Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #227 of 46,514
I have always been a senn man. I have been adoring my 565 ovations since the day i bought them and they just get better minus a nasty horrible cable problem..... they were mated to my earmax pro like a match made in heaven.

So how could i go wrong when buying the 650's. well i was impressed when they showed up loverly build and looks, however when i hooked them up I was very dissapointed...

The fit was way too tight the bass was way too heavy so as you can imagine i was a little upset, I kept telling myself they needed burning in. I now know this was true to a certain extent because they did settle down after a while, but it was a series of events was to be the saving grace for these cans.

first i wanted to tackle the bass issue and as I wasn't about to get rid of my much loved earmax tube amp i trawled through IC review after review after finally reading about the Nordost blue heaven review in a hifi mag "very revealing IC, has a tendency to show up poor equipment and tends to tighten the bass somewhat" so onto ebay i went and bought me some already burned in cables....

Well what a difference they made you could say night and day. I am now hearing what i hoped to hear the day the headphones turned up. amazing dynamics timbre, that little buzz on the guitar strings in the background as the player swaps strings..you get my drift. I've now got a cheshire bcoz i know it will get even better with age.

I now know what these audiophiles are talking about when it comes to system matching and probably why they spend so much money trying to find that elusive perfect match. when you get to this level of audio a simple IC or amp choice can make or break a system.

Sorry for rambling but if you do buy these match them well. and I promise you won't be dissapointed..

P.S the glass head sorted the tight fit problem as well by loosening them up..lol

2425976533_bd7e9a9c90_b.jpg

2426795082_bd5156d0e6_b.jpg

biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #228 of 46,514
To use automotive terms, hd650's are the Chevy small block of headphones.
Does what it does well, and can be hod rodded to extremes.
They're easy to find, and the methods of improving their sound
are well documented. There's better out there, but these are hard to stay away from.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #229 of 46,514
Foir the longest time I was very much in the HD600 > HD650 camp... but, with the foam removal mod, I am back to HE60 > HD650 > HD600, even if by the slightest of margins between the latter two. Something keeps the 650 plugged in on the balanced system... I tend to think it is the ever so slight extra bass, not that the 600 are bass shy.

Just no bad answers in this group.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #230 of 46,514
I tried the Nordost Red Dawn with the HD650 and it did make a large difference using the Lisa III. I actually didn't like it (brighter and colder then my tastes like), but the base tightened up. I loved the Equinox cable I had with it and will definitely buy a new equinox balanced cable after my current build project is finished.

A great tube amp and the HD650 blew my mind, I'm sticking with it for the long haul and have built my system around it.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #231 of 46,514
For those of us with wide heads: How do you relax the clamp of the HD650 without breaking them?

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #232 of 46,514
pretty simple....just extend the headphone so the metal bar shows on the sides....once its full extended, grab the metal part at the top, closest to the plastic headband...bend the speaker out ward a tad, NOT TO MUCH...very light bend back. Make sure you are NOT bending the plastic headband.

Basically as i said, you are holding the metal where it goes into the head band and SLIGHTLY bending outwards...DO NOT BEND THE headband plastic part.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #233 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of us with wide heads: How do you relax the clamp of the HD650 without breaking them?

By wearing them. It didn't bother me that much and they eventually loosened up.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #234 of 46,514
Well in the picture of your avatar it seems that they are still pretty tight
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #235 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By wearing them. It didn't bother me that much and they eventually loosened up.

WHen i got mine, there was NO way to wear them in to make them more comfortable. For me, i had to bend them out to even make it bearable.

Now they are almost perfect...alittle more bending will do the trick.

Then again, im a big guy, got a pretty big head...so it might not be as bad for people with little noggins.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #236 of 46,514
Whoa. I have several times thought of posting here but I never did. Let's fix it now.
smily_headphones1.gif

These cans are remarkable and very interesting. I've been thinking all these months that my Ariatte is not performing the best. What's funny I keep hearing more and more details from pieces even though these are well-burnt and stuff. Lately I've noticed some improvement / emphasization on treble. I'm not sure whether it's because of software updates or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great cans anyway.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #237 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the same problem,, Until i found this tweak...lol it did the wearing for me..lol
2425976533_bd7e9a9c90_b.jpg

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #240 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for the huge pictures but i only managed to figure out how to add them yesterday now every post has huge pictures LOL

I would never keep my headphones on a dummy head. It totally destroys the earpads. My friend kept his HD650s clamped on his couch's armrest. When I compared his pair to mine, the earpads were very flat and the sound was totally different from mine. Even more bass because the pads were so flat so the drivers were closer to my ears.

I would recommend keeping them on the original box or hanging freely from somewhere. Also if you too often lay them down on a hard surface, the paint will start cracking off eventually. HD650 has very sensitive paint job.

If you feel like you can't wear them as new, then just gently stretch the headband every now and then. It will loosen up eventually.

Anyways, I've never understood all the posts about "the vice grip of death" etc. You guys must be really sensitive or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Fusi
Back