Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 21, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #46,547 of 46,564
Hmm interesting take. What is it about the Auteur that you preferred them over the HD600?
It's not as shouty in the upper midrange, and has a lot more extension on both ends. So the tonality is a few steps closer to "natural" and "balanced" to me. Along with the better technicalities, like soundstage, imaging, impact, resolution, etc.

May 22, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #46,552 of 46,564
May 22, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #46,553 of 46,564
What is the best source for Sennheiser OEM parts (headband padding, earpads, etc.)?
Audio Sanctuary in the UK has parts, sometimes things not available @ Sennheiser. Make an account with them:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk
I have bought multiple items from them.
Thomann has the best headphone stands - bought multiples from them, too.

May 23, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #46,554 of 46,564
Okay so I just broke out my HD6XX from the closet. It's been a long time since I used them. I also have an HD600 and more recently got a set of ZMF Bokeh and Aeon 2 Noire. I got a fresh set of pads for my HD600 as well. I swapped the Dekoni pads back to the the HD6XX. Does it make sense the HD6XX has more low end than the HD600?
Yes, since it's the Drop version of the HD650. I tweak my pair slightly more with the Schiit Loki Mini to even better improve the bass. Love 'em - especially for the price.

Jun 12, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #46,555 of 46,564
IMG_5610.png

Want ad, spotted today on Canuck Audio Mart. Some people still have lots of money even these hard economic times.

Jun 13, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #46,556 of 46,564
Corporations are reporting record profits and hundreds of new billionaires are created. Hard economic times are only for the consumers, not people who capitalise on the consumers.
This is why when people ask "Why are people still buying xxx" or "Why are the prices so expensive?", I would answer with "We keep giving them money."

Jun 13, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #46,557 of 46,564
After acquiring a new set of 650 after retiring my old pair I’m really starting to believe in driver break in, I noticed the new set sounded a little thick, dense and kind of restrained, not the sound I’ve become accustomed to. After 20 minutes of listening I decided to put them down and run a mix of high dynamic music and pink noise through them all week.

They’re approaching the 72 hours mark and the sound so far is quite interesting. Right now I’d describe them as more relaxed and effortless, is it real or am I imaging it who knows for sure. Tests have been done on this phenomenon before with no measurable proof but im really starting to think there’s more to this.

IMG_0918.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #46,558 of 46,564
After acquiring a new set of 650 after retiring my old pair I’m really starting to believe in driver break in, I noticed the new set sounded a little thick, dense and kind of restrained, not the sound I’ve become accustomed to. After 20 minutes of listening I decided to put them down and run a mix of high dynamic music and pink noise through them all week.

They’re approaching the 72 hours mark and the sound so far is quite interesting. Right now I’d describe them as more relaxed and effortless, is it real or am I imaging it who knows for sure. Tests have been done on this phenomenon before with no measurable proof but im really starting to think there’s more to this.

IMG_0918.jpeg

Other than driver burn-in, there's also a question of the old pads versus new pads break in, which can be measured.

Jun 13, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #46,560 of 46,564
I don’t think pad wear would be playing a factor in this situation because the new set have been on my head less than an hour.

Ah i misread your first post, thought it was mentioned the old HD650 sounds different from the new one.

Burn in of drivers is possible but yeah there will always be 2 camps of believers and detractors.

FWIW, there was this headfier that measured some burn in for the single DD iBasso IT00 IEM: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...-enjoy-the-music.934980/page-30#post-15775831

Mostly he showed that there are small differences (< 1 dB) with burn in measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back