Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #841 of 46,514
I have had my HD650s for over 2 years now and they really blow me away. They run a Stefan Audio Art balanced cable to a Headroom Balanced Amp and Stello DA100S Dac.

I recently defoamed them (foam removed from the ear pads and the small foam pad on the grille side). I added nylon stocking to the ear pads and used the ear pad foam inside the grilles. The result is super tight bass, but a loss of the Senn sound. The mids also were more recessed. I EQed them and I have not looked back, plenty of detail, bass that punches hard and with the EQ, great midrange so vocals sound good... sort of a refined RS1 Grado is the best way to describe them.

atsmile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #842 of 46,514
I need to wash the pads on my HD650s. How would I go about doing this without damaging them?

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #843 of 46,514
I continue to enjoy these cans with the LD MK IV. For certain types of music (acoustic jazz, primarily), they remain my first choice.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #844 of 46,514
I also use my HD650s with an LD MKIV. I'm currently on the fence about a cable upgrade. The rational, skeptical part of my brain says it ain't worth it. The hopeful, gullible side keeps saying, but what if it is?

I've seen plenty of testimonies about upgraded cables lifting the Sennheiser veil and all that.

Anybody out there who sprung for an expensive new cable and didn't hear much (or any) difference?

I want to hear from you, here or via PM.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #845 of 46,514
I really enjoy my HD650 at home, the deep sound impact it makes and the clarity of instruments.

Too bad I`m most of the time on the go.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #846 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to wash the pads on my HD650s. How would I go about doing this without damaging them?

I did that yesterday and just removed the pads from the headphones and let them soak up in water with a little bit of washing powder.

I will come back to you when(if) i manage to reassemble the headphone.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #847 of 46,514
What do you mean by washing powder?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #849 of 46,514
Yes, i meant laundry detergent.

I managed to reassemble the headphone and i think the pads are not as smooth as they were before.
Most of the bad smell is gone, but i think the only way to get completely clean pads is to buy new ones.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #850 of 46,514
Mine don't smell so I don't have to wash them for that reason; there is just some dust and stuff on them that I wanted to remove, but whatever.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #851 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine don't smell so I don't have to wash them for that reason; there is just some dust and stuff on them that I wanted to remove, but whatever.

Sellotape gets all the dust and fluff off!!!

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #852 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also use my HD650s with an LD MKIV. I'm currently on the fence about a cable upgrade. The rational, skeptical part of my brain says it ain't worth it. The hopeful, gullible side keeps saying, but what if it is?

I've seen plenty of testimonies about upgraded cables lifting the Sennheiser veil and all that.

Anybody out there who sprung for an expensive new cable and didn't hear much (or any) difference?

I want to hear from you, here or via PM.

I noticed a subtle improvement in detail and clarity by upgrading to the Cardas. It wasn't huge but worth it, IMO. To each his own.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #853 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a subtle improvement in detail and clarity by upgrading to the Cardas. It wasn't huge but worth it, IMO. To each his own.

I found a good improvement on the micro details and sound stage with my Stefan Audio Art Equinox 6ft cable. Worth it to me...

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #855 of 46,514
I'm going to pick up a lightly used 2nd hand pair next week for a ridiculous low price of 200 bucks. I'm expecting great things.
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad to be joining the club!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back