Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2,311 of 46,554

Quote:
Okay guys thanks for the impressions.

Is there actually a phone that is amazing-oh-awesome with electric guitars?
I had K701, which actually sucks with it, DT880 (but I miss the punch in the bass here, and the treble is a bit too loud) and now I'll try HD650..

seems like every phone is good at jazz/classical/acoustic but sucks at rock :frowning2:
Always thought about a Grado, but prices are craaaazy in EU

greez

A phone that is amazing-oh-awesome with electric guitars is the HD800, it does an amazing job of reproducing different sounds of electric guitar awesomely well (for example the guitar in Satriani's Crushing Day sounds great and gives it the completely characteristic sound it deserves). One of my favorite traits of the 800 actually.

But I think for less stratospheric prices the HD600 is another pretty nice option, and for electric guitars I like it better than HD650 (and also than K701 and DT880), the 600 are slightly on the brighter side of neutral, but give a very nice rendition to electric guitars and are less picky of amping than their bigger brothers. Another can that does them pretty nicely is the DT48, but that headphone is completely different and for many people it might not be that enjoyable (it is a very different headphone than most models in the market today).

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2,312 of 46,554
I'll have to try the HD600 out this summer when I'm making some money, I've never really considered it but I suppose that it must sound pretty great. Baby HD800, you say?

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2,313 of 46,554

Quote:
I'll have to try the HD600 out this summer when I'm making some money, I've never really considered it but I suppose that it must sound pretty great. Baby HD800, you say?

Different. Some people prefer the 600 or 650 over the 800. Seems to be a matter of style preference. Not necessarily more $$$ equals better performance, depending on your tastes.

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2,315 of 46,554
So I feel it's time to get another pair of headphones. Last time I did a major purchase was back in early 09 when I got my UE-11's and a Pico to go along with it. Actually that was my first serious audiophile purchase. Anyways, I want to get some full sized headphones now for home listening. I don't want to take a step down in audio quality from the UE-11's. Are the 650's comparable? I know it is hard to compare IEM's to full sized headphones. I would purchase a Nuforce Icon HDP with the 650's. Would that be a comparable to my UE-11/Pico setup? I'm not looking to spend a huge amount on a desktop amp...yet. Seems like the Icon HDP would suit my needs in the interim (maybe a year or so). By the way, I am a bass nut. Not outrageous and overwhelming bass but tight and punchy. With an emphasis on punchy. I like oomph from my music. I like headphones where I can almost feel the bass. UE-11's have it, do the 650's?

I have both items in my Amazon cart ready to purchase. I just would like to double check with fellow Head-Fi'ers before I spend $900+.

Edit:
Yes, I saw the advice thread, after I posted this.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #2,316 of 46,554
@funkymonkcp

I had a bit of an adjustment period coming to full-size cans after high-end universal IEMs.  It's just not the same type of sound, IEMs are extremely forward & you don't get that same in-your-head IEM sound with full-size cans.  All that said though, after that adjustment period, there's no going back to IEMs for me now.  The HD650s sound like you, good, powerful bass that only get's better with burn-in and scales well.  Don't let the descriptions of them being dark fool you, there's plenty of detail at the top-end.  As for the HDP - I hope you've read the impressions and are aware that it's on the bright side of neutral, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for (I haven't heard it this is just what I've read)  Most people appreciate that the HDP draws the HD650s out of the 'darkness' however, that doesn't seem like what you're looking for.  I'm using the AGD Fun which is neutral (or warmer depending on opa) for the most part, bass is excellent and extended.  There are plenty of standalone amps out there as well that may be worth considering.  If you're uncomfortable buying Audio GD products from China they have a reseller in the US.  If you're just using USB with the HDP you may want to consider the HD.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #2,317 of 46,554
@ sphinxvc - Any impressions of the Sun hdam and that other dual opa you were experimenting with? I'm getting drawn closer to the NFB10WM despite the Fun's great synergy with the HD650. I've got Earth installed at the moment and I'm being reminded of how impressively transparent the Fun sounds in this configuration. It's mind boggling to think it could get better with a balanced setup.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,318 of 46,554

Quote:
Please HD650ers with headphone amps.  WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND for the HD650 for a budget of $300.00 or less (not a penny more!)
I am currently torn between the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S or the Schiit Asgard.  I need a neutral amp that adds NO coloration.  Also, I have decided not to look into the Matrix m stage.

