Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #10,111 of 46,554
Quote:
I'm not sure I like the HD650 more with the Amperex tubes. They aren't as crisp sounding as the GEs, though they are more revealing somehow? At least on my DT880. But there were some songs that I listened to on my HD650 last night where I was listening for one specific part in a song that is a little hard to hear, and I swear it was smoothed right over. Like it wasn't even there. Vocals didn't really seem any better, either. I do like the sound on my DT880 but it will take some getting used to with my HD650.

That statement is quite nebulous. What are they? Where were they made? Era? Getters?

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #10,112 of 46,554
Quote:

That statement is quite nebulous. What are they? Where were they made? Era? Getters?

I believe Yokken bought these from [size=small]mercedesman6572 [/size]on eBay:

MANUFACTURER:                           
  AMPEREX
PRODUCTION CITY:                                 
  HERLEEN NETHERLANDS
TUBE TYPE:
  6DJ8, ECC88
DESIGNATION:                                          
  ORANGE LABEL
YEAR:
    1971-5
MONTH:
    MARCH
Date code match
  YES ON FIRST 4 PAIRS NO ON 2
SILK SCREEN CONDITION %:                
   80-100%
MICA:
PLATES:
  GREY
GM%:
  110%,120% AND 120%, 100%
SINGLE/PAIR/QUAD/MULTI:
  PAIR
GETTER:                                                      
  A FRAME DIMPLE  GETTER
DATE CODE                                               
   DELTA 1 C 3

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10,113 of 46,554
They are 1972 Tektronix-checked Orange Amperex PQs. Got em for 50 bucks.

Edit: Beat me to it.  Thanks :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #10,114 of 46,554
Quote:

That statement is quite nebulous.

You do realize that Head-Fi provides a prize for anyone using the word "nebulous" correctly. This week its an LCD-3--lucky you! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #10,116 of 46,554
Quote:
They are 1972 Tektronix-checked Orange Amperex PQs. Got em for 50 bucks.

Edit: Beat me to it.  Thanks :)

PQ labeled OG's? Odd.

Are these the ones you're referring to? These A-frames are the ones I recommend, though mine were manufactured a few years earlier. If those tubes don't do it for you and you require a more balanced presentation I'd suggest checking out the Bugle Boys. These have better clarity and a more open soundstage than the OGs, but I found them too polite for the HD650. Awesome for the HD800 though.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #10,119 of 46,554
Yes, the scredn behind the grills are whte. The old ones are black. Its obvious, really. Google some images, you can clearly see the difference.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #10,121 of 46,554
Quote:
Yes, the scredn behind the grills are whte. The old ones are black. Its obvious, really. Google some images, you can clearly see the difference.

Oh I see, thankyou MLE, the screen being the material on the baffles and not the grill, I was a little worried as the model I recieved has a relatively lower serial number (109808) compared to others I've seen. Here's my pair:

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #10,123 of 46,554
Hi! This is my first post in this thread. I have had HD650 for a couple of years now and I really like them. I have the old version with black drivers. Would it be worth it to upgrade drivers to the new ones. I can get new drivers for €100. Anyone here who really heard that difference in sound between the two?

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #10,125 of 46,554
Quote:
Hi! This is my first post in this thread. I have had HD650 for a couple of years now and I really like them. I have the old version with black drivers. Would it be worth it to upgrade drivers to the new ones. I can get new drivers for €100. Anyone here who really heard that difference in sound between the two?

The difference is the damping material used on the baffles as MLE confirmed, so if you do get new ones make certain it's the whole baffle/driver and not just the capsules. From what I've been reading this morning some say there's a definitive, large difference, the new material un-veils them, makes them brighter and more controlled, with more consistent sound between batches of HD650s. Some say there's no difference, very mixed opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back