Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #44,371 of 46,527
I've been listening to the HD6XX for one week now, I have K712, LCD 2F (2017), Grado 225e, I can see why people call this the tonality king, cello sounds absolutely phenomenal on these, best I've heard that instrument sound, that being said I believe the LCD 2 is the better headphone overall, much more refined sounding, better bass, a room sized soundstage with good imaging that spreads from left to right evenly, the HD6XX definitely has that left right centre blob imaging, compared to the K712 it's actually nice to have a more defined centre image.

I'm very eager now to hear how the HD600 sounds, I would like that touch more 'neutral' flavour, I wouldn't call the HD6XX veiled like some people say, just smooth, it's a warm sounding headphone no doubt, you guys know if there is much of a difference from the HD6XX and HD600?
I have the 650 and the 600, not the 6xx, but assuming arguendo that the 6xx is the same as the 650 then, yes, there is a discernible difference. The 600 is more neutral but, to my ears, not as smooth and musical as the 650. Also, both of these headphones are receptive to modding, if you’re into fine tuning (not talking major stuff, just things like pad rolling and playing with wires and foam will make subtle but noticeable changes to the sound without changing the overall signature) but, most importantly, at 300 ohms resistance, they scale with better sources and amplification MUCH more than lower impedance headphones designed to sound good from your iPhone. I also respectfully disagree with you about the Audeze. I had a pair of LCD-X for about a year (not to mention Ananda, Focal Elear, and a host of more expensive cans). They were all wonderful in their way, but ultimately I decided to sell them all in favor of the all-around queen 650. I believe you can get MUCH more satisfying results with a pair of 650’s (or 6xx) and a powerful class A SS or a really good OTL tube amp than with a pair of $1,000 headphones and a less accomplished amplifier. Anyway, choosing between the 600 and the 650 is s matter of preference. The 600 might be the better looking sister, but she can be a little aloof. The 650 may be slightly less perfect, but it’s in a musically engaging way, and she’s much more fun at a party. I keep the 600 at my bedside with a smaller set up and it’s great, but I keep the 650 plugged into an oldie but goodie Burson Soloist running off my main system for serious musical pleasure. Right now I’m listening to a Keith Jarrett solo piano cd (Creation) playing on a naim CD player with hi-cap2, through the preamp section of a plinius hautonga integrated, into the Burson powering the (slightly modified) 650s, and I’m telling you it does not get much better than this. I don’t know what amp you’re using, but IMHO, with proper care and feeding, your qualms about the 650s being ‘veiled’ will vanish. YMMV, just my 2 cents, etc., etc., but I’ve been at this for 45 years and I’m dead serious when I say that if you’ve already got the Sennheisers you will get more satisfaction out of investing in a super amp than you will by swapping headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #44,372 of 46,527
It’s been a while since I’ve used my HD600’s, and I use my HD6XX’s just about daily, but taken from memory, the key differences in my ears are that the HD600 has a bit more “bite” in the treble while HD6XX has a bit more bass, the soundstage is a little more closed in in the HD600 while more expanded in the HD6XX (both in width and height, but still mostly “in your head”), the HD6XX also makes for a more engaging listen to me for whatever reason. That said, they definitely are more similar than not, and they share the same enticing tonality.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #44,373 of 46,527
It’s been a while since I’ve used my HD600’s, and I use my HD6XX’s just about daily, but taken from memory, the key differences in my ears are that the HD600 has a bit more “bite” in the treble while HD6XX has a bit more bass, the soundstage is a little more closed in in the HD600 while more expanded in the HD6XX (both in width and height, but still mostly “in your head”), the HD6XX also makes for a more engaging listen to me for whatever reason. That said, they definitely are more similar than not, and they share the same enticing tonality.

I sold my HD 600 a while back after I got the HD 650. Compared to the (to my ears) wonderful sound of the HD 650 the treble of the HD 600 had a bit too much "bite" (to copy your description) for my taste.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #44,374 of 46,527
I sold my HD 600 a while back after I got the HD 650. Compared to the (to my ears) wonderful sound of the HD 650 the treble of the HD 600 had a bit too much "bite" (to copy your description) for my taste.
Shouldn’t they sound the same according to the measurements at audiosciencereview?

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #44,376 of 46,527
Shouldn’t they sound the same according to the measurements at audiosciencereview?
He must be the only person in the planet who thinks (because I don't think he has actually compared) that they sound the same.
Most people can pick them in triple - double - quadruple blind test.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #44,377 of 46,527
Lol! Next they’ll be debating whether one can truly distinguish New York super fudge chunk from coffee heathbar crunch, since they both have the same amount of sugar, fat and calories. 😵‍💫

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #44,379 of 46,527
I have to admit that I enjoy ASR as an ultra-objectivist ("Prove to me that you can hear the difference in 10 consecutive double-blind tests!") counter to the ultra-subjectivists ("I moved one of my cable risers a quarter of an inch and now my system sounds completely different!"). I also admit to enjoying their videos where they review various add-on products. I remember one where they looked at a USB 'cleaner' dongle that made the output of the DAC measurably worse. True, the added artifacts were 120 dB down so likely not audible, but interesting (and entertaining) nonetheless. For me though, at the end of the day I listen to music, not measurements.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #44,380 of 46,527
Just to get back on track, I think I agree that I generally prefer the warmer signature of HD650, in the same way I have a soft spot for koetsu cartridges. Less accurate to the source, perhaps, but always musically engaging. On the other hand, there is still a family resemblance, and with some pad/wire rolling, a little more personality can be squeezed out of the HD600. I’m going to order those Custom Cans brass weights to see if they don’t ameliorate the low end traction issue, my only real quibble with the the HD600. If so, that might prove to be the best of both worlds.

