Sennheiser HD650 Mods Thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 23
  Maybe that will fix some of the detail, but what about the speed?  I could be wrong but from my understanding it won't do anything for that.  

Depending on the mods.. speed does improve.  It's not going to turn into a Stax or anything.. but strategically placed dynamat does tighten the bass, improve (perceived) transient speed, and in turn, reveal better low frequency texture.. and yes, I've modded my 650 (quarter hole in the front foam disc.. removed the plastic "spider" housing & rear foam behind the driver. and have strategically damped the rear baffle with Dynamat). Here's a shot of the rear baffle:

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 23

Depending on the mods.. speed does improve.  It's not going to turn into a Stax or anything.. but strategically placed dynamat does tighten the bass, improve (perceived) transient speed, and in turn, reveal better low frequency texture.. and yes, I've modded my 650 (quarter hole in the front foam disc.. removed the plastic "spider" housing & rear foam behind the driver. and have strategically damped the rear baffle with Dynamat). Here's a shot of the rear baffle:

How would you say these mods compare to properly applied EQ?

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 23
How would you say these mods compare to properly applied EQ?

IME, the mods alleviate some issues that are inherent from the physical design. Eg. The treble sounds more smooth because the plastic cage is no longer an obstruction. The overall presentation sounds cleaner/more defined as a result of the dampening by the Dynamat. Technicalities are improved, and the FR is only changed slightly.

I would imagine that someone EQing would want to nearly apply the same EQ to the modded 650's. I say this without really knowing what the specific purpose of each EQ is.

Eg. The modded 650's aren't magically neutral sounding to my ears... They are slightly less warm perhaps (I still hear a warm/rich tonality), and they have an improved bass presentation, yet still miles away from basshead territory... My recommendation is that if you love the 650's sound, the mods just take it to a higher level.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 23
IME, the mods alleviate some issues that are inherent from the physical design. Eg. The treble sounds more smooth because the plastic cage is no longer an obstruction. The overall presentation sounds cleaner/more defined as a result of the dampening by the Dynamat. Technicalities are improved, and the FR is only changed slightly.

I would imagine that someone EQing would want to nearly apply the same EQ to the modded 650's. I say this without really knowing what the specific purpose of each EQ is.

Eg. The modded 650's aren't magically neutral sounding to my ears... They are slightly less warm perhaps (I still hear a warm/rich tonality), and they have an improved bass presentation, yet still miles away from basshead territory... My recommendation is that if you love the 650's sound, the mods just take it to a higher level.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  Thanks Mikoss!

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 23
I do not recommend removing the rear driver foam, it is an irreversible mod and will lead to dirt and particulates accumulating on the diaphragm over time. I have done most of these mods, I don't think it was worth it.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 23
I haven't had an issue with dirt or dust myself, but I guess it's certainly something to consider. It's also a bit of a chore to get the Dynamat, and make the
modifications. It would be great to have a best friend who could lend a modded pair for comparison. Or find a CanJam type event to compare them as well. Most times, it's difficult to really get a full impression at a meet, but if it's a headphone you're familiar with, I'd say it's probably easier...

As for doing the mods and keeping the rear foam/spider, I wouldn't bother. The changes from their removal are probably the most apparent. So if you don't like the sound of the mod with them gone, I'd just stick with stock.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 23
 I know we're talking taste here and some people prefer pepsi, but I'm always under the illusion that manufacturers add stuff only when they have to. else why would they do it?
so as a result I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to mods involving to remove elements of the headphone.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 23
Like Mikoss I haven't had any issues with dust or dirt. The mods make a big difference and like Mikoss said they don't transform the HD650 to something else but they do elevate and improve on the HD650 sound that we love.

Removing the spider makes a noticeable difference and I would recommend it. These mods make a definite measurable difference. If you are going to take the time to do the mods I would do the 3 main ones, coin mod, rear foam and spider removal, and Dynamat. I haven't heard of many people that didn't prefer the HD650 modded compared to stock.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 23
There's such beautiful synergy between my gear and 650's that there's no way I'm messing with anything. I'm glad you guys dig the mods, but unless I got a smoking deal on another pair, I'm not screwing with mine

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 23
Like Mikoss I haven't had any issues with dust or dirt. The mods make a big difference and like Mikoss said they don't transform the HD650 to something else but they do elevate and improve on the HD650 sound that we love.

Removing the spider makes a noticeable difference and I would recommend it. These mods make a definite measurable difference. If you are going to take the time to do the mods I would do the 3 main ones, coin mod, rear foam and spider removal, and Dynamat. I haven't heard of many people that didn't prefer the HD650 modded compared to stock.

Again, have you tried EQ before modding? Because if you haven't you're pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 23
The HD650 is a fantastic phone.. stock or modded!  Zonto's offered some very useful information that illustrates some of the modded HD650's (measurable) benefits.. but modding isn't absolutely necessary to enjoy it, of course!  For some, a modded pair might not sound (enough) to warrant a change.  Some of the dynamat/damplifier mods can be performed in a minimally-invasive, reversible manner (applying it to the appropriate areas on the rear baffle (except for the back of the driver/spider cage).  This typically reduces structure borne resonance.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 23
Again, have you tried EQ before modding? Because if you haven't you're pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

EQ and mods are very different things. You can't gain clarity, tighten bass, and remove resonance due to the plastic cage using EQ. Like I had said the mods don't transform this headphone into something different, , it's not magically flat, it just improves on what the 650 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back