Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #37,381 of 46,514
They are completely different.

One is V shaped and bass emphasized with hot treble, the other is mid-centric with natural highs.

Personally if I had to choose one and go to the proverbial desert island, a set of properly driven 650's are coming with me.

I owned the 7000 for a few years and I currently own the 650 (for the 3rd time!).The 7000 is a fun headphone with amazing bass and is still quite resolving while the 650 is more even and natural sounding, both are excellent.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #37,383 of 46,514
I bought this HGC 3ft litz braid 8 cores 5n Pcocc hybrid silver plated copper cable upgrade for my HD600 from amazon. For about 70 bucks. What are your opinions on this cable? Is silver plated copper good? Is litz braid really good?

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #37,384 of 46,514
Tell me please, what is the best buy
akg k712pro
fidelio x2
hd 650?
The source of the sound I have a schiit stack : modi2+magni2
I listen to mostly heavy music, metal, alternative
Still love music with atmospheric sound with a wide sound stage
Such groups as "tezce" "drip 133" 
Here are some examples of the tracks :
tezce - apathy
home - resonance
drip-133 – ethy643 
Still love to listen to Lana Del rey, just going crazy on her sweet vocals

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #37,385 of 46,514
akg k712pro
fidelio x2
hd 650?
tezce - apathy
home - resonance
drip-133 – ethy643 

Wide sounstage and boosted bass I'd say X2, more realistic, though good deep bass some more details and better treble I'd go for the K712. The treble on the X2 is not that great IMO but I noticed after using the HD650, couldn't go back

I love my HD650 but its soundstage is not too wide, has some nice depth though..best is listen for yourself, but you know this of course
wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #37,386 of 46,514
akg k712pro
fidelio x2
hd 650?
tezce - apathy
home - resonance
drip-133 – ethy643 

after listening to some of the tracks you listed, best sound to me is a Ypsilon build (a Grado RS clone)
HD-650 to slow and the bass is muddy for those genres
X2 might be better than HD-650 but not by much but with your modi2-Magni2 it might be the best match
I don't have a K712pro but on my K7XX it was just okay

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #37,388 of 46,514
  after listening to some of the tracks you listed, best sound to me is a Ypsilon build (a Grado RS clone)
HD-650 to slow and the bass is muddy for those genres
X2 might be better than HD-650 but not by much but with your modi2-Magni2 it might be the best match
I don't have a K712pro but on my K7XX it was just okay

HD650 you like a lot more than 7xx ?
Which genres are more suited 650 in your opinion?

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #37,389 of 46,514
  HD650 you like a lot more than 7xx ?
Which genres are more suited 650 in your opinion?

I do like the HD-650 more than the K7XX, it has one of the best over all sound signatures for almost all genres of music IMO.  It also will scale with better equipment and its quite comfortable.  The K7XX is good but its not a headphone that I will reach for often and I've found that it can be picky with amps.  Some love the K7XX over the HD-650 for the better sound stage and bass that is a little cleaner while others like the HD-650 for its forgiving nature of poor or sub-par recording.  Only you can really decide which is the better headphone for you.

I can and do listen to almost all genres of music with the HD-650 except for classical and large orchestra pieces, this is where the average to less than average sound stage of the HD-650 is at a disadvantage.  I usually listen to jazz, R&B, blues, pop, Kpop, Jpop, and rock on the HD-650 but depending on which amp I have on I might use one of my other headphones.

When I first get a headphone I will normally play a set list of songs which has all the genres I normally listen to and it helps me to understand the strengths and weaknesses of that headphone and I will usually do the list of songs a few times with different DACs and amps to see what sounds good, great, or so-so, but this is my preferences only.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #37,390 of 46,514
  I do like the HD-650 more than the K7XX, it has one of the best over all sound signatures for almost all genres of music IMO.  It also will scale with better equipment and its quite comfortable.  The K7XX is good but its not a headphone that I will reach for often and I've found that it can be picky with amps.  Some love the K7XX over the HD-650 for the better sound stage and bass that is a little cleaner while others like the HD-650 for its forgiving nature of poor or sub-par recording.  Only you can really decide which is the better headphone for you.

I can and do listen to almost all genres of music with the HD-650 except for classical and large orchestra pieces, this is where the average to less than average sound stage of the HD-650 is at a disadvantage.  I usually listen to jazz, R&B, blues, pop, Kpop, Jpop, and rock on the HD-650 but depending on which amp I have on I might use one of my other headphones.

When I first get a headphone I will normally play a set list of songs which has all the genres I normally listen to and it helps me to understand the strengths and weaknesses of that headphone and I will usually do the list of songs a few times with different DACs and amps to see what sounds good, great, or so-so, but this is my preferences only.

That is true about the HD 650, it does have one of the most universally good sound signatures for all uses.

Regarding the K712 and K7XX, the K712 is honestly a better headphone, I rate it in the HD 650 league but a different sound signature, more HD 600'ish, it's of a higher fidelity than the rest of the K7 series and sounds the most natural imho, it's imaging is a bit different and more natural. But like the rest of the K7, bass impact and slam isn't really a strong point unless you find the perfect pairing for it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #37,391 of 46,514
  That is true about the HD 650, it does have one of the most universally good sound signatures for all uses.

Regarding the K712 and K7XX, the K712 is honestly a better headphone, I rate it in the HD 650 league but a different sound signature, more HD 600'ish, it's of a higher fidelity than the rest of the K7 series and sounds the most natural imho, it's imaging is a bit different and more natural. But like the rest of the K7, bass impact and slam isn't really a strong point unless you find the perfect pairing for it.

Hey,
are the K712s as euphoric sounding as the 650s? I want a 650 sound with a huge soundstage.
I am also going to try the DT 1770s this weekend. So considering them as well.
I listen to classic rock, progressive rock and pop currently. I am looking for a smooth lush sounding can with a huge soundstage.
(BTW I own DT 150s and HD 650s)

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #37,392 of 46,514
Hey,
are the K712s as euphoric sounding as the 650s? I want a 650 sound with a huge soundstage.
I am also going to try the DT 1770s this weekend. So considering them as well.
I listen to classic rock, progressive rock and pop currently. I am looking for a smooth lush sounding can with a huge soundstage.
(BTW I own DT 150s and HD 650s)

You might want to try a different amp, since the HD 650 will scale depending on your gear. I currently use a Garage1217 Project Polaris amp (http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_015.htm) and it provides a lot of headroom. It comes with various settings you can change on the fly to help augment the can's classic smooth and lush sound as well. The Polaris is a good option if you don't want to go hunt for a different headphone. It's a solid state but has a hint of tube, and is on the warm side of neutral, and that should give you what you are looking for.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #37,394 of 46,514
Does anyone know where to buy connectors for the HD650 in europe? 

Can't you buy it from the online shop of Sennheiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back