Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #451 of 46,514
Just a couple of additional quick comments for those on this thread who have asked me for my reactions to my new HD650+Darkvoice 332 pairing.
I have taken a couple of short breaks over the last 8 hours since my Darkvoice arrived, other steady immersion in the sounds flowing into my ears.

Currently listening to "Versatile Heart" by Linda Thompson. If you don't already have it, get it one way or the other. It is just that good. Of course everything either Linda or David or the both of them together have ever done is great.
Right now on the 6th time through in repetition of "Beauty" a song especially written for Linda by Rufus Wainwright. I am not sure I can remember a more totally "beautiful" piece of music. The strings, violins, cello, viola separately and merged together simply caress her incredible voice. And her voice, her voice is one of the more senuous things I have expeinced in a very long time. Her words literally reach out and touch parts of me that run very very deep. The harmony on the song is sad and beautiful at the same time.
The Darkvoice is amazing at pushing the music deeper and deeper into my senses without seeming to be applying any pressure whatsoever. The music and the feelings and textures that go with it are just there, in the very center of my mind. The HD650s start out as being superb phones, with the Darkvoice they are fully actualized.
I am already looking forward to swapping out tubes to fine tune the sound just a tiny bit more.
More later.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #452 of 46,514
So I pick up my HD-650's five minutes ago to get a good listen in and I put my hands against my ears as usual and I notice that my right grill is pushed in and a large area of it is dented!

I'm upset to say the least and I was wondering if any of you sennheiser gurus could tell me if theres a way that I can take apart the pads/phones so that I can get into the grill and maybe pop that huge dent out.

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #453 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gahhh i'm pretty envious since my hd650's are only powered by my puny d2 boa. 399.99 plus Shipping is alittle too much for my wallet with school just around the corner..

Hmmm.. it depends of your weight!! If you are a bit overweighted, you can start some diet and save money for it. I know as I am a student and for my last purchase I lost 10 kilos. Welcome to crazyland!!! toooot toooot!!!

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #454 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by jun41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I pick up my HD-650's five minutes ago to get a good listen in and I put my hands against my ears as usual and I notice that my right grill is pushed in and a large area of it is dented!

I'm upset to say the least and I was wondering if any of you sennheiser gurus could tell me if theres a way that I can take apart the pads/phones so that I can get into the grill and maybe pop that huge dent out.

Thanks!

Yes you can do it. It also happened to me. I think you have to pull the ear pads first and then pull the earcup from the side of the grills. you will end up with the grill in your hand. Give it a slight push using a soft towel so that the power will go evenly in all the surface of the grill from the inside of the grill to the outside and tadaaa!! A brand new grill
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #455 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by jun41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Pretty good instruction on how to disassemble them
APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #456 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty good instruction on how to disassemble them
APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

Great article. I would not recommend you though to remove the internal foam. I have been at this stage trying to improve the veil by taking out the foam. It changes the sound signature of the headphones. It removes the weight from the mid range and it makes the highs a bit unnaturally bright. It makes the overall sound of the headphones less "organic". So it just masking the veil, it does not remove it. That's my opinion though. There are many users that are happy by removing it... I am not.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #457 of 46,514
Thanks! You guys are amazing.

At first I could not pry off the side that needed fixing so I tried the other end and it came off effortlessly so I used a bit more force on the side that needed fixing and voila it came off.

It's now fixed and looks better than ever.

iron,

There is no way that that foam is coming out. Why mess with a sound that's already perfect?
smile_phones.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #458 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm.. it depends of your weight!! If you are a bit overweighted, you can start some diet and save money for it. I know as I am a student and for my last purchase I lost 10 kilos. Welcome to crazyland!!! toooot toooot!!!

haha food is no joke when it comes to school studying... i got to eat my snacks while i'm studying with my green tea.. it works wonders. But right now, i'll stay with my boa.. I'll just have to dream some more.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #459 of 46,514
A couple more quick thoughts on the Senn HD650 Darkvoice 332 pairing.

One of my favorite all time CDs is "The Essential Collection -- Bill Morrissey" which has some the finest interplays between vocals, sax, and piano that I have heard.

