Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #7,337 of 46,506
Hmm.. I'll put some consideration into the o2 as well then.. What about the asgard? I've heard it sounds good as well.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #7,340 of 46,506
Quote:

Surprised the Asgard was mentioned over the Valhalla. Most reviews I've read mention the Valhalla is a better match.

Yeah the valhalla is more expensive though.. but i still am considering it. I think i've narrowed my list down to the asgard/valhalla, m-stage, and o2.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #7,341 of 46,506
Quote:
Yeah the valhalla is more expensive though.. but i still am considering it. I think i've narrowed my list down to the asgard/valhalla, m-stage, and o2.

I've owned the M-Stage and the O2, and I find the M-Stage is a bit of a slow amp.  I don't think it'd be a good pairing for the H650.
This is just speculation, but I've heard from friends that the Asgard is slower than the M-Stage, so it may be an even worse pairing.

Your choice should, in my opinion, be between the Valhalla and the O2.  Pick the Valhalla if you like tubes and pick the O2 if you like solid state.  The Valhalla will introduce distortion that you may find pleasing and the O2 will not.
I personally picked the O2 because I need low-distortion monitoring for my job, but the Valhalla is good if you want the tube warmth.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #7,342 of 46,506
Quote:
I've owned the M-Stage and the O2, and I find the M-Stage is a bit of a slow amp.  I don't think it'd be a good pairing for the H650.
This is just speculation, but I've heard from friends that the Asgard is slower than the M-Stage, so it may be an even worse pairing.

Your choice should, in my opinion, be between the Valhalla and the O2.  Pick the Valhalla if you like tubes and pick the O2 if you like solid state.  The Valhalla will introduce distortion that you may find pleasing and the O2 will not.
I personally picked the O2 because I need low-distortion monitoring for my job, but the Valhalla is good if you want the tube warmth.

Hmm, thanks a lot! I think i'm leaning towards the valhalla now. I've always had ss amps, and i kinda wanna give tubes a try.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #7,343 of 46,506
Nope.  Sealed.
It's not BRIGHT, it's just...even.  Like, there's no sibilance of any kind, but there's tons of treble.  It has clearer treble than my DT880/600, which I have right next to me.  It doesn't have a mid-high bump like the K702 or the DT880/600.  It's even through that area.  It's after that, in the 15-20khz area that there's tons of presence.  I A/B my headphones playing pink noise with the trees in my back yard, and the HD650 is the closest yet.
I may be worth noting that I can hear up to 21khz.

Strange. 650 is def darker than 600. I have no idea why you experience that but try playing dif music? I'm sure u have already but it does sound strange

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7,344 of 46,506
Quote:
Strange. 650 is def darker than 600. I have no idea why you experience that but try playing dif music? I'm sure u have already but it does sound strange

It's an odd experience.  It's definitely a dark can, now that I listen more, but there's also tons of treble. 
confused_face_2.gif
  The mids and treble are incredibly balanced, and it has this tinkling, crystal-clear presence up in the cymbal area and the blackest background I've ever heard.  It's so...unfatiguing.  Oddly enough, this is exactly the opposite of what I'd call a "veil."  It's all so well-defined.
My equipment is my film and music engineering chain, and it's pretty good.  Maybe this is the 650s "scaling up" everyone keeps talking about.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #7,346 of 46,506
Quote:
I'm getting an Asgard tomorrow to pair with my HD650. I'll make sure to give impressions. 

Looking forward to hear them!

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #7,347 of 46,506
Just curious as I am new to tube amps. What do you mean by distortion. I would think that would be a bad thing in listening to music. I really like tube amps because they seem aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I have an O2 and just wondering how they differ in sound between each other?

Quote:

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7,348 of 46,506
Quote:
Just curious as I am new to tube amps. What do you mean by distortion. I would think that would be a bad thing in listening to music. I really like tube amps because they seem aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I have an O2 and just wondering how they differ in sound between each other?

Some people like the certain distortion tubes give. It won't make everything sound crappy, but it would make drastic changes to the sound signature of the music, the "distortion" is just how much the output differs from the input I think. I think the rule of thumb is if you want a very colored sound (tubes can still have a lot of detail though from what I'm told) go tubes and if you want a transparent/natural sound go solid state, but there are exceptions to both.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my understanding.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7,349 of 46,506
What do you mean by output differs from input?

Quote:
Some people like the certain distortion tubes give. It won't make everything sound crappy, but it would make drastic changes to the sound signature of the music, the "distortion" is just how much the output differs from the input I think. I think the rule of thumb is if you want a very colored sound (tubes can still have a lot of detail though from what I'm told) go tubes and if you want a transparent/natural sound go solid state, but there are exceptions to both.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back