Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #38,836 of 46,514
For those of you that believe in burning in the HD 650, could you please advise on how many hours ?

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #38,837 of 46,514
For those of you that believe in burning in the HD 650, could you please advise on how many hours ?

Mine needed about 12 hours of EDM at moderate volumes to start opening up. When I first got my new ones (a few days ago - my old pair were from 2003 and really really worn). I'm sure the sound will get better with further burn in, but the first few hours, at least to my ears, made a huge difference.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #38,838 of 46,514
Mine needed about 12 hours of EDM at moderate volumes to start opening up. When I first got my new ones (a few days ago - my old pair were from 2003 and really really worn). I'm sure the sound will get better with further burn in, but the first few hours, at least to my ears, made a huge difference.

LOL HD650 OPENING UP? GIVE ME A BREAK.

#FOREVERVEILED

deadhorse.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #38,840 of 46,514

100ish, with music, moderate volume, on a dummy head. Safe, approximates real world use.

IMO

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #38,841 of 46,514
  I've had the HD650 for a week now. I also have an X2 now and the Elear previously. My biggest issue with the HD650 is the lack of bass. I'm a bit of a basshead so this is a big glaring flaw for me.  Elear was perfect for me. X2 is a bit lacking in the sub bass but it was still bearable. HD650 is way too lean in the bottom end. Not only it's lean in the bottom end, it's also lean in the lower midrange where male vocals are. Many people describe HD650 as warm but to my ears through my Mojo, it is lean. I would describe my HD650 as, lean bass, lean midrange, beautiful upper midrange and rolled off treble. It sounds like an MDR1A with much less bass.

Many people recommend HD650 with tubes. Could it be that they are trying to add warmness to the sound to compensate the lean low midrange?

HD650 is still a good headphone in my books. The transparency and detail in the midrange and treble are unmatched at this price point. I just think it's low-end capability is severely outdated

I think this is the first time I've ever read the HD 650 described as "lean". Congrats.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #38,842 of 46,514
I bet anything it's the Mojo.  Gumby->Zana Deux/Jot->HD650 is hardly bass light.  Sure, there isn't as much sub bass as mid bass but it's not as rolled off as measurements show.  Modded, it really starts to shine.   

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #38,843 of 46,514
Thanks for the answers.
Seems like I forgot something in my previous post. I'm a sales guy so I'm traveling a lot. Therefore a portable and easy to use solution is important for me right now. Therefore the HD650 Groove bundle seemed awesome especially at that price.

In the future I will probably invest some more into a stationary setup at home but right now I want to enjoy my music and stuff on the road too.:)

I bookmarked the suggestions for the home setup though. Thanks again.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #38,846 of 46,514
Thanks for the answers.
Seems like I forgot something in my previous post. I'm a sales guy so I'm traveling a lot. Therefore a portable and easy to use solution is important for me right now. Therefore the HD650 Groove bundle seemed awesome especially at that price.

In the future I will probably invest some more into a stationary setup at home but right now I want to enjoy my music and stuff on the road too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bookmarked the suggestions for the home setup though. Thanks again.

​I would suggest another headphone for traveling since the HD650 does not fold up into anything portable (to me a least), find a easy to drive headphone so its good from even your smart phone if you want portable and easy to use.  I also think you might want to look at a closed back headphone if using it out and about.

FWIW I normally take a V-Moda XS and either MDR-7506 or if I really want good sounds then I take my EL8, all will sound quite good with my Fiio X3 or X3ii.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #38,847 of 46,514
I bet anything it's the Mojo.  Gumby->Zana Deux/Jot->HD650 is hardly bass light.  Sure, there isn't as much sub bass as mid bass but it's not as rolled off as measurements show.  Modded, it really starts to shine.   

Yeah, that would be my guess as well. I had a Mojo around for about a month and although it was a great unit it did lack some dynamics and sounded quite "lean" in its overall presentation to me.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #38,848 of 46,514
Mimby>Jot>Balanced HD650s have very good bass. Not 2x12" subwoofers in the trunk bass, but it's about quality not quantity. I was listening to some Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty last night and I was very pleased with the bass.

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #38,849 of 46,514
  I've had the HD650 for a week now. I also have an X2 now and the Elear previously. My biggest issue with the HD650 is the lack of bass. I'm a bit of a basshead so this is a big glaring flaw for me.  Elear was perfect for me. X2 is a bit lacking in the sub bass but it was still bearable. HD650 is way too lean in the bottom end. Not only it's lean in the bottom end, it's also lean in the lower midrange where male vocals are. Many people describe HD650 as warm but to my ears through my Mojo, it is lean. I would describe my HD650 as, lean bass, lean midrange, beautiful upper midrange and rolled off treble. It sounds like an MDR1A with much less bass.

Many people recommend HD650 with tubes. Could it be that they are trying to add warmness to the sound to compensate the lean low midrange?

HD650 is still a good headphone in my books. The transparency and detail in the midrange and treble are unmatched at this price point. I just think it's low-end capability is severely outdated

An amplifier with more "punch" would help a lot.  The Jotunheim is such an amp, but it is a desktop solution only.  There are plenty of other options...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back