The most challenging cut on the CD is "Avalon Blues"
For most of the cut the center of the center stage is shared by an overlapping interplay of Bills incredible voice and a sax and piano. It is exactly this interplay that has placed this particular cut very high on my overall favorites list.
The interraction is simply stunning!!! The voice is up front and carressing the whole time. Somehow the Darkvoice manages to open up the sound stage to allow the three elements, voice, sax, and piano to have totally equal emphasis without fighting each other in the least. On the surface it seems almost impossible. But there it is to be heard. On the fifth time through th cut the impact is increasing if anything.
Each piano note is completely separate is comes across with amazing impact, like individual shards of sharpenned ice quickly penetrating my mind and just as quickly retreating to be followed by the equally impressive interplay of sax and vocals.
The music could not be improved in any way that I can put my finger on at this point. I just want to put it into an endless loop, but of course there is much more to sample so I must move on.
The sound is all enveloping and immersive in a way that I have not experienced up to this point with any other pairing.
That includes my Stax Lambda setup.
I am holding off on a direct A/B between Senn HD650+Darkvoice 332 and Stax Lambda for a little while to allow burn in, but it should prove interesting.

If my onging comments on the pairing are of use to anyone please let me know.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #460 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoxfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is very helpful for me as I keep checking back on this thread for more input.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #461 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoxfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple more quick thoughts on the Senn HD650 Darkvoice 332 pairing.

One of my favorite all time CDs is "The Essential Collection -- Bill Morrissey" which has some the finest interplays between vocals, sax, and piano that I have heard.

The most challenging cut on the CD is "Avalon Blues"
For most of the cut the center of the center stage is shared by an overlapping interplay of Bills incredible voice and a sax and piano. It is exactly this interplay that has placed this particular cut very high on my overall favorites list.
The interraction is simply stunning!!! The voice is up front and carressing the whole time. Somehow the Darkvoice manages to open up the sound stage to allow the three elements, voice, sax, and piano to have totally equal emphasis without fighting each other in the least. On the surface it seems almost impossible. But there it is to be heard. On the fifth time through th cut the impact is increasing if anything.
Each piano note is completely separate is comes across with amazing impact, like individual shards of sharpenned ice quickly penetrating my mind and just as quickly retreating to be followed by the equally impressive interplay of sax and vocals.
The music could not be improved in any way that I can put my finger on at this point. I just want to put it into an endless loop, but of course there is much more to sample so I must move on.
The sound is all enveloping and immersive in a way that I have not experienced up to this point with any other pairing.
That includes my Stax Lambda setup.
I am holding off on a direct A/B between Senn HD650+Darkvoice 332 and Stax Lambda for a little while to allow burn in, but it should prove interesting.

You may want to identify your source as well... as your amp and headphones (if you haven't already below).

The way any set of phones sound... is really only in the context of your set up and recordings... and... vice versa.

No doubt there is a "special relationship" between the DV332 and HD650s, which is also fairly significantly affected by the source.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #462 of 46,514
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on HD 650 and I'd like to know before buying them if there is any way to find out whether the headphones you're being are the "new version" or not?

And the difference between the new and the old version would be the veil, that was lifted in the last version?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #463 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on HD 650 and I'd like to know before buying them if there is any way to find out whether the headphones you're being are the "new version" or not?

And the difference between the new and the old version would be the veil, that was lifted in the last version?

Don’t bother at all... If you buy them new, then its 1000% that they will be the new version (which is out about a year and a half now). On the other hand, from the research I have done, the sound is not different. There are users that claim they hear different sound. Sennheiser itself claims that there is no new version, and no new sound. They just changed the internal material providers. If you want to be sure though, the internal of the headphones (below the internal foam) in the newer version is metallic grey whereas in the older is black. My opinion: Just buy them and enjoy the music... Don’t waste your time on this matter...

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #464 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don’t bother at all... If you buy them new, then its 1000% that they will be the new version (which is out about a year and a half now). On the other hand, from the research I have done, the sound is not different. There are users that claim they hear different sound. Sennheiser itself claims that there is no new version, and no new sound. They just changed the internal material providers. If you want to be sure though, the internal of the headphones (below the internal foam) in the newer version is metallic grey whereas in the older is black. My opinion: Just buy them and enjoy the music... Don’t waste your time on this matter...

Ok
happy_face1.gif
advice appreciated ^^

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #465 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

You definitely won't be sorry you are going with Senn 650s. I have had mine for only a few weeks and I am already totally in love with them.
You only have to worry about the "new" versus "old" issue if you are getting a used pair.
J&R Music still has them for $329 with free shipping. I am not sure if the $50 rebate through Senn when you send in any pair of old phones or even ear buds is still in effect, but you might want to check on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back