PLEASE HELP MEH

Sir, would you please tell me the reason of not looking into the Matrix M-Stage amplifier? Because I am considering that combo (M-Stage>HD650 i mean).

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2,319 of 46,554

@funkymonkcp

I had a bit of an adjustment period coming to full-size cans after high-end universal IEMs.  It's just not the same type of sound, IEMs are extremely forward & you don't get that same in-your-head IEM sound with full-size cans.  All that said though, after that adjustment period, there's no going back to IEMs for me now.  The HD650s sound like you, good, powerful bass that only get's better with burn-in and scales well.  Don't let the descriptions of them being dark fool you, there's plenty of detail at the top-end.  As for the HDP - I hope you've read the impressions and are aware that it's on the bright side of neutral, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for (I haven't heard it this is just what I've read)  Most people appreciate that the HDP draws the HD650s out of the 'darkness' however, that doesn't seem like what you're looking for.  I'm using the AGD Fun which is neutral (or warmer depending on opa) for the most part, bass is excellent and extended.  There are plenty of standalone amps out there as well that may be worth considering.  If you're uncomfortable buying Audio GD products from China they have a reseller in the US.  If you're just using USB with the HDP you may want to consider the HD.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I figured there might be some adjustment time. I find IEM's to be very exciting and enveloping. Not sure what these will sound like. As far as the amp goes, I chose that one because it has a lot of input and output options and a number of people said the 650s go really well with them. I don't mind high end sparkle as long as the bass is there too.  

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,320 of 46,554
Quote:
@ sphinxvc - Any impressions of the Sun hdam and that other dual opa you were experimenting with? I'm getting drawn closer to the NFB10WM despite the Fun's great synergy with the HD650. I've got Earth installed at the moment and I'm being reminded of how impressively transparent the Fun sounds in this configuration. It's mind boggling to think it could get better with a balanced setup.

I haven't received the ADA4627 in the mail yet but I will post initial impressions once I do.

Here are my initial impressions of the Sun w/HD650:  Has a more defined soundstage than the Earth & Moon.  Fills that soundstage completely (fuller), no part of it is wasted.  Every microdetail in the backgrounds of songs is brought forward.  Yes, the Earth is known as the most detailed opa but it is still natural in it's presentation: microdetails meant to be in the background stay in the background.  With the Sun all these microdetails are brought to the front, and I suspect this is why it's called dynamic.  Lows have impact until the microdetails start kicking in at which point they have no more impact than midrange/high microdetails.  The vocals, unless isolated, take a backseat.  The Moon is still king of vocals.  Overall it isn't the most realistic of the opas but a good one to have around.  It's musical & it slightly Grado-fies the HD650s.  And ambient music sounds better.

Edit 5 hours later:  This kind of freaky...I was listening to some ambient music I know pretty well (Machinarium OST) and I started hearing a crackling sound coming from somewhere behind my left shoulder.  I took off the phones & looked around: silence.  Microphonics?  Something wrong with my driver?  I replay the track and at the same time there it is again; just a micro-detail I'd never heard before using an area of the soundstage I'd never heard anything in before.  NFB10 beckons.

L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,321 of 46,554
This "veil" is nothing more than neutrality. Have you even gone into a movie theater and noticed that the sound is more "dead" in there?,,well its the same inside the HD650's ..as the low feq inside the cans are not bouncing and amplifying each other because of the sound absorption. I find these cans very neutral indeed. And yes a good amp is needed to get the best possible sound.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,322 of 46,554
I feel much of the "veil" talk is caused by the over-brightness of most other phones. Any headphone listener hearing acoustic (unamplified) instruments for the first time will be initially surprised at how "dull" they sound. "Where's the extreme treble?--where's the sparkle?" It isn't there in real life, especially from a reasonable distance. The fact is, most headphones are much brighter than real life and speakers. I've owned all the usual suspects--AT AD700/900, Denon D2000, Beyer DT880, Grado SR80 etc--and all have been much brighter than what I hear in the concert hall and any speakers I've ever owned. The 650, however, is not, and so many find it "veiled".

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,323 of 46,554
"Edit 5 hours later:  This kind of freaky...I was listening to some ambient music I know pretty well (Machinarium OST) and I started hearing a crackling sound coming from somewhere behind my left shoulder.  I took off the phones & looked around: silence.  Microphonics?  Something wrong with my driver?  I replay the track and at the same time there it is again; just a micro-detail I'd never heard before using an area of the soundstage I'd never heard anything in before.  NFB10 beckons.

