Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #1,636 of 46,514
FINALLY got my HD650!

I love the way they look and feel, and tbh I think they sound great straight out of the box.

A bit heavy on the clamping, but it's as if they're hugging my head as hard as they can because they love me.
dt880smile.png

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #1,637 of 46,514

Quote:
FINALLY got my HD650!

I love the way they look and feel, and tbh I think they sound great straight out of the box.

A bit heavy on the clamping, but it's as if they're hugging my head as hard as they can because they love me.
dt880smile.png

This burn-in thing is so pervasive that we feel guilty saying that a pair of cans sound great out of the box.
smily_headphones1.gif
 All the cans that I love sounded just great straight out of the box.  Every one.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #1,638 of 46,514

Quote:
dt880smile.png

Just don't get too handsy with them until your third date. Then you can expect your first aurgasm. Otherwise, tell them that a pair of slutty Beyers is just a phone call away.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #1,639 of 46,514
Those beyers are so slutty!

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #1,641 of 46,514

Quote:
dt880smile.png

To adjust clamping:
Extend the steal strips on each side of the head-band to the maximum. Bend the steal strips a little. Push them into the headband again. 

Voila! No more clamping - instant fix!

(PS If you adjust too much and they get loose, you can always bend it back.)

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,643 of 46,514

Quote:
To adjust clamping:
Extend the steal strips on each side of the head-band to the maximum. Bend the steal strips a little. Push them into the headband again. 

Voila! No more clamping - instant fix!

(PS If you adjust too much and they get loose, you can always bend it back.)

This has been the standard way of safely stretching the HD6x0 headband for years. Just don't go He-man on it. I've done it and it works wonders and saves the earpads from getting squashed over time. My pair looks brand new even after 1.5 years.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,644 of 46,514

Quote:
This has been the standard way of safely stretching the HD6x0 headband for years. Just don't go He-man on it. I've done it and it works wonders and saves the earpads from getting squashed over time. My pair looks brand new even after 1.5 years.

Excellent solution.  I just tried it and it works a treat!  

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #1,647 of 46,514
What prompted that comment Beeman?

It was a play on words.  Please note the emoticon under the comment.

In American culture, people with big egos are joked about not being able to make it through the door for having a big head (big ego) and I applied this to the headphone's clamping action.  As all here know, many here are quick to float their big egos.  Tain't no thang.  It wasn't a slight directed at anybody.

Heck, I have a big ego and can get flappy at times also.  Nobody who knows me is going accuse me of having either a small head or ego.  So the comment would apply to me as well.  If you find the comment offensive, I'll be happy to remove it.  Hopefully you'll see the comment in the context of being a joke and nothing more than a play on cultural words.

ph34r.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,648 of 46,514

Quote:
What prompted that comment Beeman?

It was a play on words.  Please note the emoticon under the comment.

In American culture, people with big egos are joked about not being able to make it through the door for having a big head (big ego) and I applied this to the headphone's clamping action.  As all here know, many here are quick to float their big egos.  Tain't no thang.  It wasn't a slight directed at anybody.

Heck, I have a big ego and can get flappy at times also.  Nobody who knows me is going accuse me of having either a small head or ego.  So the comment would apply to me as well.  If you find the comment offensive, I'll be happy to remove it.  Hopefully you'll see the comment in the context of being a joke and nothing more than a play on cultural words.

ph34r.gif

Not at all offensive Beeman.  I was just genuinely wondering what prompted it since I looked a few pages back and didn't see any comments from you.  This one was just floating there, all in it's lonesome, with no context that I could see to explain it.  Anyhow, now that you explain, I now see what you mean.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,649 of 46,514
Quote:

Yes with the SS BCL....I can detect traces of graininess not just in the treble although more perceivable at the treble.  This "edginess" "graininess" extends throught the upper midrange and lessens as the the frequency goes lower.  My amp is not the cause...because it's clearly not there with any of my orthodynamics - or the D7000.  A good tube amp will eradicate this effect.  I don't think the full potential of the HD650s can be realised by solid state - IMO.

Ah, ok, good that you tell me this, so I can ruled out BCL, save the money for a good DAC for HD650.  Thinking of MiniMax DAC, know about this?

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #1,650 of 46,514

Quote:
Ah, ok, good that you tell me this, so I can ruled out BCL, save the money for a good DAC for HD650.  Thinking of MiniMax DAC, know about this?

I am currently using this DAC....it costs 60 bucks and I prefer it slightly more than my $3000 Bryston DAC....it definitely kills the Dacmagic, which I have also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back