Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,111 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an amazing product. The amp is definitely not under utilized. Before getting it I had spent 6 months with the D7000, then 3 months with the HD 800, the a month with the PS1000. I am very confident that for me the HD650 is the best at providing musical enjoyment. Also I paid $2000.00 for mine at Music Direct because it was a demo.

What took you from the HD800 back to the HD650? This is an important question for me since I'm thinking of either a recabled HD650 (I miss my HD650's) as opposed to the HD800's. Could it have been an amp incompatibility?

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,112 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What took you from the HD800 back to the HD650? This is an important question for me since I'm thinking of either a recabled HD650 (I miss my HD650's) as opposed to the HD800's. Could it have been an amp incompatibility?

To put it very simply I could not live with the lightweight bass and analytical overall sound. As many have said, the 800 is technically superior regarding frequency extension, resolution, etc. But for me it did not play music. I don't think a different amp could have made a large enough difference to change my mind. I was using the Lehmann and a Singlepower MPX Slam which are good match with Senns.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #1,113 of 46,514
Quote:

To put it very simply I could not live with the lightweight bass and analytical overall sound. As many have said, the 800 is technically superior regarding frequency extension, resolution, etc. But for me it did not play music. I don't think a different amp could have made a large enough difference to change my mind. I was using the Lehmann and a Singlepower MPX Slam which are good match with Senns.

Thanks. You're a very matured Head-fier.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be sure to watch out for your opinions.
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #1,114 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I auditioned HD800 today and listening fatigue occured within 15 minutes - technically superior - YES. Do I like it over my HD650 with Cayin tube am - NO

Also auditioned Omega2 with Valve amp - still prefer my 650.

I am starting to get the feeling that the 650 is not upgradeable - it is the best at what it does - give out the tube love.

I love the HD650 just as much as anyone in this thread...but your impressions are mainly because of insufficient exposure to the new cans to acclimate yourself to their sound signatures. The best (...or only) way to realize the true differences among audio equipment is to own it and spend a few weeks (preferably months) time with each.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,115 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the HD650 just as much as anyone in this thread...but your impressions are mainly because of insufficient exposure to the new cans to acclimate yourself to their sound signatures. The best (...or only) way to realize the true differences among audio equipment is to own it and spend a few weeks (preferably months) time with each.

Agreed, but the lightweight bass of the HD800 was shocking to me from the very first song and 3 months later I still could not accept it.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #1,116 of 46,514
Quote:

The HD650s never really moved me, yes they did everything well, just not really well. And the clamp! Ouch...I've got a pretty big melon and these things (no matter how much I re-adjusted them) would just hurt.

About 2 months ago, I used my (now sold) HD650s to listen to "It Might Get Loud" on Blu Ray and about 45 minutes into it, I just had to get them off for the obvious lack of comfort, but more importantly I was never moved (and I'm a H_U_G_E Jimmy Page fan as you can tell by my avatar) with them. They were good, don't get me wrong, just not to the level I wanted.

I have since re-watched the Blu Ray with my HD800s and I was completely and totally satisfied! I was absolutely amazed at its presentation, it was just as if I was in the movie studio with them.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #1,117 of 46,514
Quote:

Agreed, but the lightweight bass of the HD800 was shocking to me from the very first song and 3 months later I still could not accept it.

While I would like a little (and I said a little) more bass impact, the HD800's has much, much deeper and better controlled bass than any headphone I've ever heard (and this is coming from a former D7000 owner). The HD650s do have coloured bass IMO, in as so much that they portray more than the recording calls out for. I also found it muddy and not as deep next to the HD800.

The bass on the T1s does have more impact and emotion, but slightly lags with regards to bass quality.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #1,118 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650s never really moved me, yes they did everything well, just not really well. And the clamp! Ouch...I've got a pretty big melon and these things (no matter how much I re-adjusted them) would just hurt.

I like your overall opinion there. The perceived performance is right on. However, I'm willing to contest the interpretation in that doing something really well is emphasizing that aspect. So far, I've found that each can does well at some aspect of the sound by emphasizing it. The HD650's don't really emphasize anything, except if one would wish to call it's characteristic, gentle warmth, a point of emphasis. I personally don't.

