Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #38,296 of 46,506
Edit: the biggest negative for me with the Ember is definitely the open design which I really don't care much for but then again nothing is perfect.....

"open design": Do you mean the adjustable settings, or the clear transparent body?

It is available with solid aluminum tops, I think.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #38,297 of 46,506
There's only so far you can take the hd 650. 

But how far is that? :wink:

"open design": Do you mean the adjustable settings, or the clear transparent body?

It is available with solid aluminum tops, I think.

I was thinking about the lack of side plates, makes it very easy for dust to get access. Yeah, there's a option for aluminum and I opted for it since I think it looks better.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #38,299 of 46,506
  Off topic, but how do you dust something like that? How do you keep it clean? 

Simply remove the 4 screws that keep the top plate on (clear acrylic or aluminum) and blow lightly.  Note, I believe the sides of this unit is wide open.  In other words this amp is not completely enclosed.

Check out a good picture of the Ember & Modi MB someone posted on the last page of the Modi Multibit thread.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #38,301 of 46,506
Mar 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #38,302 of 46,506
... to see if a high output impedance amp will indeed be better for the HD650 than my two existing setups. My question is if there's any other sub $350 (shipped to Europe) high output impedance amplifier that I should consider?

High output impedance, in and of itself, is not a desirable trait in an amplifier.
The BH Crack doesn't sound good because it has a high output impedance; it sounds good because it's an output transformer-less tube circuit, and a necessary limitation of "most" OTL tube amps (certainly those with only one output tube) is that they have high-ish output impedance. That adversely affects their performance with lower impedance loads, but the HD650 impedance is "high enough" and they are sensitive enough that the Crack can still drive them pretty well.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #38,303 of 46,506
  There's only so far you can take the hd 650. 

You'd be surprised. My one travelled from the USA to Scotland, then to Spain & finally (so far) to France.

Off topic, but how do you dust something like that? How do you keep it clean? 

A Giotto Rocket Blower does a grand job of keeping it clean. Better in fact than a regular encased amp with ventilation slots on top because the Ember does actually get cleaned.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #38,306 of 46,506

You'd be surprised. My one travelled from the USA to Scotland, then to Spain & finally (so far) to France.

Not as far as mine.

Arizona to Tennessee to Calgary to me.

FedEx Economy -- aka Continental Tour N.A.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #38,308 of 46,506
  Not as far as mine.

Arizona to Tennessee to Calgary to me.

FedEx Economy -- aka Continental Tour N.A.

You need a bigger map mate.
beerchug.gif

Your amp travelled 3,700 miles, roughly. My amp's travelled 7,500 miles.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #38,309 of 46,506

You need a bigger map mate.
beerchug.gif

Your amp travelled 3,700 miles, roughly. My amp's travelled 7,500 miles.

I was in Iceland at the time, visiting. Not even including subsequent hauling as a "traveling" amp.

cheers -- how's the acoustics in Provence? 
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #38,310 of 46,506
  I was in Iceland at the time, visiting. Not even including subsequent hauling as a "traveling" amp.

cheers -- how's the acoustics in Provence? 
beerchug.gif

The acoustics are fine, although I don't listen to the Senn's so much as I tend to be sitting outside a lot in the sunshine. Outside I use the Vyrus IEM's. It was my birthday last week so we're going to see the Rammstein movie in Avignon this Thursday. Really looking forward to that. Stunning cinematography & Rammstein in surround should be excellent.

http://www.rammstein-paris.co.uk/synopsis

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back