Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #7,126 of 46,513
Just to clarify... are you trying to decide between tubes and bx2's? Get the Bx2's... I've never heard anything remotely bad about the monitor audio's! I think it's more bang for the buck...

If you're trying to decide between hd650's or the monitor audio's then go which ever is more practical. Do you have a decent sized space where you can listen to speakers without disturbing people then get the speakers? If not  get the HD650's. You wont lose too much with these headphones compared to speakers, they really are incredible!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a struggling student and hence, I'm looking to get into tubes on the cheap. It's either this or get a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's. Just wanna make sure that the decision I make nets me the best bang for buck right now cause this will blow my savings. lol Cheers

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7,127 of 46,513
Has anyone tried the HD-650 with the HRT MSII? Does anyone think the MSII is dark or will sort of muddy up the sound?
I've heard some say the MSII is a darker DAC, but I don't really think so. Maybe slightly warm. Maybe it's not as transparent as people say.

My guess is that it's a better match for the K701 or Q701. I love it for the Q701, but not so much the HD-580 or HD-598.

I know it's a dirt cheap DAC, but I bet the HD-650 sounds really good with the E7.Obviously the HD-650 deserves better, but that seems like a brighter sounding DAC.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #7,128 of 46,513
Quote:
For anyone interested in a potential purchase, they are currently priced at $339 new on Amazon.com. Not sure what the reason is for the sudden price reduction but if you were waiting to get these on sale now might be the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/dp/B00018MSNI?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camels-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00018MSNI

They are $424.15 now. Someone's playing pricing games on Amazon. :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #7,130 of 46,513
Quote:
Just to clarify... are you trying to decide between tubes and bx2's? Get the Bx2's... I've never heard anything remotely bad about the monitor audio's! I think it's more bang for the buck...

If you're trying to decide between hd650's or the monitor audio's then go which ever is more practical. Do you have a decent sized space where you can listen to speakers without disturbing people then get the speakers? If not  get the HD650's. You wont lose too much with these headphones compared to speakers, they really are incredible!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking I might go monitor audio's since the 650's I have are a very longish loaner pair. I will get my own but since I'm gonna have these for a while I figured I might get the tubes now and then get my own 650's when I return these. I love the hd-650 sound btw but I keep hearing how the LCD-2 is the better headphone, hehe. The kicker is that I have the vintage NAD which I'm hoping drives the BX2's sufficiently. I currently have an ancient pair of AR speakers. It's really irritating cause all my spare cash is going into paying for school hence, me wanting best bang for buck.

Incidentally, my source is an essence stx - the dream is an Audiolabs M-Dac.

I hope I'm making sense and apologies if this is offtopic.

Cheers

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #7,131 of 46,513
As an amp, I'd steer away from the E7. As a DAC, you'll survive. I used an E7 as a DAC with my Darkvoice 337 tube amp and I hated how warm/dull it sounded. I upgraded straight to the PS Audio DLIII and it was quite a bit better, but the amp was still too warm for me. Basically, the E7 as a DAC wasn't very powerful enough, as in like it made the music kinda dull for me. As an amp, out of the box the soundstage was so bad everything sounded like it was coming directly from the left and right, and far away at that. It slowly got better as the 650s burned in (so I do believe in burn in for moving parts, well I always did before I ever got into headphones, seemed logical to me).

If it's all you've got, you'll be alright as a temporary solution (although I'd probably even prefer my $80 IEMs out of my phone because of the better synergy) but if it's just curiosity and you've got better equipment, I wouldn't waste my time. Keep in mind though I moved up to the DV337 (I didn't have the line out adapter for the E7 as a DAC so it would have been headphone jack only on the DV, that's why I used the E7) before I let the 650s fully burn in (well most likely) so your experience might be better than mine.
Quote:
Has anyone tried the HD-650 with the HRT MSII? Does anyone think the MSII is dark or will sort of muddy up the sound?
I've heard some say the MSII is a darker DAC, but I don't really think so. Maybe slightly warm. Maybe it's not as transparent as people say.

My guess is that it's a better match for the K701 or Q701. I love it for the Q701, but not so much the HD-580 or HD-598.

I know it's a dirt cheap DAC, but I bet the HD-650 sounds really good with the E7.Obviously the HD-650 deserves better, but that seems like a brighter sounding DAC.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #7,132 of 46,513
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking I might go monitor audio's since the 650's I have are a very longish loaner pair. I will get my own but since I'm gonna have these for a while I figured I might get the tubes now and then get my own 650's when I return these. I love the hd-650 sound btw but I keep hearing how the LCD-2 is the better headphone, hehe. The kicker is that I have the vintage NAD which I'm hoping drives the BX2's sufficiently. I currently have an ancient pair of AR speakers. It's really irritating cause all my spare cash is going into paying for school hence, me wanting best bang for buck.

