Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #45,166 of 46,527
Yes, the HD650, in contrast to the common believe, they have a shouting upper mid range.
Thanks for the reply. Does the HD600 have the shout also?

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #45,171 of 46,527
I like the sound signature of the 650, anyone else find the vocals a bit shouty? Maybe I'm just not used to the forward midrange. Eq smooths the shout but I lose some of the magic in the process.
It’s worth repeating: Custom Cans UK mods + driver-side / ear-side foam removal / mesh replacement. Think, then, of the title of a 1971 Les McCann album (Atlantic - SD 1603): Invitation To Openness.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #45,172 of 46,527
It’s worth repeating: Custom Cans UK mods + driver-side / ear-side foam removal / mesh replacement. Think, then, of the title of a 1971 Les McCann album (Atlantic - SD 1603): Invitation To Openness.
I definitely have future plans for mods. At the moment I'm just enjoying the stock sound. I find it very soothing and warm. Thanks for the tip.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #45,173 of 46,527
• I own both the HD600 and the HD6XX. I have found neither of them to be shouty. The 6XX has a very slight bass hump vs the 600. I prefer the 6XX on some recordings, the 600 on other recordings. I do not use ‘electronic’ EQ - headphones (unadorned / modded) are my EQ 🤷🏻‍♂️.
• I find that the 600 / 6XX are natural sounding. A serious headphoner should have either - better yet, both. Also, 600 / 6XX deserve a great h/p cable. [Norne Audio Vygarde: a copper/silver interwoven cable 👍.)

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #45,174 of 46,527
• I own both the HD600 and the HD6XX. I have found neither of them to be shouty. The 6XX has a very slight bass hump vs the 600. I prefer the 6XX on some recordings, the 600 on other recordings. I do not use ‘electronic’ EQ - headphones (unadorned / modded) are my EQ 🤷🏻‍♂️.
• I find that the 600 / 6XX are natural sounding. A serious headphoner should have either - better yet, both. Also, 600 / 6XX deserve a great h/p cable. [Norne Audio Vygarde: a copper/silver interwoven cable 👍.)
The 650 are only shouty on certain recordings but I found them to smooth out nicely with the Luxman's preamp. None of my other HP'S have a Lionel Richie shouty voice when in direct mode through the same amp. I find an EQ to be a great tool when needed. Just like modding but only alot cheaper. Whatever sounds best in my book.
FWIW, My K340 are stock with EQ and nothing I've heard so far comes close to them for my taste but I haven't heard too much of the gourmet stuff like yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #45,175 of 46,527
Jonathan, I'm not familiar with Norne Audio cables. I see them on the internet and see that they aren't outrageously expensive, but still a piece of change for me, as I'm retired.....

My experience with 3rd party cables is that I hear a difference most often compared to the stock cables. However, it is incremental in nature. Not earth shattering differences........ Please confirm my suspicions that the Norne Audio cables would provide incremental improvement to the stock 6xx cable.

Thanks!!

Leo

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #45,176 of 46,527
I agree with the first part. They sound fine without EQ although the 600 to me is a lot sharper sounding all around compared to the 650. EQing to Harman is free and I'm not a purist so ill do whatever makes them sound the best. I would have to be seriously convinced of an audible difference to justify spending the price of the headphone itself on a cable no matter how nice the cable is (the norne cables are certainly nice).

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #45,177 of 46,527
Jonathan, I'm not familiar with Norne Audio cables. I see them on the internet and see that they aren't outrageously expensive, but still a piece of change for me, as I'm retired.....

My experience with 3rd party cables is that I hear a difference most often compared to the stock cables. However, it is incremental in nature. Not earth shattering differences........ Please confirm my suspicions that the Norne Audio cables would provide incremental improvement to the stock 6xx cable.

Thanks!!

Leo
• I would not say that the Norne Audio Vygarde is ‘earth shattering’ or a $100 equivalent for a $1 price. What it is is incremental & excellent.
• It brings added clarity, dimensionality, dynamics to these headphones that are already fantastic: Audeze LCD-4, LCD-X; Focal Clear; Gjallarhorn 50 JM Edition; Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX; ZMF Aeolus, Atrium, Atticus, Auteur, Eikon.
• I say this from my use. Then there is Trevor’s incomparable workmanship.
• Also, please browse the Norne Audio threads in the ‘Cables, Power, Tweaks’ forum here in Head-Fi.org.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #45,180 of 46,527
Lmao 3th time purchasing HD6XX, when will it be enough. Actually want to test it out with current equipment.

Owned HD660s for brief time and initially declared it superior to HD6XX however after a while of using something started to bugger me in treble, like slight grittiness combined with forward sound as i remembered HD6XX smooth as pillow, HD660s was not that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back