Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4,201 of 46,514

Quote:
^beware  - the T1 can get too bright...

I would hardly call the T1's bright. I consider them on the "slightly warm side of neutral". Feed them (or power them) with brightness, they will show you what you're giving them...unlike some headphones...cough cough that will turn even the brightest source/music into a dark image. But coming from the HD650s...almost anything can sound bright I guess.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4,202 of 46,514
I've had these cans since April 2009 - love them love them love them.  They don't get upset by cranked up volume and just deliver a consistent clean deep sound.
I've also never cleaned out the pads much, I've taken them off but I just hate doing that - the pads seem so fragile.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #4,203 of 46,514
I did once and it took me 20-30min of fiddling to get them secured correctly :p. I also started prying out the metal grill of my 650s to inspect the driver when it just pops off from the plastic surrounding. I was prying out the actual metal part around the edge, if you know what I mean. Stupid me.

Quote:
I've had these cans since April 2009 - love them love them love them.  They don't get upset by cranked up volume and just deliver a consistent clean deep sound.
I've also never cleaned out the pads much, I've taken them off but I just hate doing that - the pads seem so fragile.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #4,204 of 46,514
Uh oh, I think mine are broken.

Just now I realized the right side has a buzzing sound that accompanies bass sounds (it seems to be clearly audible from 20-80 HZ). I've also confirmed that it's not the source file, and not my dac/amp. The buzzing seems to be getting more obvious over time, and as far as I can tell there is nothing inside the thing that shouldn't be (but I didn't try taking it apart).

I guess I'll have to send them back for warranty :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #4,205 of 46,514

Quote:
Uh oh, I think mine are broken.

Just now I realized the right side has a buzzing sound that accompanies bass sounds (it seems to be clearly audible from 20-80 HZ). I've also confirmed that it's not the source file, and not my dac/amp. The buzzing seems to be getting more obvious over time, and as far as I can tell there is nothing inside the thing that shouldn't be (but I didn't try taking it apart).

I guess I'll have to send them back for warranty :frowning2:

No need to panic. This is usually indicative of a small hair stuck in the driver or the foam covering the driver. Clean it out carefully (not with a vacuum or anything harsh) and it will be fine.

This is a common issue with many headphones. Just remember, high-end headphones very rarely fail. I know you said you ruled out the source/amp, but I would re-check those, just in case.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #4,206 of 46,514
I tried cleaning out any hairs I saw, but there was certainly no reduction to the buzzing. I only cleaned the exterior foam (and I doubt a hair on the exterior would make a difference to the sound?), I didn't take it apart - do I need to do anything else?

Taking the cable from the left ear and plugging it into the right ear, back and forth, shows that an identical signal produces buzzing on the right ear when there is none on the left. Therefore, it's definitely not anything in the chain before the headphones.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4,207 of 46,514

Quote:
I tried cleaning out any hairs I saw, but there was certainly no reduction to the buzzing. I only cleaned the exterior foam (and I doubt a hair on the exterior would make a difference to the sound?), I didn't take it apart - do I need to do anything else?

Take the pad off and clean the insides and the pad/foam covering thoroughly.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #4,208 of 46,514
Are there instructions somewhere on taking off the ear pads, etc.? They seem firmly attached and I don't want to aimlessly start tugging on things.

P.S. Thanks for the info - if I can fix this as simply as this, that will definitely be less hassle.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #4,211 of 46,514
Thanks for the help!

I was a little nervous pulling on it but I carefully popped it off, and saw the problem. Hair was sticking out the back of the foam, not visible externally, and probably touching the driver diaphragm when assembled. After cleaning the foam, the worst part was putting it back on, because I didn't want to break it by pushing too hard or on the wrong area (obviously pressure on the diaphragm would be... very bad). After fussing with the alignment of the foam I pushed my whole hand to secure the pad.

Anyway... it's fixed!! :D. Tested 10 through 80 hz, all crystal clear again :)

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #4,214 of 46,514

Quote:
[size=medium]

[/size]

Perfect, very helpful. That should make it even easier when I clean it in the future. Thanks again!

X2 Big time.  I bookmarked your video, as it'll be a maintenance reference for me when I eventually upgrade to the HD600 series.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4,215 of 46,514
thanks for the "pads" video, will be needing it when i clean my HD650 and HD600 in the future =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back