NB - I’m referring to 650 and blue marble 600. I express no opinion, one way or the other, on 6xx or the new gray 600, as I have zero experience with either.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #44,381 of 46,527
I have the 650 and the 600, not the 6xx, but assuming arguendo that the 6xx is the same as the 650 then, yes, there is a discernible difference. The 600 is more neutral but, to my ears, not as smooth and musical as the 650. Also, both of these headphones are receptive to modding, if you’re into fine tuning (not talking major stuff, just things like pad rolling and playing with wires and foam will make subtle but noticeable changes to the sound without changing the overall signature) but, most importantly, at 300 ohms resistance, they scale with better sources and amplification MUCH more than lower impedance headphones designed to sound good from your iPhone. I also respectfully disagree with you about the Audeze. I had a pair of LCD-X for about a year (not to mention Ananda, Focal Elear, and a host of more expensive cans). They were all wonderful in their way, but ultimately I decided to sell them all in favor of the all-around queen 650. I believe you can get MUCH more satisfying results with a pair of 650’s (or 6xx) and a powerful class A SS or a really good OTL tube amp than with a pair of $1,000 headphones and a less accomplished amplifier. Anyway, choosing between the 600 and the 650 is s matter of preference. The 600 might be the better looking sister, but she can be a little aloof. The 650 may be slightly less perfect, but it’s in a musically engaging way, and she’s much more fun at a party. I keep the 600 at my bedside with a smaller set up and it’s great, but I keep the 650 plugged into an oldie but goodie Burson Soloist running off my main system for serious musical pleasure. Right now I’m listening to a Keith Jarrett solo piano cd (Creation) playing on a naim CD player with hi-cap2, through the preamp section of a plinius hautonga integrated, into the Burson powering the (slightly modified) 650s, and I’m telling you it does not get much better than this. I don’t know what amp you’re using, but IMHO, with proper care and feeding, your qualms about the 650s being ‘veiled’ will vanish. YMMV, just my 2 cents, etc., etc., but I’ve been at this for 45 years and I’m dead serious when I say that if you’ve already got the Sennheisers you will get more satisfaction out of investing in a super amp than you will by swapping headphones.

I have an Audeze Deckard amp,

IMG_20210807_103426.jpg

The manual says the following,

Headphone Out
SNR 106dB A-Weighting
THD+N Less than 0.1%, 20Hz-20kHz,
4W with 20 ohm load
Frequency Response 5Hz to 100kHz, -1dB
Output Impedance 3 ohms
Output Power 4W at 20 ohms

I'm guessing that's enough to power the HD6XX's?

I'm a little intrigued to see if there is much improvement going balanced?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #44,382 of 46,527
I have an Audeze Deckard amp, the manual says the following,

Headphone Out
SNR 106dB A-Weighting
THD+N Less than 0.1%, 20Hz-20kHz,
4W with 20 ohm load
Frequency Response 5Hz to 100kHz, -1dB
Output Impedance 3 ohms
Output Power 4W at 20 ohms

I'm guessing that's enough to power the HD6XX's?
I have used it with the 650 and it is more than enough with headroom to spare.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #44,383 of 46,527
I have used it with the 650 and it is more than enough with headroom to spare.

Does going balanced offer any benefits?

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #44,384 of 46,527
Not necessarily.
If you have a good single ended rig then go ahead and use it.
Going fully balanced with gear designed to work as such it may offer a little more open and wider sound.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #44,385 of 46,527
Always a great debate but it really is down to your amp mostly. The question being has that amp been designed with balanced or single ended in mind? Lots of high end amps have single ended only, the focus has been solely put into one area. As a result it’ll most likely have a better output than many balanced outputs that have both balanced and single (splitting the overall available investment in materials/parts).

The lower end of the amp market that has both outputs will generally have a better balanced output than single, single being an afterthought with minimal investment (understandably so for the lower cost of the amp).

Power requirements are another factor, you’ll generally get a higher output of power from balanced. The Aeon 2 being a good example of a hard to drive headphone. Comes to life with the right amount of power. So you ask yourself, what power does my headphone need. When people talk about pairing this is a big part of it, does the amp provide the power that the headphone needs.

I’ve had a few balanced amps, at the moment my amps are all single ended. The quality hasn’t suffered one bit for it. It’s all about the quality of the amp and the power requirement pairing (in my experience anyway).

Sorry if I waffled a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back