Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #37,141 of 46,554
  Has the cracking headband problem ever been solved with HD650? I'm interested in buying a pair but I'm unsure because of all the cracking I see.

Only cracked headband I have ever seen was caused by someone trying to adjust them to loosen the clamping force.  They tried to bend the plastic not the metal. Snap.

These are well built cans and with proper care I can see them lasting a lifetime...

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #37,142 of 46,554
Hey guys, can someone help me out with a recommendation for an amp for the HD650.

My main source of music is through Spotify through my laptop and iPad so the amp must have suitable connectivity for these.

I also currently have an Audioquest Dragonfly so maybe an amp that pairs well with this, if this is even possible?

I would like to keep the budget to around 200 euro and preferably source the amp in Ireland or the UK. 

Thanks lads

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #37,143 of 46,554
  Hey guys, can someone help me out with a recommendation for an amp for the HD650.

My main source of music is through Spotify through my laptop and iPad so the amp must have suitable connectivity for these.

I also currently have an Audioquest Dragonfly so maybe an amp that pairs well with this, if this is even possible?

I would like to keep the budget to around 200 euro and preferably source the amp in Ireland or the UK. 

Thanks lads

Im in the review process of the the RHA DACAMP, my initial listening to it suggest that it is quite a good pair, and can fit the bill of your requirements, maybe minus the budget hha

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #37,145 of 46,554

Thanks lads

Outside your budget unfortunately, but I'm loving the sound and simplicity of an iPad mini 2 streaming Spotify premium to the Jotunheim dac/amp combo. Got tired of the OCD management of my FLAC library. Gradually down-sized from a NAD M51 and Ragnarok and now slumming it with the much simpler setup below. Glad to concede that whilst it's not the absolute best I've heard the HD650 sound - it's still quite wonderful and more than good enough for me.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #37,146 of 46,554

Outside your budget unfortunately, but I'm loving the sound and simplicity of an iPad mini 2 streaming Spotify premium to the Jotunheim dac/amp combo. Got tired of the OCD management of my FLAC library. Gradually down-sized from a NAD M51 and Ragnarok and now slumming it with the much simpler setup below. Glad to concede that whilst it's not the absolute best I've heard the HD650 sound - it's still quite wonderful and more than good enough for me.

Looks like a sweet setup you have there but unfortunately out of my budget at the moment.

How are you streaming from spotify and does this not compromise the sound quality? 

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #37,148 of 46,554
  I'm streaming Spotify premium on the iPad mini. I'm not streaming wirelessly to the dac. The iPad mini is connected via usb to the Jotunheim's internal dac.

Sorry of course you didnt mean wirelessly...

I see Schiit have a few other amps in their range which is more in my price bracket, any idea how these perform and can be connected to laptop and iPad?

Fulla 2
Asgard 2
Vali 2

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #37,149 of 46,554
  Sorry of course you didnt mean wirelessly...

I see Schiit have a few other amps in their range which is more in my price bracket, any idea how these perform and can be connected to laptop and iPad?

Fulla 2
Asgard 2
Vali 2

the Asgard and the Vali are amps only, you would need a DAC to connect your iPad to in between the iPad and the amp for that to work. The dragonfly would work with a stereo 3.5mm to RCA Y cable. The Vali 2 is a much loved little tube amp that pairs very well with the 650. The Modi is the similarly priced(and sized) Schiit DAC that would work well with the Vali 2. 

The Fulla 2 is more similar to the Dragonfly. I haven't heard it (someone can back me up or refute this) but I believe it would be more of a side grade for you. 

EDIT: I should add that while the Dragonfly would work with the above amps, it's not ideal because the Dragonfly does not have a DAC only output, it's still an amplified signal. The Vali and Asgard will work best with a dedicated DAC like the Modi that has RCA out. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #37,150 of 46,554
  the Asgard and the Vali are amps only, you would need a DAC to connect your iPad to in between the iPad and the amp for that to work. The dragonfly would work with a stereo 3.5mm to RCA Y cable. The Vali 2 is a much loved little tube amp that pairs very well with the 650. The Modi is the similarly priced(and sized) Schiit DAC that would work well with the Vali 2. 

The Fulla 2 is more similar to the Dragonfly. I haven't heard it (someone can back me up or refute this) but I believe it would be more of a side grade for you. 

Thanks for that mate.

I would prefer an all-in-one Amp and DAC if I can manage it.

Any suggestions around the 200 euro mark? I could possibly stretch a little further if necessary

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #37,151 of 46,554
There are a few products for that price. You might get more value looking for used gear. I have a Nuforce Icon HD that is a discontinued product, but is like what you are looking for. The HDP is more common and just has some extra outputs. Used, those should be in your price range and I think it sounds fine. I just use the DAC portion now. The JDSLabs ODAC+Objective2 Amp can be bought as a combo (both in the same box) and is well known and well liked. Not sure what it runs in Euro though. The Aune T1 is a popular little DAC/Amp from a few years ago, I tried it out and it sounded great. Fiio also makes good budget stuff but I haven't heard anything since the E9. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #37,152 of 46,554
Thanks mate, I can get the JDSLabs ODAC+Objective2 delivered to Ireland for just over 300 euro, is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

What would be a good amp to pair up with the Audioquest Dragonfly?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #37,153 of 46,554
The O2 will not do the HD 650 justice.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #37,154 of 46,554
Some 600/650 owners do not like the O2 pairing with the headphones. When I heard it, it wasn't exactly to my preference, but I didn't think it sounded 'bad.' I prefer tube amps but comparing my Crack to the O2 is not a fair comparison.

'Budget' DAC/Amp combos can only do so much. The Fulla 2 has a lot of chatter about it being exceptional value. I haven't heard it but it might be more of an upgrade for you than I initially thought. It at least has enough power to drive the 650. 

Personally I'd save up for a Modi2/Vali2 stack. That's going to be a lot of value, and has great synergy with the 650.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #37,155 of 46,554
The Modi2/Vali2 stack will cost me 400 euro so I'm kinda doubling my initial budget but of course I want something that I won't want to upgrade after 6 months so if it's worth the investment I will consider it.

Apologies for this question, but how do the Modi2/Vali2 stack connect to each other and my laptop or ipad?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back