Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2,791 of 46,514
Call JR.com and ask if they have any sales. They originally gave me a price of around $370 I think. I hesitated for a bit and before I could say anything they dropped it to $329! That's lower than the HD-600! Mine turned out to be defective though. Not their fault and it was 100% new. Just a TINY half inch paint smudge. I returned it because of this and not loving it that much. It's too bad I can't find a HD-600 anywhere online for under $340. I don't use Ebay though and JR doesn't carry the HD-600.

No, I don't work for JR, but with a little luck, they might let them go for $329 if you ask nicely. Obviously you can't get that price on their website.

I also got the HD-598 from them for $170.

If anyone knows a good place to buy an HD-600 online for new, please let me know. I'll probably just have to go with Amazon. Paying $341 for an HD-600 after getting the HD-650 for $329 just plain stinks!

Quote:
The HD650 is only $380 now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones-Audiophile-Head-Phones-/150574331374?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item230eedf5ee

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,793 of 46,514
I am toying with the idea of picking up an Audio-GD C-2 SA for use mainly with my HD650s.  There isn't too much in the forums about this amp, but a fair amount of praise for other Audio-GD amps.  Anyone have or heard the pairing that could comment.  Alternatively, anyone know why that would or wouldn't be a good choice - I don't know too much about amps/watts/voltage/impedance etc.

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,794 of 46,514
Hi Guys.  Just wondering if any of you have tried the leather/foam strap for the HD 650's that is being sold on Ebay for 28.50 + 1.95 shipping?  Sounds a little pricey but looks like good protection for the finish on the headband.  If anyone has tried it please let me know what you think as I am thinking about ordering one.  Thanks and hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,795 of 46,514
Man, y'all are too rich for my blood. 
smile_phones.gif

I got my HD650 used, box and everything included for $249, and I got the HD600's for $229, like new condition, but no box or anything.  Both from Amazon's Marketplace.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,796 of 46,514

Quote:
Hi Guys.  Just wondering if any of you have tried the leather/foam strap for the HD 650's that is being sold on Ebay for 28.50 + 1.95 shipping?  Sounds a little pricey but looks like good protection for the finish on the headband.  If anyone has tried it please let me know what you think as I am thinking about ordering one.  Thanks and hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

Yes and yes. Yes I have one on my 650 and yes, you should order one immediately. Fits like a glove, feels more comfortable, doesn't compress like the Sennheiser foam pads and hides any paint chips that may be appearing on the headband. Solves all the problems you've ever had in your whole life, and all for just $30.  
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,797 of 46,514

Quote:
Man, y'all are too rich for my blood. 
smile_phones.gif

I got my HD650 used, box and everything included for $249, and I got the HD600's for $229, like new condition, but no box or anything.  Both from Amazon's Marketplace.

You're very lucky you live in a country Amazon will ship to. Pretty much anything outside books and CDs is restricted to the US.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2,798 of 46,514
Seriously ever since I got the HD650 and the SM3, Head-Fi has become pretty boring. There's nothing else in the market I need!

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,799 of 46,514
I really wish there were a way for me to try out this supposedly amazing headphone. I actually went to Germany for vacation recently, and none of the stores had them! I asked a worker at one store, and he said they were sold out. I think when I get back from deployment, I'll buy the 650's with the Nuforce Icon HD. It just seems to be a great combo. Hopefully, I'll never have the urge to upgrade after that.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,800 of 46,514
Really liking the resolve and transparency of the DHC Nucleotide OCC copper cable in my setup. It's a more neutral and balanced presentation compared to the bass heavy upocc copper I paired with the warmer Moon hdam. Almost a complete U-turn to what I thought was my preferred signature.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,801 of 46,514
Interesting, i was able to get it lowered to $335.00 (plus $25.96 in taxes since i am in NY), and also noticed some of the grey paint was missing causing it to expose some black marks on the left side of the frame. Not sure if it just a issue of quality control or maybe they have been already previously handled?

