Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #6,136 of 9,653
Thank you. Yes, the RME dac is a nice piece of kit. I’m on the fence in whether to upgrade to a TT2 or not. The beyers are the old original T1’s. I do still like them, although they get limited head time now. Will be adding a Stellia or ZMF VC soon to replace them as my closed option.
The audeze xc is a great option as well. I really enjoy mine with the icon tube amp and benchmark dac.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #6,139 of 9,653
Thank you. Yes, the RME dac is a nice piece of kit. I’m on the fence in whether to upgrade to a TT2 or not. The beyers are the old original T1’s. I do still like them, although they get limited head time now. Will be adding a Stellia or ZMF VC soon to replace them as my closed option.
I dont know about ZMF but Focal Stellia WOW they are so so good.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #6,140 of 9,653
Watching my HD58X and HD 599 drivers have so many similarities . Nothing to do with HD 6 series .
This has been discussed quite a few times by now, and the reality of it is that the drivers in the HD58X have far more to do with the HD700 than the 5 series..just like it’s big brother the 660s - I mean all one needs to do in order to see this is to check out the frequency response of both cans and witness just how closely related they are. Also, there are no 5 series headphones that measure a 150 ohm:wink:
The reason why it’s so cheap is because Sennheiser skips a few costly production steps by not having to pretty up the backside of the drivers. They simply throw in a piece of foam.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,141 of 9,653
I have only started to read this thread. May I ask if anyone knows whether you can plug the Sennheiser 660S' 4-pin 3,5 jack into all notebooks (a Thinkpad)? I had a cable like that with the Momentum and it worked with a cheap notebook but did not work work with with a desktop DAC. It made weird sound and only some - extra buy - 3-pin cable from Sennheiser would work.

There is the 6,3 -> 3,5 adapter with 3 pins in the box, but it's not looking like... part of $400, a bit clunky.

I'm thinking to buy the HD 660S to connect to a Thinkpad X1 instead of HD650+Dragonfly. It's apparently how they advertise it. "Works with mobile". 150 Ohms. They don't just mean the 4-pin jack cable, do they?

...I'm going on to read this thread.

PS: I'm wondering which one of 650 and 660S dampens open hihats more. These sometimes repeat for long and have a lot energy and if anything they are for me the first instrument that makes listening fatigue. Trumpets are next, but that must be with a really bad mastering.

I ask just as if I the headphone was driven perfectly. The only way that hihat-question would be useless was if bass gets so light and treble so much, because I want a solution free of another DAC besides the realtek chip in my notebook. I dislike firmwares too much. Only if I have to, I'll buy a DAC.

I have already read "650 is better for old material" in this thread, but I'm not sure how old material is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #6,144 of 9,653
Oh, I see, thanks a lot. I'll focus on the Sound and on having the "clunky" adapter, which isn't actually bad, I just looked for something to stop me from ordering the 660S.

Of course you can buy adapter from 4.4mm to 3.5mm and it is a bit smaller but doesn't really make a huge difference.

I think I have this adapter from aliexpress but I'm not shure I have ever really used it after testing that it works. I use the 4.4mm connector 99% of the time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881702946.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dNsc0d2

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #6,145 of 9,653
I have only started to read this thread. May I ask if anyone knows whether you can plug the Sennheiser 660S' 4-pin 3,5 jack into all notebooks (a Thinkpad)? I had a cable like that with the Momentum and it worked with a cheap notebook but did not work work with with a desktop DAC. It made weird sound and only some - extra buy - 3-pin cable from Sennheiser would work.

There is the 6,3 -> 3,5 adapter with 3 pins in the box, but it's not looking like... part of $400, a bit clunky.

I'm thinking to buy the HD 660S to connect to a Thinkpad X1 instead of HD650+Dragonfly. It's apparently how they advertise it. "Works with mobile". 150 Ohms. They don't just mean the 4-pin jack cable, do they?

PS: I'm wondering which one of 650 and 660S dampens open hihats more. These sometimes repeat for long and have a lot energy and if anything they are for me the first instrument that makes listening fatigue. Trumpets are next, but that must be with a really bad mastering.

I ask just as if I the headphone was driven perfectly. The only way that hihat-question would be useless was if bass gets so light and treble so much, because I want a solution free of another DAC besides the realtek chip in my notebook. I dislike firmwares too much. Only if I have to, I'll buy a DAC.

I have already read "650 is better for old material" in this thread, but I'm not sure how old material is supposed to be.

Good DAY ... There are 2 cables inside the 660S a 4,4 Pentaconn cable that is for Balanced USE ONLY this adapter has L- L+ R- R+ and Ground and the use of it is for dacs or mp3 players that have THIS balanced conection ... There are on the market some adapters that u can use to make this balanced also balanced 2.5 for some older models ( i am not advising u to buy anything that its not premium quality) I did use some from Ali express and Ebay and all of them was crap with bad connections.

About the second Cable 6,3 is a NONE balanced cable that has L , R and G or Shield , On that cable u can use any adaptor NONE balanced that u need for example 2.5 or 3.5 everything works great but it needs to be ALSO L , R and G . Inside the package there is a Adapter from Sennheiser that makes 6,3 to 3,5 in my opinion the Quality of this adapter is AMAZING the reason is that has positive cklick and also it is flexible for easys of use also what ever i do it doesnt brake and when i move the conection twisted inside it doesnt make any noise ... So my advise is dont ever lose this original adapter even if u dont like how it looks. Unless if u have the money to buy Audioquest , Cardas, Nord etch etc....