Incidentally, my source is an essence stx - the dream is an Audiolabs M-Dac.

I hope I'm making sense and apologies if this is offtopic.

Cheers

If you can listen to speakers without bothering people - go for them first.  Get your speaker set up done first and then focus on headphones if you need to.  Most of us have headphones as the secondary playback method.  BTW i have the older Monitor Audio bronze speakers which I love.  I did have to EQ them quite a bit for my crazy boomy room.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #7,134 of 46,513
Hello everybody! I've finally decided that I will spend some money to get more out of my HD650s. I was hoping you all will guide me in a good direction.

I am pretty new to the realm of higher end audio enjoyment and so, I am very noob at this. 
I have a $500 - $600 dollar budget to spend on upgrades. I am always using the 650s at my computer which employs the Asus Xonar Essence STX.
I heard tube amps were a good match for the HD650s, so should I be mainly considering this option? As for DACs, I don't really know much about them.
I listen to a variety of music and also do some gaming (if that matters).

So my main question is, what is the best way to spend my budget to make better use of the HD650s? An Amp? DACs? Or maybe a cable replacement?
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #7,135 of 46,513
Quote:
Hello everybody! I've finally decided that I will spend some money to get more out of my HD650s. I was hoping you all will guide me in a good direction.

I am pretty new to the realm of higher end audio enjoyment and so, I am very noob at this. 
I have a $500 - $600 dollar budget to spend on upgrades. I am always using the 650s at my computer which employs the Asus Xonar Essence STX.
I heard tube amps were a good match for the HD650s, so should I be mainly considering this option? As for DACs, I don't really know much about them.
I listen to a variety of music and also do some gaming (if that matters).

So my main question is, what is the best way to spend my budget to make better use of the HD650s? An Amp? DACs? Or maybe a cable replacement?
Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.

ell what is your current setup? That might make it easier to judge whether a DAC or amp upgrade is better, or a balanced upgrade to both. I had a $600 tube amp that I've read as highly regarded (at least at one point in time; the Darkvoice 337) and went from an E7 ($100) as a DAC to a PS Audio DLIII ($800) and it made the experience a lot better. Then I went to a $300 amp (with built in DAC keep in mind for the price, but I use the much-better DLIII) and it was even more amazing, so it's hard to say which is better to upgrade first in general/which is most important in the chain (well at least with my experience).

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #7,136 of 46,513
Quote:
ell what is your current setup? That might make it easier to judge whether a DAC or amp upgrade is better, or a balanced upgrade to both. I had a $600 tube amp that I've read as highly regarded (at least at one point in time; the Darkvoice 337) and went from an E7 ($100) as a DAC to a PS Audio DLIII ($800) and it made the experience a lot better. Then I went to a $300 amp (with built in DAC keep in mind for the price, but I use the much-better DLIII) and it was even more amazing, so it's hard to say which is better to upgrade first in general/which is most important in the chain (well at least with my experience).

I am only using the Essence STX with the 650s. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7,137 of 46,513

I'm running iMac/MSii+/E7/HD650. Haven't sample anything else except iMac/E7/E9/HD650.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #7,139 of 46,513
Can people post a screenshot of the EQ settings they use with HD650?

Also IEMcrazy can you link me to information about the speed of the HD650 drivers... You say that technically they are quite fast drivers and it is just the way that they are voiced which makes them sound slow? I am interested in seeing this maybe compared to a d2000 or other headphones. I am not disputing what you say I am sure you are right I am just interested in the theory behind it and also trying to make them sound as "fast" as possible if as you say the drivers are capable of it. Increasing the upper midrange definately makes them sound better.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #7,140 of 46,513
Quote:
Can people post a screenshot of the EQ settings they use with HD650?

Also IEMcrazy can you link me to information about the speed of the HD650 drivers... You say that technically they are quite fast drivers and it is just the way that they are voiced which makes them sound slow? I am interested in seeing this maybe compared to a d2000 or other headphones. I am not disputing what you say I am sure you are right I am just interested in the theory behind it and also trying to make them sound as "fast" as possible if as you say the drivers are capable of it. Increasing the upper midrange definately makes them sound better.

It's not a screenshot but it looks like this...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Seriously, thought I'm very happy with my EQ turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back