Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #7,442 of 46,554
They are worth the wait!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #7,444 of 46,554
The Dynalo, of course! It has all that was good with E10 plus treble, wider soundstage, more precise imaging and better control over bass. Luckily I was able to iron out the output DC on the Dynalo under 0.3mV (without servo) so even lower impedance headphones will be safe.

Now I'm looking to get a Pico DAC or the Dacport LX as a source.

You should have said E10 for lols.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7,445 of 46,554
Well my two week demo of the T1's has come to an end, so I'm back to my trusty HD650's.  It's pretty amazing that a headphone of this cost compared to something like the T1 still sounds so good to my ears.  The T1 overall isn't really my cup of tea though; not a fan of tipped up treble, hence why I love the HD650s so much.  These are so easy to listen to, and sound so alive with the Lyr.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #7,446 of 46,554
Quote:
Well my two week demo of the T1's has come to an end, so I'm back to my trusty HD650's.  It's pretty amazing that a headphone of this cost compared to something like the T1 still sounds so good to my ears.  The T1 overall isn't really my cup of tea though; not a fan of tipped up treble, hence why I love the HD650s so much.  These are so easy to listen to, and sound so alive with the Lyr.

Interesting. I didnt find T1 trebbly at all. It was the most comfortable sound I ever listen to. Things do go up and down but they sounded everything with out poking your ears. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #7,449 of 46,554
I have always appreciated the HD650's ability to create great treble without the harsh peaks. Fatigue free listening even at higher volumes.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #7,450 of 46,554
Quote:

It's always good to hear when folks find HD650 comparing so well to the $1k+ club!  And +1 on the Lyr combo.  What tubes are you using with them?

Quote:
They are perhaps one of the most treble-oriented headphones on the market.  Even more than DT990 according to measurements.

Yeah, I've heard HD800 is more fatiguing than T1 over time, as are Grados, but Beyer's infamous 8.5kh peaks are still here, as one would expect a Beyer to sound.  It's the same DT880 vs HD650 debate that this thread started with a thousand years ago
tongue.gif

It wouldn't be a Beyer if it didn't peak at 8.5khz.  And it wouldn't be a Sennheiser if it did (HD700 need not apply...)

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #7,451 of 46,554
Quote:

It's always good to hear when folks find HD650 comparing so well to the $1k+ club!  And +1 on the Lyr combo.  What tubes are you using with them?

Yeah, I've heard HD800 is more fatiguing than T1 over time, as are Grados, but Beyer's infamous 8.5kh peaks are still here, as one would expect a Beyer to sound.  It's the same DT880 vs HD650 debate that this thread started with a thousand years ago
tongue.gif

It wouldn't be a Beyer if it didn't peak at 8.5khz.  And it wouldn't be a Sennheiser if it did (HD700 need not apply...)

After having the LCD-2 and HD650 for five weeks together my pick goes to the HD650.  They seem equally detailed to my ears but the HD650 has better air and soundstage, not to mention they are way more comfortable.    Haven't listened to the LCD-2 for a couple of days now, I'm thinking seriously about selling them.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7,452 of 46,554
Quote:

Well I ordered them with the GE 6BZ7, but just last night swapped them out for the stock JJs.  The JJs sound a bit more transparent, and I think are a better overall match for the HD650s.  I'm still adjusting to the "reduced" treble (by contrast to the T1s).  Really the only thing that I wish I could change about the 650s after hearing the T1s is reducing the bass a bit.  But....that's why HD600s exist :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #7,453 of 46,554
Quote:

After having the LCD-2 and HD650 for five weeks together my pick goes to the HD650.  They seem equally detailed to my ears but the HD650 has better air and soundstage, not to mention they are way more comfortable.    Haven't listened to the LCD-2 for a couple of days now, I'm thinking seriously about selling them.

Wow that's actually very surprising to me.  I will be demoing the LCD-2s sometime in the near future.  I was hoping based on all the reviews I've read, that the LCD-2 would almost be like an upgraded HD650.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the pros and cons of each after comparing them for 5 weeks?

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #7,454 of 46,554
Quote:
Wow that's actually very surprising to me.  I will be demoing the LCD-2s sometime in the near future.  I was hoping based on all the reviews I've read, that the LCD-2 would almost be like an upgraded HD650.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the pros and cons of each after comparing them for 5 weeks?

I suppose it depends entirely on what you are looking for and what genres you like...

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7,455 of 46,554

That 's what I did as well. Sonic alone hd 650 is about 90% of lcd 2 and it's better at layering IMO. And after a long day at work, none of us want to do head exercise. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back