L3000.gif
"

I've had experiences like this as well. While the HD 650's soundstage isn't usually that huge it does have the ability to throw the music at a distance with the right recording, pretty amazing!

"I feel much of the "veil" talk is caused by the over-brightness of most other phones. Any headphone listener hearing acoustic (unamplified) instruments for the first time will be initially surprised at how "dull" they sound. "Where's the extreme treble?--where's the sparkle?" It isn't there in real life, especially from a reasonable distance. The fact is, most headphones are much brighter than real life and speakers. I've owned all the usual suspects--AT AD700/900, Denon D2000, Beyer DT880, Grado SR80 etc--and all have been much brighter than what I hear in the concert hall and any speakers I've ever owned. The 650, however, is not, and so many find it "veiled"."

Are the HD 650's still somewhat brighter than speakers you have tried though? They are much brighter than my dad's old speakers, they are nice and dark.

I know this is the appreciation thread but I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the HD 650's. They aren't boring and they are pretty amazing in many respects, but they are too bright for me and I think I might like something more musical. . .
If headphones are usually brighter than the HD 650's I have no idea where to turn though. . .

Yeah I know. . . I'm crazy. :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,324 of 46,554

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't received the ADA4627 in the mail yet but I will post initial impressions once I do.

Here are my initial impressions of the Sun w/HD650:  Has a more defined soundstage than the Earth & Moon.  Fills that soundstage completely (fuller), no part of it is wasted.  Every microdetail in the backgrounds of songs is brought forward.  Yes, the Earth is known as the most detailed opa but it is still natural in it's presentation: microdetails meant to be in the background stay in the background.  With the Sun all these microdetails are brought to the front, and I suspect this is why it's called dynamic.  Lows have impact until the microdetails start kicking in at which point they have no more impact than midrange/high microdetails.  The vocals, unless isolated, take a backseat.  The Moon is still king of vocals.  Overall it isn't the most realistic of the opas but a good one to have around.  It's musical & it slightly Grado-fies the HD650s.  And ambient music sounds better.

Edit 5 hours later:  This kind of freaky...I was listening to some ambient music I know pretty well (Machinarium OST) and I started hearing a crackling sound coming from somewhere behind my left shoulder.  I took off the phones & looked around: silence.  Microphonics?  Something wrong with my driver?  I replay the track and at the same time there it is again; just a micro-detail I'd never heard before using an area of the soundstage I'd never heard anything in before.  NFB10 beckons.

L3000.gif

Really informative impressions sphinxvc. Everything I've read about the Sun hdam corresponds with what you've written and it therefore holds no lasting appeal other than perhaps the forward and dynamic presentation it renders. However, I find Moon does this perfectly for me and from all accounts Sun takes it too far.

I've just spent the weekend with the Earth hdam installed and I've just rediscovered why those that have heard it think so highly of it, and why it made me dismiss Moon initially. The resolution is astounding when this thing is coupled with the WM8741's transparency, the Fun's discrete and neutral amp section, and the HD650's technical capabilities. It's a perfect storm captured in a budget setup and it's a shame it's largely overlooked here, particularly when paired with a headphone as revealing as the HD650. I initially moved away from Earth because some recordings were not rendered in a flattering manner through the HD650, but I now find it quite telling that all those are either poor recordings in the first place and/or compressed files rather than lossless.

It's frustrating to constantly attempt to address the arguments of a slow and veiled presentation, the merits of a good amp and dac, and the pitfalls of dimishing returns when an answer to all those arguments exists in the Audio-GD Fun. I'm sure there are other instances where similar synergy can be found, but amidst all the noise and bickering, the thing that strikes me about it is that a lot of Head-Fiers are lazy in the pursuit of great audio. Many are content to hide behind preconceived notions and are too stubborn to venture forth. There are many myths perpetuated as a result, but I think the biggest one is that Head-Fi is a great resource and filled with members that know what they're talking about.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #2,325 of 46,554
I started to like the HD650 more after I did the APureSound Mod last year. It lifted the veil and brought out the details and the mids were brought forward too.
http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

Now on the Concerto they plays with power and authority in every way. The soundstage is also very real.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back