Sennheiser HD650s with What??
Aug 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dgilmartin

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, I'm a big fan of technology, but pretty new to the music side..

I already have quite a few sets of headphones already. The latest addition to my collection is a set of HD650s and I love them. I'm currently using them through my laptop/iPhone or through my Yamaha Amp. I'm now looking for the next level of sound.. I've been reading reviews on Head-fi and other sites and to be honest I'm confused!
confused_face(1).gif
I've been looking at quite a few different amps on eBay and like the look of the C&C XO+ (Am I on the right track??)

I have a budget of around $200/€150 and am asking you guys for your expert advice!

All comments welcome & Cheers in advance..

Dan

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Are you looking specifically for a portable amp? If not, then you would get more for your money with a full-sized amplifier. You can post here instead... but I would recommend making good use of the search feature first.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 15
A DAC would make the most improvement to your setup, but with that price limit, your options are severely limited. Check this amp/DAC combo out; although I doubt it will give the HD 650 the authoritative power it needs.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking specifically for a portable amp? If not, then you would get more for your money with a full-sized amplifier. You can post here instead... but I would recommend making good use of the search feature first.
wink.gif

Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif
Yep, I'm definitely looking for a portable unit, I have two full size amps in the house already.. I've been looking at the iBasso D2 but I suppose the main question I have is Which unit is best suited to the 650s??

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DAC would make the most improvement to your setup, but with that price limit, your options are severely limited. Check this amp/DAC combo out; although I doubt it will give the HD 650 the authoritative power it needs.

Ok, thanks for the advice.. I'm willing to add more to the budget if you think its worth it.. What do you recommend for the best sound without changing my headphones??!!

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgilmartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif
Yep, I'm definitely looking for a portable unit, I have two full size amps in the house already.. I've been looking at the iBasso D2 but I suppose the main question I have is Which unit is best suited to the 650s??

Okay, cool. Given the fact that it was your first post, though, I didn't want to assume.
tongue.gif

Well, if it helps at all, I've found that my Meier Corda 3Move pairs extremely well with the HD600... much more so, in fact, than my previous Leckerton Audio UHA-3. Might be the same for the HD650? Can't say for sure, though, since I've never tried.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you'll have to look for a used 3Move at that budget, though. I found mine for just a bit over $210.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Check out the D10, or the P3+ if you don't need a DAC. The P3+ is 200$. In that price range, i believe its gonna be the most you can get out of your 650. Or you can pay a little more and get the Lisa III 600 bucks with a power supply for 350. Sorry

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 15
So basically I should look for a 3Move or if I can find some additional cash go for the Lisa III.. Thanks guys! I'm going to do a little bit more reading then make a decision.. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 15
If you are considering stretching your budget you could also look at Ray Samuels amps. I have a set of HD600 coming that I look forward to trying with my SR71A.

Maybe someone with more experience can comment on HD650 and RSA amp pairings?

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Vivid Technologies' V1
Minibox-E+

These two should drive the HD6X0 reasonably well.

I am getting my HD600 today so I'll let you know how they sound with my Minibox E+
icon10.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vivid Technologies' V1
Minibox-E+

These two should drive the HD6X0 reasonably well.

I am getting my HD600 today so I'll let you know how they sound with my Minibox E+
icon10.gif

Well I have been listening to the HD600+Minibox-E+ combo for the past couple of hours and I think they are quite decent. The bass is tight and controlled, the highs crisp and smooth, and, there are lots of details to be heard. I confess I have never auditioned a hi-end setup so just take it as a grain of salt if you will
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 15
dgilmartin;5929798 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, I'm a big fan of technology, but pretty new to the music side..

I already have quite a few sets of headphones already. The latest addition to my collection is a set of HD650s and I love them. I'm currently using them through my laptop/iPhone or through my Yamaha Amp. I'm now looking for the next level of sound.. I've been reading reviews on Head-fi and other sites and to be honest I'm confused!
confused_face(1).gif
I've been looking at quite a few different amps on eBay and like the look of the C&C XO+ (Am I on the right track??)

I have a budget of around $200/€150 and am asking you guys for your expert advice!
dgilmartin;5929798 said:
What kind of music do you listen to? if you mostly listen to vocal or jazz with HD 650, AMP3 is in your price range. If you lean to listen to the ROCK or metal, AMP3 is slightly lack of power. By the way, With AMP3, you can get a decent DAP + earphone amplifier and 100 hours battery and a "YUIN grade" hifi stock freebie earphone!

PLease refer to the comments on AMP3:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index51.html

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 15
I have found that - for me - the iQube is the best portable match with HD650. The iQube really makes the HD650 sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back