Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #45,181 of 46,554
Lmao 3th time purchasing HD6XX, when will it be enough. Actually want to test it out with current equipment.

Owned HD660s for brief time and initially declared it superior to HD6XX however after a while of using something started to bugger me in treble, like slight grittiness combined with forward sound as i remembered HD6XX smooth as pillow, HD660s was not that
I know what you’re talking about. Over the years headphones have come and gone in my case but I’ve never been without an HD650 since 2005. Some of those we’re over 2-4 thousand $ headphones which I thought sounded better at the time. Presently I own only two headphones : the HD650 & it’s HD600 sibling.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #45,182 of 46,554
I know what you’re talking about. Over the years headphones have come and gone in my case but I’ve never been without an HD650 since 2005. Some of those we’re over 2-4 thousand $ headphones which I thought sounded better at the time. Presently I own only two headphones : the HD650 & it’s HD600 sibling.
After having listened to the HD 650 all night, I know were you're coming from. Think that sometimes for me at least, while listening, I get distracted by the thought of how something else (other HPs) may sound - better...Thus not being present when the music actually is to be enjoyed....And when focusing then the HD650 kicks in....:)

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #45,184 of 46,554
Lmao 3th time purchasing HD6XX, when will it be enough. Actually want to test it out with current equipment.

Owned HD660s for brief time and initially declared it superior to HD6XX however after a while of using something started to bugger me in treble, like slight grittiness combined with forward sound as i remembered HD6XX smooth as pillow, HD660s was not that.

I think its all about compromises and what you would prefer, 660S is faster, tighter and more pleasant in the high mids but has less smooth and more metallic sounding treble. Both obviously sounding very similar so pick your flavour. shame 660S didn't really take off as well as Sennheiser might have hoped because its still a very musical sounding headphone and better than most other brands imo.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #45,187 of 46,554
if you could find a source / amp with a sweet midrange forwardness the LCD2 is an excellent upgrade from 650.
I actually come from LCD3s. I bought Hd6xx as replacement when my LCD3s died. Yeah both have very sweet midrange, but 6xx has more prominent mids. I guess the 2s has more emphasis on mid than the 3s

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #45,188 of 46,554
Yes! HD6xx is smooth as butter and even more liquid with tubes, memory did not fail me. Like so much when I can listen those lesser quality old VHS rips or live sessions from Youtube and they won't make my face twitch in pain, for comparison Utopia made my heart jump multiple times with those tracks because there was some unintended sounds included that got magnified to such extend that i trough driver actually broke up but found remedy by rewinding song that it was in recording itself phew...

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #45,189 of 46,554
Quick question please. Which out of the HD650 or HD6XX (if any) would be better suited to classical music? Orchestral and smaller ensemble. Do they have enough detail retrieval, instrument separation and soundstage to handle the genre please?
Thanks in advance

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #45,190 of 46,554
Quick question please. Which out of the HD650 or HD6XX (if any) would be better suited to classical music? Orchestral and smaller ensemble. Do they have enough detail retrieval, instrument separation and soundstage to handle the genre please?
Thanks in advance
Hd650 and hd6xx are the same headphone.

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #45,192 of 46,554
Absolutely no difference sonically? Ok thanks. But are they good for classical?
Yeah, very good if you enjoy a warm lush presentation and a small soundstage... If you want similar experience but more neutral tone go for the HD600... If you need even more detail, more soundstage, but a touch less "musical" presentation and more analytical go for the HD800 or similar.

Out of all the HD line up, the HD650 is still my favorite. Pair it with a solid OTL amplfier and you will be satisfied.

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #45,193 of 46,554
Yeah, very good if you enjoy a warm lush presentation and a small soundstage... If you want similar experience but more neutral tone go for the HD600... If you need even more detail, more soundstage, but a touch less "musical" presentation and more analytical go for the HD800 or similar.

Out of all the HD line up, the HD650 is still my favorite. Pair it with a solid OTL amplfier and you will be satisfied.
Thank you. My little headphones system is currently an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack. I think they would provide enough power to drive either quite well?
It ‘sounds’ like the 600 and 650 may be more suited to smaller ensemble and solo instrument albums than orchestral pieces then?

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #45,194 of 46,554
Absolutely no difference sonically? Ok thanks. But are they good for classical?
No difference besides the 6xx is blue and the 650 is silver/grey. I consider them good for almost anything but like mrgoat stated they are warmish. 600 is definitely better for classical in my opinion but it depends what kind of sound you like. I also replied before in your other thread and have since explored some classical music and 600 is the better of the 2. I know you don't intend to purchase a tube amp since you just got a dac/amp but it makes them even better.
I know you initially had a $300 budget and the hd6xx is the best value in that range.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #45,195 of 46,554
No difference besides the 6xx is blue and the 650 is silver/grey. I consider them good for almost anything but like mrgoat stated they are warmish. 600 is definitely better for classical in my opinion but it depends what kind of sound you like. I also replied before in your other thread and have since explored some classical music and 600 is the better of the 2. I know you don't intend to purchase a tube amp since you just got a dac/amp but it makes them even better.
I know you initially had a $300 budget and the hd6xx is the best value in that range.
Thank you again. And for remembering my own thread re headphones for Classical music. Appreciate it.
Re my budget, I have actually been offered a used pair of HD650, 6 months old and obviously under warranty in mint condition for £170. But I don’t know if they are suitable. I don’t mind a warmish tone as long as detail retrieval and instrument separation is kept.
Re the HD600, I can get those new here for £279 so in budget but £100 more than the used 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back