Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #38,327 of 46,514
I just got another HD650. I had one it was probably about 5 or 6 years or so ago, and ended up having to sell it and the Headroom desktop amp/DAC I was using with it. then I used nothing but cheap IEM's for a little while, then got the bug again and had gotten a Q701 and an E17 about 4 years or so ago, and then slowly kept upgrading the amp and dac to go with it. For the last year and a half I've just been using the Q701 with my LG V10 which has the ESS Sabre ES9018 and ES9602 chips in it, so it's very good for a smartphone. 

Then when I saw Massdrop was doing their own version of the HD650 for $200, I tried to get in on it and wasn't able to and ever since It's been in the back of my mind. I remember liking these the last time I had one and kind of missed that sound. So last week I finally decided to just shop around online and on ebay and got a mint condition HD650 for a decent price and ordered a Schiit Magni 2 Uber as well to use with them and my ODAC and laptop. The Schiit hasn't arrived yet so until friday I'm just using my LG V10 and it's actually sounding very good. 53% volume is about the volume level I prefer. So there is plenty of power here for me. I still plan to use the Magni2U/Odac with my laptop once it arrives. I don't know how many hours ar on this HD650, but it looks brand new. The previous owner said they were very lightly used. They sound just how I remember them, somewhat laid back and bassy, but smooth and pleasant. It'll be a good contrast to my Q701. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #38,328 of 46,514

The acoustics are fine, although I don't listen to the Senn's so much as I tend to be sitting outside a lot in the sunshine. Outside I use the Vyrus IEM's. It was my birthday last week so we're going to see the Rammstein movie in Avignon this Thursday. Really looking forward to that. Stunning cinematography & Rammstein in surround should be excellent.

http://www.rammstein-paris.co.uk/synopsis

eek.gif

Man, I haven't been to Avignon - where I left my Stax Lambda, Jadis DA30, and Meridian 207 behind - since 2000. I was wondering if the city still existed :) Thanks for confirming!

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #38,329 of 46,514
  The stock cable for 650 is not bad. Actually quite good, and long.
After-market HP cables don't really do that much for me.

After 13 years of using the Stefan Audioart Equinox cable, I've decided to use the stock cable again (I had used it maybe for one hour when I first got the HD650 in 2004) just to see if there'd be a difference. There's a slight difference indeed, and now I think I like the stock cable better. How funny.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #38,330 of 46,514

Man, I haven't been to Avignon - where I left my Stax Lambda, Jadis DA30, and Meridian 207 behind - since 2000. I was wondering if the city still existed :) Thanks for confirming!

Did you maybe, by any chance, leave them in a well-sealed container under a bush somewhere and would be only too happy if one of your European colleagues to pick them up?

Nah, seriously, Avignon is as beautiful as ever. I'd be interested to know why you were there, PM me if you want. I live just 18km from Avignon.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #38,331 of 46,514
These things seem to have all the same detail that the Q701 has, but is just presented in a nicer way.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #38,332 of 46,514
These things seem to have all the same detail that the Q701 has, but is just presented in a nicer way.

I also moved from the Q701 to the HD 650 and it was such a relief to me. The Senn's are far more comfortable physically as well as sonically.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #38,333 of 46,514
I also moved from the Q701 to the HD 650 and it was such a relief to me. The Senn's are far more comfortable physically as well as sonically.

I plan on keeping the Q701 around, but I see myself using the HD650 more.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #38,334 of 46,514

The acoustics are fine, although I don't listen to the Senn's so much as I tend to be sitting outside a lot in the sunshine. Outside I use the Vyrus IEM's. It was my birthday last week so we're going to see the Rammstein movie in Avignon this Thursday. Really looking forward to that. Stunning cinematography & Rammstein in surround should be excellent.

http://www.rammstein-paris.co.uk/synopsis

eek.gif

Thanks for sharing this link...I didn't know about this event...and it's playing in my city TONIGHT!

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #38,336 of 46,514
  Thanks for sharing this link...I didn't know about this event...and it's playing in my city TONIGHT!

It's playing worldwide tonight. As far as I know this is a first. I think it's going to be incredible! This might be the future for those of us less fortunate people who either can't attend or can't afford the big gigs.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #38,338 of 46,514
Hi everyone. I've been a constant head-fi reader for a long time but I joined the community just recently. This audiophile world can be overwhelming sometimes.

I really don't have much experience with equipment. A while ago I had a FiiO X3 2nd gen, after that I tried the xduoo x3 and I liked the sound of it so much better than the FiiO. I had a pair of beyers dt770 pro that made my head hurt, then I bought some Brainwavz HM5 to find out that I really hated that sound, I tried the audio technica's ad700x and I liked them but my ears couldn't stand that signature for more than 30 minutes. So I decided to invest a little more and got my hd650 and wow do I love them! these are just perfect for me. 

Now I'm trying to find an amp for my headphones, I have been spending money on things that in the end are not that good; fiio Q1, xduoo xd-05, a little nobsound NS-02E. But I also have a $300 usd budget, that including shipping and hoping I don't get robbed with customs.

I´ve read a lot of recommendations in this thread but in the end it is impossible for me to try the amps for myself and blind shopping can be really expensive.

Hopefully someone can help me decide between the amps I think can be good for me and my budget, I really just want to sit back and enjoy my hd650s for pleasure listening and I have no plans of getting new or different cans in the near future.

My options are:

- Project Polaris
- Asgard 2
- Aune x7s
- Project Solstice/Sunrise
- Xduoo TA-03

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #38,339 of 46,514
  Hi everyone. I've been a constant head-fi reader for a long time but I joined the community just recently. This audiophile world can be overwhelming sometimes.

I really don't have much experience with equipment. A while ago I had a FiiO X3 2nd gen, after that I tried the xduoo x3 and I liked the sound of it so much better than the FiiO. I had a pair of beyers dt770 pro that made my head hurt, then I bought some Brainwavz HM5 to find out that I really hated that sound, I tried the audio technica's ad700x and I liked them but my ears couldn't stand that signature for more than 30 minutes. So I decided to invest a little more and got my hd650 and wow do I love them! these are just perfect for me. 

Now I'm trying to find an amp for my headphones, I have been spending money on things that in the end are not that good; fiio Q1, xduoo xd-05, a little nobsound NS-02E. But I also have a $300 usd budget, that including shipping and hoping I don't get robbed with customs.

I´ve read a lot of recommendations in this thread but in the end it is impossible for me to try the amps for myself and blind shopping can be really expensive.

Hopefully someone can help me decide between the amps I think can be good for me and my budget, I really just want to sit back and enjoy my hd650s for pleasure listening and I have no plans of getting new or different cans in the near future.

My options are:

- Project Polaris
- Asgard 2
- Aune x7s
- Project Solstice/Sunrise
- Xduoo TA-03

Thanks!

I'd say spend a little bit more and get the schiit jotunheim with the built in dac.

edit: just to add jotunheim is very synergistic with the HD 650.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #38,340 of 46,514
I agree HD650 sounds fantastic on Jotunheim with a balanced cable. I use mine with Modi Multibit DAC but I've heard good things about the built in dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back