Sennheiser HD650
Mar 19, 2005 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rowland

New Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed that their HD650's "buzz" on particularly dynamic material. I am listening to Vladimir Horowitz - The Last Recording and even on low volume this "buzz" is audible. I don't hear this on rock or jazz recording, but will go back to my classical collection to see if this occurs elsewhere.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 12
I have this, but it doesn't really bother me much. There might be a hair in the earcup, or my source (recording) material has some flaws. The creaking nnoise bothers me nore. =)

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks Kirosia. I wonder if it is certain frequencies as the buzzing appears to be independent of the volume.
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowland
....I wonder if it is certain frequencies as the buzzing appears to be independent of the volume.
confused.gif

Rowland, make sure that there's not hair or other debris touching one or both of your drivers. Unless you're listening at volume levels that I'd find ear-splitting with the HD650, buzzing isn't normal.

Also, it could be your recording. I listen to a lot of jazz and classical piano, and buzzing isn't an issue.

EDIT: I just re-read your sentence, and noticed "independent of volume." I'm pretty sure it's your recording or something touching the headphone driver(s).

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The creaking nnoise bothers me nore. =)

Hi Kirosia,
Have you tried this simple mod? After months of fruitless lubricating, this idea solved the whole creaking problem: tiny bits of isolation tape placed as shown in the picture I've taken, and voila! the long desired silence. I might actually begin to like these cans...
very_evil_smiley.gif

650mod.jpg

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Actually I've learned to live with it. Hey, phones sound good, so . . . =)

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 12
I appreciate the responses everyone. Jude, I'll have to play the CD on my main rig with speakers. They're Revel Gems, if those "buzz" it most definitely would be the recording.

Kirosia, if the buzz exists with other recordings and is not limited to the one in question, I'll be happy to give your remedy a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Regards.

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowland
Kirosia, if the buzz exists with other recordings and is not limited to the one in question, I'll be happy to give your remedy a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Regards.

What remedy are you referring to?
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 12
my 650s buzzed, turned out to be defective. My new pair has NO buzz at all.

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Errorich, did you go through your dealer or Sennheiser for the exchange? I've had the HD650's for 4 months or so, but have not listened to them extensively, though they are broken in now.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 12
Rowland, from your description it looks like you've got either a tiny hair or something touching the driver, which actually happens a lot with these cans, or it's a blown driver, which I have also experienced, around two months after the purchase to be exact.

Simply put, if the drivers are clean and still make this buzzing sound, you should demand an exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back