Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #5,086 of 46,514
I'm not really sure.  I haven't delved into the tube-rolling fun as of yet and hopefully that will change after delivery of my CTH, but for now you are better off posting that in the Woo Audio Amp Owner's Unite thread or making a thread about Mullard/Telefunkens in the Headphone Amps section -- Skylab or someone else who knows a lot of tubes will jump in.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5,087 of 46,514
Deleted.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #5,088 of 46,514
Matrix Mini-i .. will probably go Schiit Lyr in the new year.

Quote:
What do you guys use to amp your HD650?

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #5,089 of 46,514

Quote:
I thought tubes are dark / laid back? I am confused how everyone seems to recommend tubes for the HD650 while simultaneously people say tubes are laid back.

Try and get some experience with tube amps....this generalization is just silly.
rolleyes.gif
Tube amps cans sound vastly different based on design (OTL vs Transformer coupled), tubes used, transformer design, circuitry, etc...

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #5,091 of 46,514
4 years ago when I started Medical school in the great white north, I discovered a small audio shop just across the street from me. I walked in, unassuming and naive, and quietly began to browse. The shop attendant looked at me and noticed my white apple earphones around my neck and told me to try some headphones on. He put a pair of 595 senns around my ears and I was completely blown away. My jaw literally dropped and he just laughed at me. I was in sonic bliss and revelled in the detail, separation of instruments, and the splendour of the soundstage that left me feeling like I was 10 rows from the front of the stage. I proceeded to demo the 30 other hi end headphones they had there and was never the same.

Immediately after that visit, I could never wear my apple earphones again, and I started reading up on threads at head-fi that lead me from curiosity to obsession. Every now and then, I would go back into the shop, sit down and listen to music for an hour or two. I never bought anything, cause I couldn't afford it, but the shop owner didn't seem to mind. He just kept feeding me new stuff. Almost 2 years ago, he got a pair of hd 650's and I fell in love. I rarely would try on another headphone. This was the one for me. Almost 4 years since my first visit, I walked into the audio shop yesterday and bought my first true headphones, the 650 senns. The shop keeper said it was about time. I agree.

I haven't listend to them yet (pure torture!) because i'm waiting for my nuforce icon hdp to come i. But when I do, i'll be glad to officially join the head-fi community.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #5,092 of 46,514

Quote:
Try and get some experience with tube amps....this generalization is just silly.
rolleyes.gif
Tube amps cans sound vastly different based on design (OTL vs Transformer coupled), tubes used, transformer design, circuitry, etc...

On the subject of tube amps, I see Woo Audio offers both transformer coupled and output transformer less tube amps.  Is there any benefit to having or not having output transformers in tube amps?

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #5,093 of 46,514
Welcome to Head-Fi CanadianBacon! I'd suggest you don't deprive yourself any longer and start listening to your HD650. A better source and amp will benefit it greatly, but the magic that Sennheiser have tapped into will still be evident direct from your pc/laptop/ipod.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5,094 of 46,514

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi CanadianBacon! I'd suggest you don't deprive yourself any longer and start listening to your HD650. A better source and amp will benefit it greatly, but the magic that Sennheiser have tapped into will still be evident direct from your pc/laptop/ipod.

Agreed, get listening!  If you need an excuse, you're burning them in in preparation for your Icon.

Congrats. . .it must be a big day for you.  I'm happy for you.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #5,095 of 46,514
You're going to love them on the Icon...

I don't know if you heard it in shop or not, but it is a performer.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #5,096 of 46,514
Yep. You'll love them. When I first tried them, it was through my PA2V2, which sounded quite good actually!

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #5,100 of 46,514

Quote:
Love my HD650's ----light years ahead of the Denon 7000's

I wouldn't say light years. The D7000 is a very nice headphone and is a very good competitor to the HD650, in better ways as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back