Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #43,773 of 46,514
Never heard the Schiit amps that you mentioned but I am currently reviewing the zen can and I can assure you that it is excellent.
Except from the 4.4mm pentacon plug that they use for the balanced input and the somewhat loose buttons I can't find any fault.
I would dare to say that for the price point it is reference and I am planning to buy it.
Mind you that it is balanced while the Schiit amps aren't.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #43,774 of 46,514
Never heard the Schiit amps that you mentioned but I am currently reviewing the zen can and I can assure you that it is excellent.
Except from the 4.4mm pentacon plug that they use for the balanced input and the somewhat loose buttons I can't find any fault.
I would dare to say that for the price point it is reference and I am planning to buy it.
Mind you that it is balanced while the Schiit amps aren't.
What about ZEN DAC? That's DAC/AMP right?

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #43,775 of 46,514
Hi guys,

I'm gonna order HD6xx on black friday. So i'm looking an amp for these. I was thinking Magni 3+ or Heresy. What do you think? Will that be enough? I'm in Europe and wiling to pay max 200 euro for amp.

Thanks!
I run my phone (streaming losless qobuz or Amazon hd) into a Modi and Heresy. After you posted this I grabbed my hd6xx's to give them a run on that setup. They normally are in my music room and used for playing and mixing guitar and bass.

I am not a long-time audiophile so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I thought the setup did very well for a modest dac/amp. The usually midrange clarity was there, the soundstage was great and plenty of bass for me. They kept up admiraly well vs the Sony Mdr Z1rs that I usually listen to through that setup. It's difficult to compare an open and closed-back but I would have no issues using that combo with the Senn's.

Whereas I run the volume around 9:00 in high gain with the Sonys, it was closer to 11 to drive the 6xx's. Good luck!

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #43,776 of 46,514
I run my phone (streaming losless qobuz or Amazon hd) into a Modi and Heresy. After you posted this I grabbed my hd6xx's to give them a run on that setup. They normally are in my music room and used for playing and mixing guitar and bass.

I am not a long-time audiophile so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I thought the setup did very well for a modest dac/amp. The usually midrange clarity was there, the soundstage was great and plenty of bass for me. They kept up admiraly well vs the Sony Mdr Z1rs that I usually listen to through that setup. It's difficult to compare an open and closed-back but I would have no issues using that combo with the Senn's.

Whereas I run the volume around 9:00 in high gain with the Sonys, it was closer to 11 to drive the 6xx's. Good luck!
Thanks!
It will be Magni 3+/Heresy or iFi ZEN CAN. Just can't decide how to choose one over the other.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #43,781 of 46,514
IMG_20201104_113904 (1).jpg

A mini setup for the HD6XX. I personally think that it is really important to get the HD650 / 6XX in order to really make further progress in this hobby. It really sets a great baseline for how a good setup should sound. Get the HD6xx and build your upgrade path along with it. It scales really well with great source gear and it will never be the bottleneck of it. The HD6XX baseline really allows you to evaluate your DACs and AMPs and identify the area for improvement and upgrades for source gear.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #43,782 of 46,514
The HD6XX/650 is whatever positive superlative you can throw at it. It’s simply astonishing, especially from a price/performance perspective. I listen to my headphones 6-8 hours per day and the 6XX are the only ones I can do that with. Comfort, and that insanely great liquid smooth sound signature make that possible. ❤️

Nov 4, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #43,783 of 46,514
The HD6XX/650 is whatever positive superlative you can throw at it. It’s simply astonishing, especially from a price/performance perspective. I listen to my headphones 6-8 hours per day and the 6XX are the only ones I can do that with. Comfort, and that insanely great liquid smooth sound signature make that possible. ❤
you mistake rolled off highs as smooth. they arent smooth just hard to hear. theres a difference.

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #43,784 of 46,514
you mistake rolled off highs as smooth. they arent smooth just hard to hear. theres a difference.
Well my ears hear plenty enough highs with the HD650s. True, not as much as with the DT990s, but those headphones invent, come up with highs that don't exist in the recording :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #43,785 of 46,514
What about ZEN DAC? That's DAC/AMP right?

It's a DAC in the first place, but with a nice headphone amp inside.

Why not iFi ZEN CAN?
It is ready available in EU and it is absolutely fantastic sounding with power to spare.
And you may find XBass very useful.

Oy, thanks! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back