Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #11,026 of 46,514
Aerocraft, I enjoyed both the message and the wonderful use of our language as you clearly made your points. That was both and informative and an enjoyable read....thank you for your time. I see audio much like one of my other hobbies, that being photography. There are obviously diminishing returns as to the capabilities of the gear for dollar spent as you get to the high end of the spectrum, and only each user can decide if they need/or want the best that money can buy. I shoot with a Nikon D4, as it provides me the opportunity to capture most of what I want so I am willing to pay that price. For home theatre, I settled on seven Paradigm speakers as that is the price point I decided would give me the performance I was willing to buy. Yes, there are better speakers, but not ones I am willing to pay for. Now back to topic at hand, I am now trying to decide which headphone and supporting gear will give me the sound I want for what I am willing to pay. Thanks to all the great post here, I am going to start with the HD-650 and hope I am lucky enough to get it correct the first time. Without sites and posters like the ones here, I believe my odds would be slim to none to get close to what I want first try. Without everyone here, I would have not a clue as to where to start. So, I appreciate your post, and all the rest for the volumes of great info on this one site! I am ignorant without experience, but luckily I can capitalize on the experience gained by the posters here.
Sincerely,
Greg

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #11,027 of 46,514
Who wants to lead the angry mob to that guys house? Ill bring the schnapps
Quote:
I'm more of a HD600 fan.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #11,030 of 46,514
I may have to reassess my previous statement of the M51 and Mjolnir being overkill for the HD650. The fully balanced system is revealing an incredibly wide soundstage with certain material. Audio cues seemingly originating beyond the headspace are making me look instinctively over the shoulder to investigate the source. My HD650 is giving me a sore neck.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #11,031 of 46,514
I'm glad you came to that conclusion.  I'm not sure how any revealing system can be overkill.  Especially when it comes to headphones such as the HD650 that has the possibility to scale with better gear.

Good findings..

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #11,032 of 46,514
My previous point (which may have been lost in the mustering of the HD650 defence force) was that the scalability was perhaps overstated. Enjoyment can still be derived from very affordable components. I certainly wouldn't shill the NAD M51 and Mjolnir to someone with the HD650 as their only headphone.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #11,033 of 46,514
Quote:
My previous point (which may have been lost in the mustering of the HD650 defence force) was that the scalability was perhaps overstated. Enjoyment can still be derived from very affordable components. I certainly wouldn't shill the NAD M51 and Mjolnir to someone with the HD650 as their only headphone.

Yeah - but if money was no object then why not?

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #11,036 of 46,514
Hi all,

I used to own the HD650 and PC360, along with Q701, M50 and SigPro, sold all except the SigPro

To burn them in I used heavy bass tracks like Bass Mekanik, however at certain peaks the HD650 and PC360 just couldn't handle it and started to "burp" on me, i quickly turned down the volume in hopes i didn't break them.
I tested the very same tracks with the Q701/m50/SigPro, all of which handled the bass nice and efficiently, I also have a friend who has the HD595's; which i asked him to test the bass tracks and he was surprised with the same result as me.
I tested each headphone on the WA7/Matrix/Dragonfly, all the same result.

Any idea why Sennheiser drivers fail to produce certain bass frequencies?

Heres the track in question although I have a better quality version.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #11,039 of 46,514
Quote:
I may have to reassess my previous statement of the M51 and Mjolnir being overkill for the HD650. The fully balanced system is revealing an incredibly wide soundstage with certain material. Audio cues seemingly originating beyond the headspace are making me look instinctively over the shoulder to investigate the source. My HD650 is giving me a sore neck.

Decware does a live broadcast every year for their Zenfest. Steve has it mic'd with top stereo mic's. Watching the live feed I kept turning around as the soundstage behind me made it seem like someone was entering the room from the rear....Cool effect. the 650's really showed well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #11,040 of 46,514
I definitely get a far rear sound effect from time to time, and not one that's spaced incrementally rearward from the main sound image, but like way back there, as if in a rear channel home theater. It's very fleeting and intermittent, so I fall for it every time, thinking something is behind me. I face a wall and window at my desk, which magnifies the startling effect. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back