About Momentum cable ... if the cable was like my Momentums cable 3.5 4 pin then this is a cable also NONE balanced that use FOR USE WITH MIC so to explain better .... This 3.5 has 4 rings to it the L , R, G and Mic this NONE balanced cable can be used on Mobile and Laptops but the PROBLEM is that some manufacturers use Diferent RING for the MIC and ground ...For example Lenovo , and Nokia use third ring for Microphone and 4 for ground , And others mobiles phones like Samsung , I phone etch etch use third ring for Ground and 4 For Microphone thats why u are listening this weird sound :wink: .

So its not Sennheiser problem its that Manufacturers has made so many diferent conections ... Another Example is the 3.5 Balanced from IFI (SONY) that uses also 4 Rings L- L+ R- R+ without ground ... If u see that jack in front of you u gone think it works everywhere ... and nope it doesnt .

So Let me make it easy for u , ( in my opinion) Use the most common 6,3 or 3,5 adapter from sennheiser that is Unbalanced and WORKS everywhere without a problems and with great audio quality connectors . If u have Balanced DAC AMP that u know For SURE sounds better on Balanced ( in my opinion balnaced or not make no difference at all its all about the dac , if it has good balanced dac it will sound good if it has bad balanced it will sound bad ) then use Pentaccon jack or Buy XLR or what ever your dac use. But u have to know a None balanced 2.000 amp dac doesnt sound worst than 200 Balanced dac , u get my point :) .

Last if u want just to use a 3.5 jack without any adapters then i advice u to buy a Shorter cable 1,2 or 1,5 meters also copper ( unless u want to change the sound a little with silver) But u have to know if u buy Cheap cables from Ebay or Ali or Amazon u have to know that some of them work ok and others dont . If u want to be sure about the quality i advice u Buy something from a Big company with XP ... that cost starts at 80 euros and more .

Thats it :) Untitled-1.jpg4870369_thumb.jpg4-pin 3.5mm headset connector.png

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #6,146 of 9,653
Of course you can buy adapter from 4.4mm to 3.5mm and it is a bit smaller but doesn't really make a huge difference.

I think I have this adapter from aliexpress but I'm not shure I have ever really used it after testing that it works. I use the 4.4mm connector 99% of the time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881702946.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dNsc0d2

I dont know if this adapter will work ... but even if it does why making a 4.4 balanced jack to 3.5 unbalanced (in the photo its unblanced) And dont use what already has :) the 6,3 to 3.5 unblalanced ? :)

The point of buing 4,4 adapter is to make this Balance jack to 2.5 or 3,5 Balanced 4 rings jack for use on some Dacs or amps that use this 2.5 or 3.5 balanced jack for example the old IFI dacs or Old Sony mp3s .

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #6,147 of 9,653

Let me help u with that ... This is how they sound on frequency response I13-17-Musicalns00.jpg

And these are the graphs of HD 600 vshd600-vs-650-vs-660-5db-div.pngHD 650 vs HD660s .... So u can see what is better for you liking

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #6,148 of 9,653

The HD650 is the safer bet methinks. The 660s’ upper mids are slightly pulled back compared to the 600/650 which in turn gives you a more dynamic sound..but ultimately also underlines the treble ie hihats and cymbals. I rather dig the edge it adds to the sound, but my friend found it to be too much and stuck with his 600.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #6,149 of 9,653
I dont know if this adapter will work ... but even if it does why making a 4.4 balanced jack to 3.5 unbalanced (in the photo its unblanced) And dont use what already has :) the 6,3 to 3.5 unblalanced ? :)

The point of buing 4,4 adapter is to make this Balance jack to 2.5 or 3,5 Balanced 4 rings jack for use on some Dacs or amps that use this 2.5 or 3.5 balanced jack for example the old IFI dacs or Old Sony mp3s .

It worked just fine when I tested it. The 660S cable is not good enough for me to buy 100€ adapter. I will buy shorter FAW Noire 4.4mm cable at some point though.

Like I said in my previous post... I use the 4.4mm connector 99% of the time. I have 2 balanced DAC/AMP's that support 4.4mm. When that 1% (probably closer to 0.5%) happens and I need to use 3.5mm unbalanced I find it easier to use adapter than swap the whole cable.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6,150 of 9,653
So, I just wanted to pop in and say how much I am enjoying the 660s! It really is a fantastic HP. I recently added and Arctic Cable Signum series silver cable and what a tremendous improvement that was. Happy listening all :)
Welcome to the Sennheiser family, happy listening!!

This has been discussed quite a few times by now, and the reality of it is that the drivers in the HD58X have far more to do with the HD700 than the 5 series..just like it’s big brother the 660s - I mean all one needs to do in order to see this is to check out the frequency response of both cans and witness just how closely related they are. Also, there are no 5 series headphones that measure a 150 ohm:wink:
The reason why it’s so cheap is because Sennheiser skips a few costly production steps by not having to pretty up the backside of the drivers. They simply throw in a piece of foam.
Are you suuuuuuuuuuure? Like... 100% sure, you’d bet on it? I don’t recommend gambling :wink:

head-fi.org is going to change name to Sennheiser.org or HD660s.org to reflect the number of posts, main theme and what matters most to members on the site.
Muah hah hah hah, excellent! But very truthfully, it’s great to see that the pace of this thread has been increasing, people are being nice, helping eachother, and hopefully we’re having fun :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back