Sennheiser HD650...Yes or No?
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 75
I think you should add 150 to 650 and see what you get...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should add 150 to 650 and see what you get...
evil_smiley.gif

Except... you'd have to add about $1,100+ to get it - way more than the very slight improvement in sound is worth (assuming you have the right set up).

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except... you'd have to add about $1,100+ to get it - way more than the very slight improvement in sound is worth (assuming you have the right set up).

You haven't even heard what the HD800 is capable of, so would you make a comment as silly as this?
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheory1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can you tell the difference between the "new" versions of the hd650's and the "old" versions, are there any tale tale signs? or are you talking c**p?

The claim is that the white/silver driver screen covering sprinkled with magic pixy dust is night and day better than the older HD650's, which had a black driver screen and no pixy dust.
tongue.gif

Here is his thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/old...hd650s-318945/

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheory1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... what music are you into? if it's rock then you may well be better looking at a different set of phones as i didn't really think that the hd650's are all that great at 'rocking out' - get your self a set of grado's if that's what your after...

Trust this man.
As soon as I got an old set of 580s, I hardly ever used the 650s for any rock or metal anymore.
My 650s are my techno cans now.
Whats the diff between old and new visually?

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #37 of 75
...sick, I got the new version!!
With the cap off its a silver screen behind all that plastic strutting and the driver itself.
My 580s are just black silk or something and with a few dings.
Anyone ever repair the black screen?

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...sick, I got the new version!!
With the cap off its a silver screen behind all that plastic strutting and the driver itself.
My 580s are just black silk or something and with a few dings.
Anyone ever repair the black screen?

They're likely the new version of the HD650s - white/silvery metalic fabric covering the driver baffles (not the white felt covering the driver butt). You can see it clearly from the outside, through the screens.

And... there is a fairly significant improvement in the sound over the "old" version with the black silk fabric. I've had multiple units of both versions... and... there simply is no comparison in their sound. The "new" version is much better.

A lot of folks have never heard either version with the proper set up - so they have absolutely "no clue." Novices!

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

A lot of folks have never heard either version with the proper set up - so they have absolutely "no clue." Novices!

That's rich, especially coming from someone making such a grandiosely ignorant comment regarding the HD800.

But you keep telling yourself that the HD800 is only just slightly better than the HD580 if it helps you sleep better.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

They're likely the new version of the HD650s - white/silvery metalic fabric covering the driver baffles (not the white felt covering the driver butt). You can see it clearly from the outside, through the screens.

And... there is a fairly significant improvement in the sound over the "old" version with the black silk fabric. I've had multiple units of both versions... and... there simply is no comparison in their sound. The "new" version is much better.

I am such a novice, I think. I've only ever used my High Gain Grado amp with my 650s, people say I should get another amp.
Little Dot or Woo? In the 500 range, I dunno yet.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by buldogge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fellas...Back to the task at hand...please.
wink.gif

Mark in St. Louis

Sorry...
sennheiser HD650?
YES!!!!
Watch out for price drops though with the 800s around now.
Is it okay to suggest getting at least a little dot mkII to run them?

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #44 of 75
I think LD's mate to HD 650's well. I took the advice of some of the senior members and got a micro tube with the HD 650. Sounds lovely. I cannot wait for a better amp and then some silver cabling...

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser HD650?

Watch out for price drops though with the 800s around now.

I do not expect to see any price drops on the 650 - the 800 is very much more expensive and is a completely different headphone.

In fact, in the UK, the price of the 650 has just gone *up*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back