Sennheiser HD650...Yes or No?
Feb 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #61 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mention the designer recommends 24 hrs for the 800's and you reckon the same applies to the 650's - I'm quite happy with that.

But have you any idea why there would be such 'disturbingly' extreme views? Is there any scientific basis behind all of this burn-in business? I think a lot of people may have similar doubts.

When I talked about this to the designer, he mentioned that it was to do with the glue settling in to the final position.

The reason for the pink noise was that it includes bass frequencies which are important.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the off-topic, but which one is better, a Hd600 or Hd650? The price difference is only $70. I listen to a wide variety of music. tHanks.

Normally I would say the 650 - but I have heard quite a few people say that they prefer the 600, I would prefer to keep this open and suggest you listen and decide for yourself.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #65 of 75
Amazon.co.uk is now selling the HD650 for £229.95. Only 3 weeks ago I paid £179.99, that's a £50 difference!!

Looks like I got a very good deal.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #66 of 75
SAA Equinox cable is what you want for the 650. Also the 650 is an amazing headphone and would be one of the best headphones you could get for your new tube amp. Great sound and very comfortable. Great for long listening sessions. No fatigue whatsoever.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SAA Equinox cable is what you want for the 650. Also the 650 is an amazing headphone and would be one of the best headphones you could get for your new tube amp. Great sound and very comfortable. Great for long listening sessions. No fatigue whatsoever.

+1 on that. I just love my new HD650. It was worth to buy them. They are very nice cans with great sound and also good comfort. But i dont have other than stock cable. For now.
evil_smiley.gif
I have DT880 too but i prefer HD650 over them with almost all my music. Probably because they have more bass (quantity) and not so "loud", hard highs.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #69 of 75
I'd love to know what tubes are best for the HD650s , too. I've tried the Mullard M8161s and the 6ZH1P-EVs. While the M8161s are very detailed , they are a bit warm sounding making them not suitable for the HD650s in my opinion. The 6ZH1P-EVs have extensive high and low but not as detailed as the M8161s. If I could combine the pros of these two I would be very happy. Personally , I like the M8161s best for their details.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #70 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by buldogge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What phones do you like (given my info)?

Here's a question...Do you like AKG K240M's or are we simply on completely different pages...???

TA
Mark in St. Louis

Sorry I never got back to you on this Mark. I have never heard the K240's in any variation.

My two current favorite headphones are the L3000 and HP2(HP-1000), although I just received a D7000 yesterday and initial impressions are very favorable. For me the HD650 was just a boring headphone all around. It is too dark and slow for my tastes. I just could never get emotionally attached and involved in the music while listening to them. They definitely are competent performers, however there is something about their sound signature that just doesn't click with me. There isn't enough energy to the music basically.

Have you ever tried a Grado before? If not, try and seek out an HF-1. It's excellent and within your budget.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

SAA Equinox cable is what you want for the 650.

I kinda like the stock; no veil that I can hear. Not sure of the mileage Equinox could bring in my case. Any bet?

Quote:

Also the 650 is an amazing headphone and would be one of the best headphones you could get for your new tube amp. Great sound and very comfortable. Great for long listening sessions. No fatigue whatsoever.

Ditto.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kinda like the stock; no veil that I can hear. Not sure of the mileage Equinox could bring in my case. Any bet?

Ditto.

The Equinox removed a couple of things about the 650 sound signature that I consider "Faults" but even with the stock cable I still love these headphones.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #73 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.co.uk is now selling the HD650 for £229.95. Only 3 weeks ago I paid £179.99, that's a £50 difference!!

Looks like I got a very good deal.

Now on Amazon.co.uk £249.99!! That's £70 more than what I paid recently from the very same place.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #74 of 75
I'm picking up a second hand locally for €150! Very excited if only for the fact that the cheapest I can get it new for is €100 more, and a lot of stores go way over that.. hope it'll do well with my LD MKIII, using Mazda (I know, wut?) EF91 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back