Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 27, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #6,901 of 9,653
I just bought my third pair of 660S's. I had a Romania and an Ireland pair earlier this year and didn't like how they sounded on my vintage receiver so I sold them. (I also had eustachian tube dysfunction at the time, so that didn't help). Anyway, a short time ago I bought a 1975 Yamaha CA-600 amp and I was curious what the 660S would sound like so I just bought another new pair for a great price.

This time around I'm really impressed with the sound. They have the smoothness and added bass of the 650's (they actually have more bass) and some of the transparency/air/sparkle of the 600's.

So these 660S's are definitely keepers but I'll be keeping my 600's as well. (I sold the 650's)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #6,902 of 9,653
I just bought my third pair of 660S's. I had a Romania and an Ireland pair earlier this year and didn't like how they sounded on my vintage receiver so I sold them. (I also had eustachian tube dysfunction at the time, so that didn't help). Anyway, a short time ago I bought a 1975 Yamaha CA-600 amp and I was curious what the 660S would sound like so I just bought another new pair for a great price.

This time around I'm really impressed with the sound. They have the smoothness and added bass of the 650's (they actually have more bass) and some of the transparency/air/sparkle of the 600's.

So these 660S's are definitely keepers but I'll be keeping my 600's as well. (I sold the 650's)

I.know that dac amp makes deference. But on same dac amp hd660s are exactly what u said its a child from 600 and 650 they have some smoothnes from 650 and some sparkle from 600 the reason was that some find 650 to smooth veiled and some find 600 to sparkly and harsh ... To me 660s have the perfect balance.
What is strange is that what makes u dont like them at first place ?
Its mystery to me because its not possible to like both 600 and 650 and dont 660s , having dark dac amp for example will change both of 650 and 600 at the same time so 660s also.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #6,903 of 9,653
I.know that dac amp makes deference. But on same dac amp hd660s are exactly what u said its a child from 600 and 650 they have some smoothnes from 650 and some sparkle from 600 the reason was that some find 650 to smooth veiled and some find 600 to sparkly and harsh ... To me 660s have the perfect balance.
What is strange is that what makes u dont like them at first place ?
Its mystery to me because its not possible to like both 600 and 650 and dont 660s , having dark dac amp for example will change both of 650 and 600 at the same time so 660s also.

The 660S were too veiled on my previous vintage receiver, which probably needs servicing. The 650's didn't sound very good on it either. Even though the 660S sound great on my latest amp which has been serviced.

I still don't recommend them (or the 650's) for vintage gear made prior to '75...these units tend to be darker with more pronounced bass. I'm just mentioning this for other vintage aficionado's out there.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #6,904 of 9,653
The 660S were too veiled on my previous vintage receiver, which probably needs servicing. The 650's didn't sound very good on it either. Even though the 660S sound great on my latest amp which has been serviced.

I still don't recommend them (or the 650's) for vintage gear made prior to '75...these units tend to be darker with more pronounced bass. I'm just mentioning this for other vintage aficionado's out there.
I have a vintage one to maybe i have to listen to some other bright headphones.
Thanks for recommendation.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #6,905 of 9,653

If I had to pick just one to have, HD 600 would be my top choice, even though I like them all :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #6,909 of 9,653
I like them all as well.
229A0992-DD9C-410E-A3A7-C21225C4A6E1.jpeg

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,911 of 9,653
I like them all as well.
229A0992-DD9C-410E-A3A7-C21225C4A6E1.jpeg
Amazing collection! enjoy...:)

I really want to have that exact trio. I only have the 6XX and 58X.

The most beautiful to me by far is the 660s. Then is the new 600/650 series. Now my 6XX seems so outdated in comparison. When I bought it I liked the midnight blue so much more than the original grey.

With this series it seems one is never enough...

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #6,912 of 9,653
Amazing collection! enjoy...:)

I really want to have that exact trio. I only have the 6XX and 58X.

The most beautiful to me by far is the 660s. Then is the new 600/650 series. Now my 6XX seems so outdated in comparison. When I bought it I liked the midnight blue so much more than the original grey.

With this series it seems one is never enough...
That happens if u love this sound signature over the years i liked a lot of other headphones but 6 series is something special they sound organic natural thats why i love them.
I am willing to have the new 600 650 series but i want the boxes closed shield with nylon and not open like they come brand new.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #6,913 of 9,653
That happens if u love this sound signature over the years i liked a lot of other headphones but 6 series is something special they sound organic natural thats why i love them.
I am willing to have the new 600 650 series but i want the boxes closed shield with nylon and not open like they come brand new.
Yes, they should not cut cost with the presentation boxes. I really love this box. The new series looks amazing.

I am really in love with their sound signature. Even with the 58X which I believe is a category below in resolution and driver size, I am really addicted with it. I am always looking to steal some time and listen to it.

Tonality is the king as it seems...

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,914 of 9,653
Yes, they should not cut cost with the presentation boxes. I really love this box. The new series looks amazing.

I am really in love with their sound signature. Even with the 58X which I believe is a category below in resolution and driver size, I am really addicted with it. I am always looking to steal some time and listen to it.

Tonality is the king as it seems...

58X was so strange headphone for me because when i bought it everyone said that is 660s massdrop edition ( drivers on 660s and 58x are smaller compared to 600 650 i bealive)
1 week later and after a lot of listening i was sure that 58X didnt have the HD6 characteristics not smooth not the resolution and it sounded a little harsh some times reminds me the HD5 series.
So i was keep seeing the graphs and people saying all these about beiing hd660s clone and i didnt get it because to me sounded different.

Presentation box its ok for me when i first open the box there was things that i wish they change but after time i get why Sennheiser choose the plastic materials its the weight i get why everything is replaceable by hand i get why the use this exactly pads etch etch.
What i dont get is why they dont have inside the box 3m cable and 1.5m cable .
HD58x and 6XX have shorter cables but not the 3m and Sennheiser products have 3m but not 1.5m.
So they already have these cables short with 3.5 jack and 3m with 6.3 , these cables must be always inside the box for a product that cost over 200 euro.
Other than that i have already say my opinion that i love stock cable because it doesnt have memmory it doesnt tangle it doesnt have microphonics it is oxygen free copper and the jack is plastic light and most of all when i pull that jack down it doesnt hit my table or scratch them like the most expensive metalic jacks do.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #6,915 of 9,653
drivers on 660s and 58x are smaller compared to 600 650 i bealive
I am really curious about this. I have seen conflicted anecdotal evidence here and there. If 58x has the exact same size driver with 660s there is some possibility to be closely related. If not then is most probably related to a 5 series driver. I am personally sceptical with the idea that they really developed a special driver for a drop series maybe they modified slightly one from an existing series.

I have to say though that I find 58x to scale significantly contrary to conventional wisdom. After listening to them in better gear e.g. xDSD and xcan (also btr5 combined with Apple music because of extra loudness) I find them addictive but I cannot enjoy them with es100 anymore, they sound quite muddy to me.

I was influenced by zeos review initially but did not trust him. But some other reviewers convinced me that are really close to 660s and only then I was convinced to buy it. I really like it but because there is the 660s out there I am not completely satisfied and something nugging me every time.

Is a good advertisement for 660s though which is for me the next in line to buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back