths:

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #9,060 of 9,653
Ok but Sennheiser is still asking for over 500 bucks for the 650. The 650 is probably the most veiled version of the 600 series.
Btw planars have their own problems with regard to dynamics. Many lack the punch and projection of a good dynamic.
The HD 650 is $379 on Amazon US right now, and that’s MAP 🤷‍♂️ The HD 6xx is even less expensive. But yes, the HD 650 was launched at $500 as Sennheiser’s production flagship at the time, stable mate to its sister HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back