Detail tends to be heard better when the sound is emphasized and the HD650's are quite laid back. If you're accustomed to cans that emphasize then you'll not hear details and find the HD650's boring and lacking in ability. I recall switching from a Grado to the HD650's. It's like walking from a bright, into a dark room. However, once your eyes adjust, the darker, or less bright if you will, ambience becomes adequate, relaxing, unfatiguing and special in its own way. The details show up but can and never will be in your face as it would be in a much brighter environment. The HD650's need time to come to you, only if you allow them or are interested.
wink.gif
I can well understand if you're not interested, since a brighter environment with more readily perceived clarity may well be a lot more, to your liking. I personally wish for a bit brighter experience than the HD650's. My ALO K702's are perfect with a lot of my music, but brighter than I'd want at times also. A recabled HD650, especially with the SXC cryo cable is very intriguing.

I see you were additionally distracted by that critical factor of comfort. I never had that issue with the HD650's and they remain one of the more comfortable cans I ever owned.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,119 of 46,514
Quote:

I see you were additionally distracted by that critical factor of comfort. I never had that issue with the HD650's and they remain one of the more comfortable cans I ever owned.

I like your analogy of the bright to dark room adjustment. I agree.
Also your above comment is a point to be heeded. Comfort is a huge factor in one's perception of the cans and their sound. If you are fortunate enough to forget that you're wearing headphones, you'll find the sound even more engaging because of the feeling of sound emanating from the air around you rather than the headphones. It really adds a whole new dimension to the music and makes the sound feel more holographic. All IME ofcourse...

The HD650s definitely exhibited this effect on my noggin.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #1,120 of 46,514
Quote:

I like your overall opinion there. The perceived performance is right on. However, I'm willing to contest the interpretation in that doing something really well is emphasizing that aspect. So far, I've found that each can does well at some aspect of the sound by emphasizing it. The HD650's don't really emphasize anything, except if one would wish to call it's characteristic, gentle warmth, a point of emphasis. I personally don't.

Detail tends to be heard better when the sound is emphasized and the HD650's are quite laid back. If you're accustomed to cans that emphasize then you'll not hear details and find the HD650's boring and lacking in ability. I recall switching from a Grado to the HD650's. It's like walking from a bright, into a dark room. However, once your eyes adjust, the darker, or less bright if you will, ambience becomes adequate, relaxing, unfatiguing and special in its own way. The details show up but can and never will be in your face as it would be in a much brighter environment. The HD650's need time to come to you, only if you allow them or are interested.
wink.gif
I can well understand if you're not interested, since a brighter environment with more readily perceived clarity may well be a lot more, to your liking. I personally wish for a bit brighter experience than the HD650's. My ALO K702's are perfect with a lot of my music, but brighter than I'd want at times also. A recabled HD650, especially with the SXC cryo cable is very intriguing.

Wow, perfect explanation how I feel about HD650 and all this with inadequate amp for it
L3000.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,121 of 46,514
i love my hd650 and they are truly comfy,they have a great grip on the head,the k701 was also very comfy but i found them heavy and doesnt have the secure snug fit of the hd650 so they slide on my ears from time to time.i agree with what you said aimlink,i never find the hd650 lacking in an area or boring.i may get a tube amp soon for them just because i want to try the tubeey sound
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,122 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I would like a little (and I said a little) more bass impact, the HD800's has much, much deeper and better controlled bass than any headphone I've ever heard (and this is coming from a former D7000 owner). The HD650s do have coloured bass IMO, in as so much that they portray more than the recording calls out for. I also found it muddy and not as deep next to the HD800..

It just goes to prove that everybody needs to listen themselves to know for sure. I totally disagree with this assessment of bass quality.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,123 of 46,514
Quote:

It just goes to prove that everybody needs to listen themselves to know for sure. I totally disagree with this assessment of bass quality.

I agree... but... for me... it was dependent upon whether I was using the "old" or "new" version of the HD650s, and the set up. The "new" version with the right source and amp... has crystal clear bass, mids and highs, with great detail and speed. The "old" version was slow and muddy.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #1,124 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree... but... for me... it was dependent upon whether I was using the "old" or "new" version of the HD650s, and the set up. The "new" version with the right source and amp... has crystal clear bass, mids and highs, with great detail and speed. The "old" version was slow and muddy.

To confirm, my HD650 were the new version and there really was no comparison in bass quality with the HD800s...none (same goes for comfort, sound stage, detail retrieval). They are nice all rounders, just not in the same league as the HD800/T1.

Again, the HD650's bass is quite good, just muddy in comparison to the absolute clarity of the HD800. My tube amp was designed with the HD600/HD650 in mind and a great match for it.

I actually preferred the bass quality of the K701/2 to the HD650; although I did prefer the overall HD650 bass presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back