Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #36,481 of 46,514
  ditto

Just yesterday I received notice from Massdrop at a chance to join the drop and have until tomorrow to commit...... but really… strip away all the hype and modeling shots on the "HD6XX" and with an objective point of view, disregarding the acoustic performance, the 6XXs really in this day and age might not pass as a sub $199 headphone...at least on looks alone
redface.gif
..and as I already having the 650s with their professional looking lacquered polished finish
biggrin.gif
...I may pass.... .
confused.gif

Yeah, there's basically no reason to buy one if you're a 650 owner... unless you intend to sell it for a profit when it's unavailable again 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Hell, you could probably justify buying one for the spare parts considering how steeply senn usually sell them, lol. Spare drivers, spare pads, spare grilles and a spare cable would probably run you about as much or more than a 6XX.

But I think it's been a good move for Senn. They get to sell a cheap version of one of their most popular models to those who otherwise wouldn't have bitten due to price, and all the while they've got basically free advertising for their premium priced 650 to remind people like me that it's around and still a tempting option. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #36,482 of 46,514
  ditto

Just yesterday I received notice from Massdrop at a chance to join the drop and have until tomorrow to commit...... but really… strip away all the hype and modeling shots on the "HD6XX" and with an objective point of view, disregarding the acoustic performance, the 6XXs really in this day and age might not pass as a sub $199 headphone...at least on looks alone
redface.gif
..and as I already having the 650s with their professional looking lacquered polished finish
biggrin.gif
...I may pass.... .
confused.gif

I would get it just to mod it and if you don't like the mods then keep it for spare parts, or you could paint it whatever color you like.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #36,483 of 46,514
  Yeah, there's basically no reason to buy one if you're a 650 owner... unless

I could easily think of a dozen reasons to and not to....but most of all a reason not to is I promised to keep my headphones to the minimum and I don't think duplicates, regardless of color fit into the equation...lol...but then again the "Blue Meanie", which I've christened the HD6XX, might come in handy...
Still 24hrs to decide....
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #36,484 of 46,514
  Yeah, there's basically no reason to buy one if you're a 650 owner... unless you intend to sell it for a profit when it's unavailable again 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Hell, you could probably justify buying one for the spare parts considering how steeply senn usually sell them, lol. Spare drivers, spare pads, spare grilles and a spare cable would probably run you about as much or more than a 6XX.

But I think it's been a good move for Senn. They get to sell a cheap version of one of their most popular models to those who otherwise wouldn't have bitten due to price, and all the while they've got basically free advertising for their premium priced 650 to remind people like me that it's around and still a tempting option. 

Yeah, I see where the Massdrop x Sennheiser collaboration is going...cos I'm one of those whom wouldn't have gotten a 600/650 due to the entry price where I'm from.

With the HD6XX however, I'm plunging into Senn's world head first because it just makes senns (sense)...
wink_face.gif

It's a good move to make some changes on the HD6XX because after trying out the 650s at the showroom, I wouldn't mind the "Blue Meanie" color scheme, 1/8 jack (easier to carry around the 1/4 adapter than the dongle for 650s) and shorter cable. I prefer the understated colour scheme of the HD6XX but hey, different folks different strokes. But to call the HD6XX colour scheme "cheap", you're just dissing the entire community (including Jude of HeadFi) that prefers something different from yourself. 

Alas, I digressed..this thread is supposed to be for 650s impression, not 6XXs...

I'm still getting my feet around the audio world and look forward to many insights by everyone here...

"Great gear, great sound, and great community."

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #36,485 of 46,514
  I prefer the understated colour scheme of the HD6XX but hey, different folks different strokes. But to call the HD6XX colour scheme "cheap", you're just dissing the entire community (including Jude of HeadFi) that prefers something different from yourself. 

lol, hardly. I genuinely think it looks cheap, I don't like it. It's the one deal-breaking flaw that it has for me. That's not an objective assertion, it's a subjective opinion. If people are so thin-skinned that they feel disrespected that a random person dislikes something that they prefer, going outside might be a good idea. I HIGHLY doubt Jude would give a **** about mine or anyone else's opinion on the paintjob, the same way I don't have a problem if somebody else prefers it. Like you said, different strokes.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #36,488 of 46,514
  lol, hardly. I genuinely think it looks cheap, I don't like it. It's the one deal-breaking flaw that it has for me. That's not an objective assertion, it's a subjective opinion. If people are so thin-skinned that they feel disrespected that a random person dislikes something that they prefer, going outside might be a good idea. I HIGHLY doubt Jude would give a **** about mine or anyone else's opinion on the paintjob, the same way I don't have a problem if somebody else prefers it. Like you said, different strokes.

I hear ya...and don't let anyone have a different opinion to yours..give it back to them!

#stayoutsidemate

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #36,490 of 46,514
I think the blue of the 6xx looks svelte.

popcorn.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #36,492 of 46,514
I'm more concerned about sound than the physical appearance of a headphone. The 6xx is a great opportunity for someone to grab a legendary phone at a discounted price. The money saved can go toward your amp or dac.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #36,495 of 46,514
How do you guys see the cheap looking headphone when it is on your head:p
Personally I'm get lost in the music and don't worry about that. If the headphones had moose antlers & sounded like the 650's I'd be ok with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back