Would that explain why they are letting them go for so low so easily, or am i just being paranoid?

Well, i rang JR today and the lady rep offered to exchange it for another unit, or offer me a $20-25 credit plus a $25 gift card and kept it as it is, i decided to just keep them and take the credit + GC. They seem to to sound fine to me.

Do you all think i did the right thing by keeping them? Is there any way to check to see if they are really new?

Thanks everyone.

Call JR.com and ask if they have any sales. They originally gave me a price of around $370 I think. I hesitated for a bit and before I could say anything they dropped it to $329! That's lower than the HD-600! Mine turned out to be defective though. Not their fault and it was 100% new. Just a TINY half inch paint smudge. I returned it because of this and not loving it that much. It's too bad I can't find a HD-600 anywhere online for under $340. I don't use Ebay though and JR doesn't carry the HD-600.

No, I don't work for JR, but with a little luck, they might let them go for $329 if you ask nicely. Obviously you can't get that price on their website.

I also got the HD-598 from them for $170.

If anyone knows a good place to buy an HD-600 online for new, please let me know. I'll probably just have to go with Amazon. Paying $341 for an HD-600 after getting the HD-650 for $329 just plain stinks!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,802 of 46,514

Quote:
Interesting, i was able to get it lowered to $335.00 (plus $25.96 in taxes since i am in NY), and also noticed some of the grey paint was missing causing it to expose some black marks on the left side of the frame. Not sure if it just a issue of quality control or maybe they have been already previously handled?

Would that explain why they are letting them go for so low so easily, or am i just being paranoid?

Well, i rang JR today and the lady rep offered to exchange it for another unit, or offer me a $20-25 credit plus a $25 gift card if i just kept it as it is, i decided to just keep them and take the credit + GC. They seem to to sound fine to me.

Do you all think i did the right thing by keeping them? Is there any way to check to see if they are really new?  

That strikes me as more an issue of quality control as I don't see how handling can smudge dry paint (paint flaking is a separate problem). What's more likely is that there are 'seconds' floating around that are being sold off cheaply, which is great for poor people like us. I can put up with a small cosmetic defect if it means getting HD650 sound cheap.

Incidentally the cheapest online retail price here in Oz is $400 + $32 shipping--and that's the cheapest by about $80!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2,803 of 46,514

Quote:
I really wish there were a way for me to try out this supposedly amazing headphone.

Actually it isn't amazing, and that's the best thing about it. If you're expecting a headphone that blows your socks off, prepare to be disappointed. The 650 is about subtle insinuation, about low listener fatigue, smooth highs and an overall satisfying sense of creamy smoothness. If you want amazing and stupendous you'd best buy...well, just about any other brand, and settle back to enjoy(?) having your ears syringed with laser-like highs and  subwoofer lows. That's amazing! The 650....that's just for enjoying music for long periods with no apparent emphasis on any one part of the frequency band, and nothing to excite you but the music itself. Quite unamazing really.

wink.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2,804 of 46,514

Quote:

Actually it isn't amazing, and that's the best thing about it. If you're expecting a headphone that blows your socks off, prepare to be disappointed. The 650 is about subtle insinuation, about low listener fatigue, smooth highs and an overall satisfying sense of creamy smoothness. If you want amazing and stupendous you'd best buy...well, just about any other brand, and settle back to enjoy(?) having your ears syringed with laser-like highs and  subwoofer lows. That's amazing! The 650....that's just for enjoying music for long periods with no apparent emphasis on any one part of the frequency band, and nothing to excite you but the music itself. Quite unamazing really.

wink.gif

Well honestly I'm impressed by anything with good naturality and smoothness and the HD650 is the king of that.
Also, who isn't blown away by the amazing mids and ultra-realistic soundstage on these cans? These cans are the closest you'll ever get to a live concert!

I will say that I did EQ the bass up a bit for my tastes. It's just perfect now. :p

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,805 of 46,514

Quote:

wink.gif

Lol. Don't scare him off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back