Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #36,706 of 46,514
Regarding the Nighthawk.

They are quite fantastic at the $350 price.  Would never be able to justify the original $600.  It is a great headphone but HIGHLY specialized with a VERY dark and veiled midrange and vocal presence.  The excellent low distortion throughout allows one to see that the treble extends quite nice, but without EQ, the entire upper half of the frequency range is quite veiled.

Sounds absolutely amazing with some of my music, the other 80% is a complete mess with the NH without EQ.

Of course, some people prefer a dark signature, nothing wrong with that, but it does a disservice to others looking to buy without pointing out the issues (or non-issues if the NH signature is your thing) like some have been doing lately now that the NH is a reasonable price.

Going back to my 650 after 2 weeks straight using my NH was like lifting a veil on the music for me.

Edit:  I will say that I am looking forward to trying the new pads.  If they bring up parts of the mids and treble like they are said to do, this could amend many of the complaints against the NH.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #36,707 of 46,514
There is a 15% off black friday sale going on most Bottlehead kits. Those who interested in an amp for their HD6X0's I think it's the right time to buy Bottlehead crack OTL kit.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #36,708 of 46,514
  I agree that Audioquest cables are pretty respectable, so much so that over the years I chose to use them for pretty much all of my 2 channel speaker and headphone systems.  But it's pretty comical that a respected cable manufacturer managed to screw up the one and only thing that they specialize in.  I'm sure the Night Hawks are a very good headphone, although I've never actually heard them before.  It's like a tire manufacturer decided to develop a really amazing car but all 4 tires blew when you drove the car off the lot...c'mon that's screw*** hilarious!!

It's sort of happened already. Remember the F1 2005 USA Grand Prix at Indy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_United_States_Grand_Prix

Maybe I shouldn't have every F1 race since 1950 on DVD? Doh!

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #36,709 of 46,514
Not once

But twice...Sennheiser.ca showcases the HD650 for Black Friday but the price remains at $580 Can...cruel..cruel.....lol...
rolleyes.gif

http://fr-ca.sennheiser.com/

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #36,712 of 46,514
  If Sennheiser allowed shipping to Canada from Amazon.com there are great deals from their "warehousedeals" at $261.69 which works out less than $400....but only if they ship USPS...: )

$261 USD = $353 CAD (+shipping + customs fees would probably be close to $400 CAD)

With the deal on Amazon UK, it's $400 CAD everything included for a brand new pair.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #36,713 of 46,514

$261 USD = $353 CAD (+shipping + customs fees would probably be close to $400 CAD)

With the deal on Amazon UK, it's $400 CAD everything included for a brand new pair.

O' Canada ....

Calculating import taxes mmmmmmm

but sometimes one can get lucky on Canuck Audio Mart or ofc fishing daily on kijiji :p

and sometimes though not often amazon.ca beats out the .com/.co.uk :D

but the hard part .... patience
biggrin.gif

-fellow Canuck from the TDot

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #36,714 of 46,514
How good is the iDSD Micro in terms of being paired with the 650? Am eyeing the black label edition as my first big Amp/Dac combo alongside the 6xx? 

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #36,715 of 46,514
How good is the iDSD Micro in terms of being paired with the 650? Am eyeing the black label edition as my first big Amp/Dac combo alongside the 6xx? 

Grab a Modi Multibit & Amp instead. Vali 2 pairs well as does Project Polaris if you prefer solid state. I'm assuming your budget is close to $500 based on idsd micro price?

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #36,716 of 46,514
Is headband snapping as severe / as common as it's made out to be? That's basically the only thing stopping me from being 100% sure about buying a 650 at this point. I don't have a particularly wide or large head, I know not to stretch the headphones out wide when putting it on (or in general), and I'm going to be stretching the metal arms to alleviate the clamp pressure out of the box which should take pressure off the headband in general. I will also only be using it quite lightly, an hour a day at the absolute maximum on average (though probably a lot more heavily when I first get it
smily_headphones1.gif
 ).

Surely it'd be pretty unlikely to happen, right?

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #36,717 of 46,514
  Is headband snapping as severe / as common as it's made out to be? That's basically the only thing stopping me from being 100% sure about buying a 650 at this point. I don't have a particularly wide or large head, I know not to stretch the headphones out wide when putting it on (or in general), and I'm going to be stretching the metal arms to alleviate the clamp pressure out of the box which should take pressure off the headband in general. I will also only be using it quite lightly, an hour a day at the absolute maximum on average. Surely it'd be pretty unlikely to happen, right?

There is no chance of it breaking if used like a headphone is supposed to be used. I have even accidentally dropped mine a few times off a table because of the cable catching on something and its still fine, only a tiny dent in one of the grills (HD600s but build wise its same.) The headphones don't really even need to be stretched much at all when put on the head since the cups are just the right width apart.

You just gotta put them on and enjoy music.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #36,718 of 46,514
Yeah, you're probably right. There are people who've had their 580/600/650 for well in excess of a decade with no headband problems for a reason. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #36,719 of 46,514
Grab a Modi Multibit & Amp instead. Vali 2 pairs well as does Project Polaris if you prefer solid state. I'm assuming your budget is close to $500 based on idsd micro price?

Around a ballpark range of 450-650. 

Problem there is that I'm looking for a solution that is also reasonably portable (Apart from Computer use, I intend to use this with my tablet). Hence why I was considering the Black Label iDSD Micro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back