Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #7,771 of 46,514
Just got my pair.... I have maybe 45 minutes on them.  Initially, a little disappointed, and I'm not sure why.  I love my HD600s and I guess I expected to be blown away relative to them.  I'm going to give myself some more time acclimating before posting again....

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7,772 of 46,514
Quote:
Just got my pair.... I have maybe 45 minutes on them.  Initially, a little disappointed, and I'm not sure why.  I love my HD600s and I guess I expected to be blown away relative to them.  I'm going to give myself some more time acclimating before posting again....

Yeah, take some time with it.  It takes some time to get acclimated to and appreciate the HD650's sound signature, especially when coming from brighter headphones like the HD600(relatively speaking).

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #7,773 of 46,514
Quote:

They left me really unimpressed at first too, but they grew on me massively. What I'm interested in is how they compare to 600s; I have a feeling the 600 is just right for me, but I don't want to spend money on something so similar to the 650 before I know.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #7,774 of 46,514
Quote:

Yeah, take some time with it.  It takes some time to get acclimated to and appreciate the HD650's sound signature, especially when coming from brighter headphones like the HD600(relatively speaking).

I do actually like a slightly brighter/more forward headphone than my new 650's but I can live without it. But is the 600 a forward version of the 650 or just not as refined? 

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #7,776 of 46,514
Thinking of buying these. The music I'd buy them for primarily is stuff like Carbon Based Lifeforms, ATB, Above and Beyond, Enigma, etc - trancy, psychedelic stuff, often fairly chill. But I'd also like it to be good for hip-hop and dance stuff, as well as pop like Rihanna and Nicki Minaj and that type of stuff. I don't listen to much Rock or guitary stuff, although there would be a bit of that as well. Do you think these are good headphones to look at it?

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #7,777 of 46,514
The HD650 isn't really suited for ambient/electronica. Could be more a matter of preference, but technical abilities bottle neck the HD650.
It doesn't have the ability to bring out the details or present a big enough soundstage. By no means is it bad. Completely enjoyable still, just not ideal.

Then again the only alternative would be the HD800, IMO.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #7,778 of 46,514
Quote:
Thinking of buying these. The music I'd buy them for primarily is stuff like Carbon Based Lifeforms, ATB, Above and Beyond, Enigma, etc - trancy, psychedelic stuff, often fairly chill. But I'd also like it to be good for hip-hop and dance stuff, as well as pop like Rihanna and Nicki Minaj and that type of stuff. I don't listen to much Rock or guitary stuff, although there would be a bit of that as well. Do you think these are good headphones to look at it?

I've got to say this works pretty damn good on them. They are good for dance too, but you really need to mess with the EQ and have a decent amp.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #7,779 of 46,514
Quote:
I do actually like a slightly brighter/more forward headphone than my new 650's but I can live without it. But is the 600 a forward version of the 650 or just not as refined? 

I'd say the HD650 is just a smidgen more refined, with better soundstage depth and imaging.  You could say the HD600 is more forward or better yet more neutral sounding.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #7,780 of 46,514
Guys for you who already brought a new pair of HD650,does before the burn in (whatever it should be named burn-in ,pads-in ,ear-in or brain-in) this cans sound noticeably different until they have more hours on in?

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7,781 of 46,514
Quote:
Guys for you who already brought a new pair of HD650,does before the burn in (whatever it should be named burn-in ,pads-in ,ear-in or brain-in) this cans sound noticeably different until they have more hours on in?

I'd suggest a few hours of burn in, but nothing too elaborate or intense.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #7,782 of 46,514
Quote:

No. There may be subtle change as the pads compress over time but nothing too dramatic. Improvements come with upgrades in ancillary components and better source material.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #7,783 of 46,514
First post here on Head-Fi.. Figured it'd be cheaper building a listening station instead of an all out 2 channel setup.. Just bought the HD650's and a Little Dot MK III, will be using a Pioneer Elite CD player and Ipod (Lossless format only) for source.. Cant wait.. Can you guys tell me how loud outside the cans, these actually are? Is it going to annoy others? I'll have to get a lazy boy and sit in the closet with no lights, just tube lighting ftw...

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #7,784 of 46,514
Quote:

No. There may be subtle change as the pads compress over time but nothing too dramatic. Improvements come with upgrades in ancillary components and better source material.

Quote:
I'd suggest a few hours of burn in, but nothing too elaborate or intense.

Thanks for the input,better for me as i would not need to expect any bigger improvement and get the idea of it's sound signature as soon as i got them on-head.I am gonna start with some Pink Floyd,ACDC,and RATM,then some Brazilian band.

SRI3850341 welcome to Head-fi and sorry for ....,oh nothing ,never mind.
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #7,785 of 46,514
Quote:
First post here on Head-Fi.. Figured it'd be cheaper building a listening station instead of an all out 2 channel setup.. Just bought the HD650's and a Little Dot MK III, will be using a Pioneer Elite CD player and Ipod (Lossless format only) for source.. Cant wait.. Can you guys tell me how loud outside the cans, these actually are? Is it going to annoy others? I'll have to get a lazy boy and sit in the closet with no lights, just tube lighting ftw...

the back end of the can is completely exposed and it sounds that way too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back