Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #8,416 of 46,514
Thanks a lot guys. Also I was referring to this.

Very true. I'm sure it's a very good soundcard, but it's still a soundcard. Not only that, but the STX is like 2.5 times the cost of the USB add-on for the Bifrost, so the USB option would be much cheaper in the long run. Are you sure your computer doesn't have an optical Toslink output? Then you wouldn't need either.

So if I have a Toslink connection which I do. Does that eliminate me from having to get a Bifrost or? I'm just slightly confused by "Then you wouldn't need either".

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #8,417 of 46,514
Quote:
Do you guys know if the HD650 could be properly driven by the Apogee Duet 2 (30 Ohms output impedance)? I read somewhere that the "1/8" rule is what I should live by, but I have also read that I should try to match the source's output impedance with the headphone impedance. 

Im not a electronics engineer but as i understand it below 10 ohms is best something to do with damping the headphone drivers correctly.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #8,418 of 46,514
Quote:
Do you guys know if the HD650 could be properly driven by the Apogee Duet 2 (30 Ohms output impedance)? I read somewhere that the "1/8" rule is what I should live by, but I have also read that I should try to match the source's output impedance with the headphone impedance. 

It should be good to go with headphones 240 ohms and up!  I remember seeing a graph where the HD-650 impedance swing across the freq range to be about 253 to like 500 ohms or thereabouts.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #8,420 of 46,514
Quote:

This might give some explanation why low impedance output is better most decent amps are below 10 ohms.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2011/12/2/0-ohm-headphone-amplifier-sonic-advantages-low-impedance-headphone-amp

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #8,422 of 46,514
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys. Also I was referring to this.
So if I have a Toslink connection which I do. Does that eliminate me from having to get a Bifrost or? I'm just slightly confused by "Then you wouldn't need either".

I think the Bifrost has optical input as standard the USB option is a extra . I havn't seen one to confirm this but someone on here should confirm this as its a popular DAC for the HD650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back