Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #13,561 of 46,514
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #13,562 of 46,514
If you got "my budget" from "around the same price it less than that cable", you must have a better English-American translating machine than I do. :). It just so happens that I'm having a special this week on custom HD650 balanced cables, £188 shipped.

James-- Seriously, if you want a cheap re-terminated cable, drop me a pm.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #13,563 of 46,514
Quote:
If you got "my budget" from "around the same price it less than that cable", you must have a better English-American translating machine than I do.
smily_headphones1.gif
. It just so happens that I'm having a special this week on custom HD650 balanced cables, £188 shipped.

Looking back and reading it again, I have no clue who is right now..

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #13,564 of 46,514
Sep 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #13,567 of 46,514
I'd get the Toxic Cables one or the BTG-Audio one.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #13,568 of 46,514
Quote:
Anyone know if the sennheiser balanced cable is available for the 650s yet? Any other recommendations for a 4 pin xlr that is available in the uk around the same price it less than that cable (£189). ?

Toxic Cables is your best bet. If you're open to outside UK you really have much, much more choice.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #13,569 of 46,514
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know if the sennheiser balanced cable is available for the 650s yet? Any other recommendations for a 4 pin xlr that is available in the uk around the same price it less than that cable (£189). ?

Toxic Cables is your best bet. If you're open to outside UK you really have much, much more choice.

Toxic are terrific.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #13,570 of 46,514
Not sure why Cardas gets short shrift around here, but it is best quality I know of in all respects.  Their lowest price?  not sure.  I get short cables which both is cheaper and sounds better.  

Cardas Clear Light: best value for HQ: 
http://cardas.com/clear_light_headphone_cable.php

Cardas Clear: Best quality but just a moderate improvement over Light.
http://cardas.com/clear_headphone_cable.php

Original Headphone cable:
Keep this one short, or you'll lose some treble definition and focus: 
http://cardas.com/headphone_cable.php

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #13,571 of 46,514
Hi,

I'm still a newbie at headphones and headphone amps, I currently own a pair of DT 990 Pros, ATH-M50's, and ShureSE535's. I am currently running them through my creative titanium soundcard then through a FiiO E09k amp. Anyway, I just bought a pair of HD650's and should get them tomorrow. I have done research in the threads and a lot of members suggest the crack bottlehead amp and I would go for it but I do not have any electronics experience as far as assembling it. A lot of members have suggested different amps that go well with the HD 650's and after doing research in the forums here I am not sure which I should go for. I have narrowed it down to the HiFiMan EF5 and the Schiit Valhalla. Which one do you think I should go with out of the two? (I think I would like a tube amp) - or is there a better tube amp that is in that price range that would be better to pair with the HD 650's?

Also I was wondering if the FiiO E09k would work well with the HD 650's? Would it give them good sound? It seems to work well with the Beyer Dt990 Pros which are 300 Ohm and I believe the HD 650's are 300 Ohm as well. Would the E09k be ok with the HD 650's?

Thank you for any input you guys have, you guys are experts, I am just a beginner. And yes I have researched the forums to try to get as much info as possible, but I have been unable to find a post that compares the HiFiMan EF5 and the Schiit Valhalla amps for the HD 650's.

Thanks again for any advice and suggestions, and if anyone thinks the FiiO E09K would work just fine, then please let me know so I can save some cash
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #13,574 of 46,514
Quote:
Hi,

I'm still a newbie at headphones and headphone amps, I currently own a pair of DT 990 Pros, ATH-M50's, and ShureSE535's. I am currently running them through my creative titanium soundcard then through a FiiO E09k amp. Anyway, I just bought a pair of HD650's and should get them tomorrow. I have done research in the threads and a lot of members suggest the crack bottlehead amp and I would go for it but I do not have any electronics experience as far as assembling it. A lot of members have suggested different amps that go well with the HD 650's and after doing research in the forums here I am not sure which I should go for. I have narrowed it down to the HiFiMan EF5 and the Schiit Valhalla. Which one do you think I should go with out of the two? (I think I would like a tube amp) - or is there a better tube amp that is in that price range that would be better to pair with the HD 650's?

Also I was wondering if the FiiO E09k would work well with the HD 650's? Would it give them good sound? It seems to work well with the Beyer Dt990 Pros which are 300 Ohm and I believe the HD 650's are 300 Ohm as well. Would the E09k be ok with the HD 650's?

Thank you for any input you guys have, you guys are experts, I am just a beginner. And yes I have researched the forums to try to get as much info as possible, but I have been unable to find a post that compares the HiFiMan EF5 and the Schiit Valhalla amps for the HD 650's.

Thanks again for any advice and suggestions, and if anyone thinks the FiiO E09K would work just fine, then please let me know so I can save some cash
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!

E09K is acceptable for the HD650, but you're missing out on what they can fully do. Be sure to enjoy the HD650 on them for now... they should be decent. But I'm positive both the Valhalla and Bottlehead crack will be better. TBH though... I'd get a better DAC (bifrost?) for source first other than your soundcard.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #13,575 of 46,514
Seconded. If you can spring the extra $80 or so, the HRT Microstreamer will drive them better and give you a DAC worthy of pairing with a nicer amp when you can afford to upgrade; that's what I did, and with my current Microstreamer -> Schiit Asgard setup, I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon.
E09K is acceptable for the HD650, but you're missing out on what they can fully do. Be sure to enjoy the HD650 on them for now... they should be decent. But I'm positive both the Valhalla and Bottlehead crack will be better. TBH though... I'd get a better DAC (bifrost?) for source first other than your soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back