Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,876 of 46,520
Just want to add my bit of love for the HD650's.

Sporting my pair now, through a Little Dot Mk III with stock tubes.

I've never heard anything like it before, but like others have said, they're a bitch for upgrades.

All I keep thinking about now is which DAC to buy, which portable headphone amp to buy, when I can justify spending money on upgrading perfectly sufficient stock headphone cables, when to buy more tubes for the Little Dot, when to buy a new amp (and I've only had this one a few weeks!).

Ahh yeah, truly, they're wonderful headphones though. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,877 of 46,520
L3000.gif

glad you are enjoying them. i cant stop listening to mine. the tv hasn't been on in days. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #1,878 of 46,520

Quote:
i have a brand new pair and i don't find them to he harsh sibilant or unbalanced up top. it sounds smooth to me. i actually have the brightness switch on my HeadRoom amp set to "filter 1" to add some extra brightness, and to balance out HeadRoom's crossfeed.

X1  
I would call the HD650 Solid from top to bottom.   I can't say that about any of my other cans.  I sort of wish I would have bought them first, I could have saved a lot of money.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #1,880 of 46,520
I used to consider the HD650 a little boring. I have improved the source and amping as time has gone on to more of my liking and the 650's have followed right along, sounding better and better. I like them balanced, which really brings them to life but on a good amp, they really perform as well. I think that much of the maligned aspects of the 650's, was the lack of really high quality amplification, which has taken time to mature. While the bass can sound a little slow, I don't find that to be the case on a solid performing amp. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,881 of 46,520
just ripped Metallica's Black Album in Flac and OMG!! sounds so killer on the HD650. the attack on the drums is just sick.

also this is my first time using Flac. it sure sounds lossless to me.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,882 of 46,520
My new 650's (only a couple of weeks old but just about burned in now) sound really great to me.  Fortunately, I don't detect any problems with the highs.  I keep my system totally flat (no eq).  To me the sound is lush, warm, very smooth, wonderfully deep bass, but balanced, natural, clear and detailed across the frequency spectrum (assuming a good quality recording and a lossless rip).  I'm very happy and also haven't been watching much video since my 650's arrived, (although movies sound pretty great through them too). 

But perhaps, I'm not critical enough.  Maybe my opinion will change over time after I get more accustomed to this level of quality.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,883 of 46,520
I am planning on buying these headphones, but I want your opinion on how they sound with my music. My preferences are mainly Alternative and Rock, with a bit of Classical and random Soundtracks thrown in. How would these headphones sound with Muse specifically?

I need another opinion before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,886 of 46,520
Quote:
I used to consider the HD650 a little boring. I have improved the source and amping as time has gone on to more of my liking and the 650's have followed right along, sounding better and better. I like them balanced, which really brings them to life but on a good amp, they really perform as well. I think that much of the maligned aspects of the 650's, was the lack of really high quality amplification, which has taken time to mature. While the bass can sound a little slow, I don't find that to be the case on a solid performing amp. 

So very true jamato8, although I never try them balanced, but with a solid amp, the bass's performing so well and fast.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #1,887 of 46,520
L3000.gif
i'm loving these things!!

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #1,888 of 46,520

Quote:

That's true: the HD650 scale very well, and has an almost unique sound signature.
I've tried with a nice balanced rig (Audio-GD Roc + Ref.5) but I prefer them with tubes and a NOS dac. When driven out of a balanced amplifier they loose some of the magic, they're probably more refined, with a wider and less organic soundstage.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,890 of 46,520
I just got my pair today, I've been using ultrasone hfi-780s for a while, only source right now is my musiland monitor 02 which I don't think is sufficient enough for the 650s because my 780s sound louder/better. The only amp I have is my portable Alo rx which again the 780s sound louder/better, with the rx i have all the volumes up on the 650s and its not phazing it so I'm gonna have to invest in an amp it seems like

How many hours of burn in to these cans need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back