Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #42,556 of 46,564
Does it also make the uppermids a bit smoother around 4khz? I have no problems with the highs, just on electrical guitars, the energy seems a bit too high as compared to the treble
I would say yes, I grabbed my pads from Amazon for free with their $70 free gift card for just applying for one of their cards. :)

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #42,561 of 46,564
Hey. I'm a current owner of both Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 S. I purchased both of them for music production purposes – the Sennheiser HD600 mainly because of its flat curve and the Sennheiser HD800 S for detail and clarity. Of course, I was also hoping that the Sennheiser HD800 S would be nice for casual listening – which they okay at – but I honestly consider them to be better at analytic listening and aimed at certain genres like Classical. However, I listen mainly to electronic music like techno, d&b, house, where the bass is an important component. I sometimes use a software EQ to bring out more bass and a little treble from the HD800 S.

It feels slightly ridiculous, but I've been considering getting the HD650 for more engaging "casual" listening (e.g. bass-heavy music) where I don't care too much about the analytics. To be honest, I mostly love listening to music with my AirPods, even though they really give an incomplete and biased view of the audio.

I would like to hear your opinion, is the HD650 arguably a way to go here, or should I just forget about Sennheiser altogether? I say that as also being an owner of Sennheiser HD-25 ii which is no high-end can by any stretch of the imagination, but I wonder how far the Sennheiser flavour really can go. I appreciate Sennheiser but is HD650 the one to get for "fun listening" when I seem to prefer AirPods over everything else? Should I be looking at another brand?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #42,562 of 46,564
Hey. I'm a current owner of both Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 S. I purchased both of them for music production purposes – the Sennheiser HD600 mainly because of its flat curve and the Sennheiser HD800 S for detail and clarity. Of course, I was also hoping that the Sennheiser HD800 S would be nice for casual listening – which they okay at – but I honestly consider them to be better at analytic listening and aimed at certain genres like Classical. However, I listen mainly to electronic music like techno, d&b, house, where the bass is an important component. I sometimes use a software EQ to bring out more bass and a little treble from the HD800 S.

It feels slightly ridiculous, but I've been considering getting the HD650 for more engaging "casual" listening (e.g. bass-heavy music) where I don't care too much about the analytics. To be honest, I mostly love listening to music with my AirPods, even though they really give an incomplete and biased view of the audio.

I would like to hear your opinion, is the HD650 arguably a way to go here, or should I just forget about Sennheiser altogether? I say that as also being an owner of Sennheiser HD-25 ii which is no high-end can by any stretch of the imagination, but I wonder how far the Sennheiser flavour really can go. I appreciate Sennheiser but is HD650 the one to get for "fun listening" when I seem to prefer AirPods over everything else? Should I be looking at another brand?
Beyerdynamic DT 150, if you value quality bass for EDM. Has a similar natural tone like the HD 650, but with way better subbass impact

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #42,563 of 46,564

While I like the 650’s, I’d not recommend them as someone looking for bass (eg. EDM).. they are still definitely more ‘technical’ oriented.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #42,564 of 46,564
Does it also make the uppermids a bit smoother around 4khz? I have no problems with the highs, just on electrical guitars, the energy seems a bit too high as compared to the treble

The electric guitar being too aggressive on 650 one of the main reasons to what made me keep 660S and sell 650.

If you can find a 650 dated around 2015 it doesnt have as much of the upper mid problem and much easier on the ear.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #42,565 of 46,564

Or maybe this means it’s time to embrace IEMs and earbuds? :D

There are no shortage of “well rated” bass/energy-focused IEMs priced low (for US consumers), many of which are running DD or hybrids configurations.

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #42,566 of 46,564
The electric guitar being too aggressive on 650 one of the main reasons to what made me keep 660S and sell 650.

If you can find a 650 dated around 2015 it doesnt have as much of the upper mid problem and much easier on the ear.
I have one from 2012, and it still is a bit annoying sometimes with songs with a lot of upper mid info.

But my Beyer DT 150 is for those occasions that I'm not in the mood for those hyped upper mids

Jun 18, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #42,567 of 46,564
Is it just the ear cushions getting worn off (becoming soft or hard or flat) giving the sensation of sound difference? . Or did sennheiser had few bad batches? From my experience having 2 hd650s at the same time, which I bought cheap for flipping after changng the cushions ( got both for 90 each from a studio) , both sounded different before the cuahion change. One was really worn out and was less hard, making it get flat easily on head. The other ones cushion was stiff. The one with flatter cushion sounded more bright as the drivers were always bit more closer to my ears. After changing both of them to newer pads, they sounded the same. Since they were out of a studio , I assume they both were the same batch which sounded different with just different pads.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #42,568 of 46,564

I have the HD650 and HD6XX, but I prefer the less technical sound of the HD58X for most music. The bass on the HD58X is way better too. Some have commented that the 58X can be grainy, I don't hear anything unusual with them (I have 2 pair of 58X) and don't know what grain sounds like.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #42,569 of 46,564
I have the HD650 and HD6XX, but I prefer the less technical sound of the HD58X for most music. The bass on the HD58X is way better too. Some have commented that the 58X can be grainy, I don't hear anything unusual with them (I have 2 pair of 58X) and don't know what grain sounds like.
Beyerdynamic DT 150 would definitely be cleaner with better bass impact for EDM, since it's cleaner and clearer than the HD 650 as well, especially with a Mogami 2893 cable mod. If you want less bass quantity than basshead emphasis (with the stock pads, but the bass is very tight) you can get the DT-100 velours, and the bass will still be thumping and extended, yet the mids and highs will be more intact.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #42,570 of 46,564
Is it just the ear cushions getting worn off (becoming soft or hard or flat) giving the sensation of sound difference? . Or did sennheiser had few bad batches? From my experience having 2 hd650s at the same time, which I bought cheap for flipping after changng the cushions ( got both for 90 each from a studio) , both sounded different before the cuahion change. One was really worn out and was less hard, making it get flat easily on head. The other ones cushion was stiff. The one with flatter cushion sounded more bright as the drivers were always bit more closer to my ears. After changing both of them to newer pads, they sounded the same. Since they were out of a studio , I assume they both were the same batch which sounded different with just different pads.

Ive owned 5 sets of HD650, only worn pads were used during the testing as im aware of the change in sound. 2015 version was the nicest sounding and some change happend around 2016/17 when the HD6XX came out. last year I purchased 4 new HD650s from different places and with multiple amps and sources i could not get them to sound as beautiful as the one i purchased and regretfully sold in 2015. I noticed all the newer sets had a silver square foil sticker under the grill (not showing up in this old picture though)

IMG_1400.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back