Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #4,652 of 46,514
Well, it's only been a few days but I think Mr Stinky and I are going to part ways.
I saw the HD 600 on Amazon and I've decided I need to order it.

I think the HD 600 is going to be my true calling.
HD 650 is OK sound-wise, but I think I am seeking more (for less).
*sniff*

Such a short relationship...

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #4,654 of 46,514

Quote:
The box made me laugh.

Well, the HD 600's are more neutral so you should be happy. 

Yeah, but are they more neutral in smell. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #4,655 of 46,514
My HD650 box had a new car smell. I loved it.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #4,656 of 46,514

Quote:

Why not just return them, or perhaps an exchange for a HD 600?  Not everyone is going to like the HD 650.

At is modest price, the HD 600/HD 650 are low mid-range.  If they arrive safe and sound the packaging did its job.  I don't listen to the box.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there.  The HD600 & HD650 were the flagships of Sennheiser's line for quite sometime.  Pair either one with a quality amp and source, they most certainly will not sound low to mid-fi.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #4,657 of 46,514

Quote:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there.  The HD600 & HD650 were the flagships of Sennheiser's line for quite sometime.  Pair either one with a quality amp and source, they most certainly will not sound low to mid-fi.

They are both exceedingly nice headphones.  Buying them new now, however, they are not flagships and are modestly priced.  Amazon just sold them for under $300 - hardly a premium price for which I expect elegant packaging.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4,658 of 46,514
I agree Digital-Pride.

So for all those years before the new high priced models came out everyone was listening to low mid-fi headphones and didn't realize it?  When the HD900 comes out the 600 and 650 will be low-fi and the 800 mid-fi.  What would that make the 598... trash?  Doesn't make sense.  When a new HDTV is released it doesn't make older HDTV's standard-def.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #4,659 of 46,514
Can anybody comment on the hd650 paired with the headroom desktop amp? I just made my order this morning after getting rid of my fiio set, and I'm hoping at the least that I don't get any noticeable background feedback.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #4,660 of 46,514
Hi, new HD650 owner here. Got them through Amazon for $335.00 a week or two ago. I had added them to my shopping cart a while ago and noticed the price was fluctuating every time I logged in. On the day I was ready to order the price had risen to well over $400.00. So I said to myself, (since nobody else was there to hear me), that I wouldn't buy them unless they dropped to or below the price they were originally when I put them in the cart (around $355.00). I checked back throughout the day and the price was a little lower each time. Finally late that night it dropped all the way down to $335.00 so I hit the purchase button.

I currently have an E-MU 0404usb amp/DAC and although I am shopping around to upgrade both the DAC and the amp, I thought I could at least try out the HD650s on it. I really expected it to sound terrible and under-amped based on the usual quotes here at head-fi about needing a powerful amp, and preferably a tube amp for the HD650s. Admittedly though there have been a few professional reviews of the E-MU 0404usb by studio equipment reviewers who claimed it specifically did work well with their HD650s.

So to make a long story short, they sound remarkably great out of the E-MU (way better than all of my other headphones). I noticed some sibilance for the first few hours but that cleared up fairly quickly. The HD650s have a reputation for being somewhat dark sounding I believe, while the E-MU 0404usb is certainly on the bright sounding side. So, the combination seems to be excellent. I still plan on getting a new amp and DAC for the HD650 as well as other reasons, but can not actually find anything not to like about the sound as is with the E-MU/HD650 combination. I find it is not dark sounding or rolled-off in the highs at all, while the bass has a nice deep and solid feel to it. With all of my other headphones and speakers I have to tame the bright sound of the E-MU by dropping the high frequencies from 3K and up, and then add some bass-boost; but with the HD650 I don't need no stinkin' EQ.

Quote:
I actually think the 650 had the best packaging of any headphones I've bought so far.  Box arrived in perfect condition, not a single dent, smudge or scratch.  No weird smell either, I've had the box open beside me for the past week and lay the 650 back in the box when I'm done listening.  Just my experience.

Same here as for the packaging. I also purchased the $20.00 Sennheiser clamp-on headphone hanger and it works very well, if a tad-bit flimsy on the clamping due to being made of plastic rather than metal.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4,661 of 46,514
Can anybody comment on the hd650 paired with the headroom desktop amp? I just made my order this morning after getting rid of my fiio set, and I'm hoping at the least that I don't get any noticeable background feedback.

I had this combination, it worked very well. I thought it sounded great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4,662 of 46,514

Quote:
I agree Digital-Pride.

So for all those years before the new high priced models came out everyone was listening to low mid-fi headphones and didn't realize it?  When the HD900 comes out the 600 and 650 will be low-fi and the 800 mid-fi.  What would that make the 598... trash?  Doesn't make sense.  When a new HDTV is released it doesn't make older HDTV's standard-def.

Lol!  So true.  By the way, I'm liking your avatar quite a bit!  It's got a nice touch of grace and elegance, just like the HD650.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4,664 of 46,514

Quote:
I agree Digital-Pride.

My HD650 compared to my HD595s are definitely higher definition, but only slightly more higher definition, not even in to the extent of Standard Definition TV to High Definition TV (720), more like from VCR to DVD quality.  Comparing the HF2s to the HD650 seem like going from SD to HD (720p).  The current crop of flagships, LCD2, HD800 and T1 is a straight leap to True HD (1080P).

Yes when the HD650 was released, at that time people had no idea that the TVs they were watching was "standard definition", that was all there was at that time.

Actually going back to my HD595s feels like I am going back to black and white telly.  It made sense to spend big money on big rigs when the HD650 was the flagship, but that investment with big rigs should now be targeted at better headphones in this climate.  You do pay for what you get, the headphone is the number one thing that will change sound quality.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #4,665 of 46,514
If HD 650 : 480p and $1000 headphones : 1080p then I have to try $1000 headphones someday. >_<

I'm rather skeptical though. Calling the HD 650's "mid-fi" seems ridiculous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back