Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 3, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #43,322 of 46,565
Is it possible for the bass of the HD 650 to get weakened due to driver damage, yet leaving all other frequencies intact? I swear it was a lot stronger a few months ago.

Or does weakened clamp cause that?
I believe that it is to weaker clamp or worn pads.

May 3, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #43,325 of 46,565
The bass on the 650's should increase with worn pads.
The bass on the 650's should increase with worn pads.
At diy audio heaven, solderdude did measurements of old pads vs new pads, and the measurements show an increase in treble between 6khz and 12khz of about an average of 2db.
Bass was reduced just a hair.

May 3, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #43,327 of 46,565
Is it possible for the bass of the HD 650 to get weakened due to driver damage, yet leaving all other frequencies intact? I swear it was a lot stronger a few months ago.

Could be psychological? Have you been listening to other headphones that have significantly more bass than the HD 650? Or maybe you're simply remembering them as having more bass than they actually do? Both of those things happen to me fairly regularly.
Or maybe spring allergies causing your ears to be congested? That happens to me yearly, though it doesn't usually effect the bass for me.
Failing amplifier?
Faulty cable? If a solder joint is going bad it can cause the drivers to go out of phase, which can make things sound quite odd in general, including weakened bass.

Just spitballing here. It seems unlikely to me that the drivers would fail in bass only without affecting other frequencies.

May 3, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #43,328 of 46,565
At diy audio heaven, solderdude did measurements of old pads vs new pads, and the measurements show an increase in treble between 6khz and 12khz of about an average of 2db.
Bass was reduced just a hair.

Bass was reduced a hair with new pads or old?

With my older/flatter pads, my 600's have less treble and slightly more bass. A lot of 600 owners feel that flatter pads are more desirable. I'd think it would be the other way around for the 650's since those headphones have more bass and have less treble than the 600's.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #43,329 of 46,565
I wouldn't mind to have the option of a bit of a worse sound, but more comfort with the 6xx. It is great by default, no complaints there really, but the pads holding system, although fast to swap pads, hard to get cheap comfortable pads as with others. Maybe my pads are too new and still hard. maybe with a fake ro real leather pads sound would be too bad.

May 4, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #43,330 of 46,565

Sennheiser uses the worst pads on mid-tier headphones. Those pads flatten like pancakes in such short amount of time. And the degradation of the pads do affect the sound. I dunno why they don't use materials that are more durable and retain their shape and quality. Who knows, but then when you look into how much the stock pads cost, maybe that's why...

May 4, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #43,331 of 46,565
While the clamp is reduced, it's still firm on my head. The mid upper bass in particular sound almost like they just give a pop for the bass, yet the mids and highs are still as good as they used 2 be.

Is it possible to do a visual inspection of the drivers?

May 4, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #43,332 of 46,565
Picked up a pair of 6XX to wear while working, since my Aeons were just getting a bit heavy to wear all day. I actually bought a 6XX before a couple of months ago when I wanted to buy my first "hifi" headphone, it arrived with some right driver issues (had a rattle in the bass). I wasn't too impressed with the low end, completely lacking on that set, so sent it back for a refund and didn't look back. Upped my budget to the Aeons and while I do enjoy them, I might say I would have probably stuck with the 6XX if they sounded like the pair I just received. It certainly has enough bass for me. I thought that first pair was representative of the sound I read about (not having low end etc), but def something was wrong with them. Sounds bliss, almost as smooth as my Aeons for half the price.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #43,333 of 46,565
Sennheiser uses the worst pads on mid-tier headphones. Those pads flatten like pancakes in such short amount of time. And the degradation of the pads do affect the sound. I dunno why they don't use materials that are more durable and retain their shape and quality. Who knows, but then when you look into how much the stock pads cost, maybe that's why...
I have complained directly to Sennheiser (both in Germany & Canada) about the crummy quality of the stock Senn pads, especially for the asking price. Terrible value. I recently ordered replacement pads currently on sale from Brainwavz (still waiting for them though) for half the price that Sennheiser charges. I forwarded my Brainwavz order confirmation to Sennheiser Canada to prove that their stock pads are way overpriced considering how quickly they deteriorate.

May 4, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #43,334 of 46,565

With my older/flatter pads, my 600's have less treble and slightly more bass. A lot of 600 owners feel that flatter pads are more desirable. I'd think it would be the other way around for the 650's since those headphones have more bass and have less treble than the 600's.
The bass was reduced, the treble increased with the new pads.

May 4, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #43,335 of 46,565

I just looked again at the measurements between old pads and new pads.
The old pads have increased energy between 10hz and 4khz. The treble above 4khz. is pretty much the same.
The result would be a "bassier" sound with flattened down old pads, since the bass is increased relative to the treble.

I'll find out soon. I have a pair of new Senn. pads on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back